Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help - getting trade quals recognised.

Help - getting trade quals recognised.

Old May 12th 2009, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

sukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nice
Default Help - getting trade quals recognised.

Hi,
Just had email from london about our eoi

OH has quals- c&g level 3 electrical and electronics servicing
but the guy says that part 1 & 2 do not meet their requirements ????

We haven't tried getting assessed because they assessed a level 2 being their level 3 in electronics servicing (ignored hubbys lvl3 we thought we'd get in easy on the other 2)
have received the certificates that you have sent me however I am not satisfied that "Part 1 - Electronics Servicing" and "Part 2 - Electronic Servicing". certificates are present.

The guy says as follows

I feel after having spoken to a visa officer that these certificates, although they are probably considered as a similar level of credit, are not the specific certificates that our policy states but probably more specific units in Consumer and Commercial Electronics towards a higher Electronics Servicing qualification. Perhaps you may shed some light on the Part 1 and Part 2 in regards to what you hold????????????????????

they are all city and guilds level 1 2 3 progression awards electrical and electronics servicing---consumer and commercial electronics.
how do i shed light??

he also says
An option could be to obtain a NZQA pre-assessment in hope that your qualification was assessed at level 4, as this would then be recognised by our policy

well if he says 1 and 2 aren't right, then how can we get assessed higher

sorry this is sooo long but i'm now pulling my hair out.

I did find a while ago something about all of this being assessed already (not on immi nz) but can i find it now, course not.
Old May 12th 2009, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Immihopeful is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help-regarding quals

Hi,

I am a newly registered user but alas have been viewing for a while, hello everyone!

sukilou78, me and my partner have been experiencing the same issue as yourselves only my city and guilds are 706 parts 1 and 2 as Professional chef, I did have these assessed by NZQA as was suggested to you, along with some other catering quals I possessed. NZQA came back to me with the same level 3 that is on the recognized quals list for C&G quals, we were hoping for level 4 in order to claim LTSSL points which in my case was an extra 25 with my experience bringing our total to 140.

We have been told that I cannot proceed to ITA unless I provide proof of apprenticeship and or a valid job offer, I cannot even claim the 50 points for recognized qual because chefs do not do a formal apprenticeship after college in general and this is required. I have 19 years of work experience in my profession and currently own and run my own restaurant, alas it seems NZ does not want my skills and we are seriously considering Aus.

Any feedback on this would be welcomed as to how to proceed in this predicament
Old May 12th 2009, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

sukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nice

we too originally had probs regarding the apprenticeship, we emailed a letter of reference from his employer which included slight wording re something about apprenticeship. but had no formal stuff.
They haven't mentioned it in the return email so fingers crossed they accepted it
Old May 12th 2009, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Immihopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again,

Is that right, I did have an informal apprenticeship this sounds a little like you I wish you luck I really do, the problem is if you read the wording on the recognized quals list it states that you need a formal traineeship I think with a registered training body. Unfortunately as you are aware these do not apply in all trades like mine and yours.

It is a seriously crazy situation as in on one hand NZ wants certain skills i.e. mine and yours and then on the other you cannot attain the ridicuolous level required in order to get in, it sounds like we are both highly skilled and they should recognized these skills with a bit more respect.

Good luck to you!
Old May 13th 2009, 2:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It'll be no consolation at all but plumbers have similar problems and that is with formal trade apprenticships and qualifications to craftsman standards.

I'm going to move this into the main forum so more folk can see it. I'll also jigger the title a little to help attract those who have been or are going through similar.
Old May 13th 2009, 8:17 am
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light
Post Re: Help - getting trade quals recognised.

Hi Guys. Sooooo glad to see others posting about this. Me and my OH have a similar problem and I can understand your frustration. My OH is an apprentice-served Boat Builder, now with nearly 30 years in the trade. He completed his 4 year apprenticeship between 79-83 and has a letter from his employer confirming completion. Unfortunately it was completed wholly in the work place without verification of an awarding body, so no formal certificate - nothing. He needs a National Certificate Level 4 in Boat Building (NZ qual) or UK equivialent. He only scores 60 points at present and thus needs a job offer to even able us to submit an EOI. Really frustrating. We don't plan to be there until next summer so trying to secure a job now, for then, before we can even demonstrate to an employer that we are serious enough to start the process is a big drawback. We reckon it will probably take a visit out there to secure work as we don't feel that any of this will worry employers. At least we are showing some commitment if my OH goes out for a visit.

Like yourselves, his skills are needed (his skill is on the LTSSL too) but NZIS policies are pretty inflexible - it would be fairer in my opinion if for those people that don't have a formal qualification but have something that is informal, like an in-house apprenticeship, that they conducted a skills assessment to test competence. My OH has never been held back because of his apprenticeship until now and it sucks! Shame we couldn't lobby them. Have thought about writing to the NZ Embassy. Any thoughts on that.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts, L

Last edited by Lizaberry; May 13th 2009 at 8:19 am. Reason: missed a word
Old May 13th 2009, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Help - getting trade quals recognised.

Just a note to further findings.

trades accepted===City & Guilds Electronics servicing (part1 and 2) nzqa level3

OH quals City & guilds Electrical and electronic servicing (level 2 and 3) uk

Both are exactly the same

The guy in london has focused on a sub heading--consumer and commercial electronics and has completely missed the point.

It took us 5hrs to find this out through various searches, unless it has only the words they want, they get a little side tracked.

So now waiting for his email to confirm all of this. (the hardest bit is writing it all down so they understand without it sounding like an idiot guide)
However I must note at least the guy is persistent.

He hasn't mentioned the apprenticeship this time so we are hoping he has accepted the reference. (no formal apprenticeship took place)

Luckily for us, if he takes the quals or not, as long as we get a job offer. we will have enough points.

now don't start me on the job bit, more hoops to jump through.

At the end of the day, we don't want it to be an easy process like in the UK because poor NZ would be over run with people. Therefore we prob. wouldn't go.

p.s we are not on the LTSSL his job is but not quals he needs a level 7 for that
Old May 13th 2009, 8:52 am
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs down Re: Help - getting trade quals recognised.

Could be good news for you on the qualification front then. Unfortunately, unlike electrics/electronics, etc. my OH has never had any need to study beyond getting his apprenticeship. That's always been enough until now. He doesn't have to keep up to speed with changes in regulations like with electrics and things like the 17th Edition and such like. Yes, he keeps his finger on the pulse, but over the years he has built up a wealth of knowledge and experience and is highly regarded by his customers for his workmanship. Like the professional chef with qualifications, is it not enough that they have as much experience as they have and are running their own restaurant? I know they put these policies in place to keep out the riff raff but they are also discriminating against genuinely skilled people. For my OH's occupation to be regarded as skilled he needs either the National Certificate (or equiv) I spoke of earlier, or 3 years experience. Well he has lots of experience and a letter from his employer at the time showing he completed a 4 year workplace apprenticeship. Where is the justice in the system here then? I know our situation is not unique and as Bev stated, plumbers seem to suffer the same fate too, but why should it have to be this way??
Old May 13th 2009, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Pinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nice

I am a Dispensing Optician, and the UK qualification is accepted by the New Zealand optical boards, which have registered me to practice in NZ, but because it's not on the LORQ I am having trouble with my 50 points

Also, my on-line EOI didn't award me my 25 point for 8 years experience, despite my listing it

What's going on?????
Old May 13th 2009, 10:33 am
Newbie to NZ

Have you been in contact with NZQA to get it assessed if that's the case. You can pay to get a pre-assessment done to support your EOI (so that you can get the ball rolling) but you must still get a full assessment done to support your IRA. I think that's right. Hope that helps. The list of UK recognised qualifications is rather narrow in my opinion. I have an HND in Business and Finance which is mentioned but some of the occupational based qualifications aren't. Strange, eh?
Old May 13th 2009, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Pinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nice

So, even if a load of people before you have had the exact same qualification assessed and accepted, you have to pay to have it assessed again?

Bonkers

xx
Old May 13th 2009, 10:51 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, I've answered here instead the thread you started earlier
This is from the Operations Manual which may help

SM14.20 Evidence
See previous policies: SM14.20 Effective 28/07/2008 SM14.20 Effective 24/07/2006 SM14.20 Effective 12/09/2005 SM14.20 Effective 28/09/2004 SM14.20 Effective 01/04/2004 SM14.20 Effective 17/12/2003
a.Principal applicants under the Skilled Migrant Category must submit their qualifications and provide a NZQA assessment (Pre Assessment Result (PAR), International Qualification Assessment (IQA) or Qualifications Assessment Report (QAR) (see SM14.35 (on page 33-4)) unless:

i their qualification(s) are included on the List of Recognised Qualifications; or

ii they have been awarded full or provisional registration by a New Zealand organisation authorised by law to give occupational registration, and registration involves an assessment that their overseas qualification(s) is comparable with a New Zealand qualification that is included on the List of Recognised Qualifications.
Hope this helps
Sue
Old May 13th 2009, 10:59 am
Newbie to NZ

I guess. A bit of a money spinner for them! You would think it would make better sense to publish a list of qualifications that gets regularly updated as people send them in for assessment to avoid duplication and unnecessary payment of fees. I don't intend to be the principal applicant even though I have my qualification and don't have to have it assessed, though my OH will (eventually) claim 20 points for it as a spousal qualification and I will be required to show the certification. If you have already got something from the NZ to say that you are registered to practice should that not be enough? This bit of Sue's post should surely be relevant -

"ii they have been awarded full or provisional registration by a New Zealand organisation authorised by law to give occupational registration, and registration involves an assessment that their overseas qualification(s) is comparable with a New Zealand qualification that is included on the List of Recognised Qualifications."
Old May 13th 2009, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pinkkat75
I am a Dispensing Optician, and the UK qualification is accepted by the New Zealand optical boards, which have registered me to practice in NZ, but because it's not on the LORQ I am having trouble with my 50 points

Also, my on-line EOI didn't award me my 25 point for 8 years experience, despite my listing it

What's going on?????

You need to get those 25 points sorted out sooner rather than later
Old May 13th 2009, 11:20 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Lizaberry
This bit of Sue's post should surely be relevant -

"ii they have been awarded full or provisional registration by a New Zealand organisation authorised by law to give occupational registration, and registration involves an assessment that their overseas qualification(s) is comparable with a New Zealand qualification that is included on the List of Recognised Qualifications."
Sadly for plumbers, they cannot get any form of registration unless they are already in NZ. The registration for a plumber is a week long assessment and exams which can only be done in Wellington at a cost of several thousand dollars.
So , for a plumber the only thing they can show NZIS is a pre-assessment letter from the plumbing board. Quite often this doesn't seem to hit the mark totally , so plumbers mostly end up with a work to residence. However, if they get an NZ job offer and a plumbing limited license they stand a chance of getting PR straight off which I find bizarre as the limited licene has nothing to do with qualifications , work experience or standards. It's alicense that even a labourer can get.
I feel that most immigration officers really don't understand how the Nz plumbing board work or the difference between registration process and licenses. Carpenters don't have registration hoops, electricians can have their provisional registration accepted for PR, so in that respect plumbers are discriminated against.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.