Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand or canada

New Zealand or canada

Old Jul 17th 2015, 10:42 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand or canada

Originally Posted by Davmac04
Hi there,
thanks for the replys!

yes I'm eligible for New Zealand and have over 140 points, basically we can get into both and have today been offered a position in Australia!

I'm a 'fundraising manager' with a charity and my partner is a 'Printer' in a mass production factory.

I have 2 children so wouldn't want long commutes...I just really want to know where would have the best life-work balance and is best for my children
Hey there,

Yeah you are probably correct these are 'push' reasons however my husband and i have always wanted to move abroad, it has always been our plan! We are now in a good position to do the move, originally it has been Canada, due to me being a Canadian citizen but my dad has been in New Zealand for 12 years first Auckland and now Eastbourne Wellington, he loves it and thinks it's amazing for children to grow up in and have an outdoor life.

My husband flew for 2 weeks and loved it, visited the school etc

Australia we have 6 friends there who think it's amazing and that my kids would love it , my kids love outdoors-swimming etc and they just don't get the weather here! So far the summer has been a wash out.
Go with whats easiest & if you have friends and/or family, then go with your gut feel as well as where you partner will find work

If it doesn't work after at least a three year go, you can move on

As a Canadian, Canada will always be available too you
Old Jul 17th 2015, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

Yup, you can get those things in the UK/Ireland. That said, I think the pace in NZ is generally slightly slower which if what is what you are into then it's great. We had a good 3 or 4 months swimming in the sea this year which was awesome and the amount of beaches, regional parks etc is just incredible. Bloody expensive here though so the maths really need to stack up for you. We're worse off financially but so far we love it here so it's been a no-brainer. But in many respects we've been lucky in terms of falling into jobs we enjoy, found good daycares and knew folk out here before we came. It's a big decision.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I think we are going towards New Zealand, my husband has a job offer in Auckland and before that we had 140 points, I'm pretty sure the weather cannot be as bad as here in the winter....my dad lives in NZ and has done for nearly 12 years n thinks it's amazing especially if children...

I think you need to take a long hard look at what you do and don't want: you've told us all the bad things about Glasgow that make you want to leave, have taken on board all the gushing and glowing reports about wide open space, freedom and outdoors life available in NZ and then you immediately compromise all those hopes and wishes by looking at Auckland.

Auckland is by no means the panacea or remedy to the ills that pervade city life in the UK. There's good and bad in both; if you can afford to live in the higher decile areas of either you can avoid a lot of the problems.

As noted in the article below Auckland struggles to accommodate the population it has; is growing by the day due to immigration and suffers hugely from under investment in any infrastructure / transport or roading to meet these ever increasing demands.

Duncan Garner: One people, two NZs: The good life south of the Bombay Hills | Stuff.co.nz

If you read the comments in that article you might also get the sense that there's ever such a weeny tinge of hatred from the rest of the country regarding anything Aucklandy.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there,

We are from the south side, generally seen as a nicer area...it's not unsafe that you can't go out at night or anything not at all and I would never not recommend anyone to come visit but for living and bringing up my children it's not for us.
There has been a major study released about the 'Glasgow effect' I'm sure if you google it, my mums involved in it and Glasgow has been ranked the worst area to live and in the next ten years will be the second highest level of obesity in the world, has the highest level of MS in Europe due to low levels of sunlight exposure, was voted the UKs most violent city... The list can go on. we have wanted to move abroad for over 4 years and are now in e position to do it so living in GLasgow is not an option for us, all these negatives are for people living in Glagow bringing up there children and I would always tell people it's a wonderful friendly city to visit....but I personally do not want my children to grow up here.

I think we are going towards New Zealand, my husband has a job offer in Auckland and before that we had 140 points, I'm pretty sure the weather cannot be as bad as here in the winter....my dad lives in NZ and has done for nearly 12 years n thinks it's amazing especially if children...

Yeah I think we will do the lists etc that a good idea....

Thank you very much for your post
Hmm. Okay, regarding the obesity, you are the ones that feed your kids, you decide what your children eat. You can offer them packed lunches with healthy options for school. You can educate your children about obesity. That isnt Glasgow's fault.

You say you are looking for beaches/weather etc. We moved to Vancouver Island in BC, Canada. Beautiful, tranquil, my kids are on the beach every day after school and all summer long. We have had summer beach weather since May and had very little snow. On paper its perfect. I would say this place couldnt be any safer for kids. BUT if you chat to police officers here, you will hear 12 and 13 year olds are addicted to meth. Some kids have been caught with drugs in school lockers. Bullying exists. Families range here just like in Glasgow. To be honest you are looking for perfection and it doesnt exist. As long as you are good parents and look for the best for your kids no matter where in the world you are you will be fine. Getting a decent paying job to be able to afford the neighbourhood you are looking for is more important than the beach life you talk about.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but everyone looks for the best work/life balance but in reality it doesnt exist. Not in one form anyway. I have a friend here who is a well paid professional working 3 days a week. She has to put her kids in after school care to be able to have 2 school days off with them. Is that perfect? For me no. For her yes. Another friend barely sees her husband as he works all the hours under the sun so she can stay home with the kids. Good for them. For me no. My husband works away for 4 weeks and home for 1.....I am home with our kids. This is how we survive in paradise. Perfect? No. Actually we are looking to move nearer a bigger city and give up the beach life for FAMILY life. That is perfect for us. I am sure not for you. No one on here can tell you the perfect work/life balance I am afraid. But take it all in.. Maybe being close to your Dad is better for your kids. Maybe that is a better life for them? Maybe you have answered your own question?
Old Jul 19th 2015, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Davmac04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by not2old
Go with whats easiest & if you have friends and/or family, then go with your gut feel as well as where you partner will find work

If it doesn't work after at least a three year go, you can move on

As a Canadian, Canada will always be available too you
Thank you for this and your completely right....this is what we have felt for the past few years we just though we would ask on here to see folks opinions...
Your right Canada will always be there ☺️
Old Jul 19th 2015, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by desmondo84
Yup, you can get those things in the UK/Ireland. That said, I think the pace in NZ is generally slightly slower which if what is what you are into then it's great. We had a good 3 or 4 months swimming in the sea this year which was awesome and the amount of beaches, regional parks etc is just incredible. Bloody expensive here though so the maths really need to stack up for you. We're worse off financially but so far we love it here so it's been a no-brainer. But in many respects we've been lucky in terms of falling into jobs we enjoy, found good daycares and knew folk out here before we came. It's a big decision.
Thank you, yes my dad said the cost of living is dearer bit it worth it so echoes what your saying....I'm glad your enjoying it
Old Jul 19th 2015, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I think you need to take a long hard look at what you do and don't want: you've told us all the bad things about Glasgow that make you want to leave, have taken on board all the gushing and glowing reports about wide open space, freedom and outdoors life available in NZ and then you immediately compromise all those hopes and wishes by looking at Auckland.

Auckland is by no means the panacea or remedy to the ills that pervade city life in the UK. There's good and bad in both; if you can afford to live in the higher decile areas of either you can avoid a lot of the problems.

As noted in the article below Auckland struggles to accommodate the population it has; is growing by the day due to immigration and suffers hugely from under investment in any infrastructure / transport or roading to meet these ever increasing demands.

Duncan Garner: One people, two NZs: The good life south of the Bombay Hills | Stuff.co.nz

If you read the comments in that article you might also get the sense that there's ever such a weeny tinge of hatred from the rest of the country regarding anything Aucklandy.

Hi there,

Thanks for replying!

It's not def Auckland, the job my husband has been offered allows him to be based in either Auckland or Wellington so that's the next decision....
Old Jul 21st 2015, 10:24 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for this and your completely right....this is what we have felt for the past few years we just though we would ask on here to see folks opinions...
Your right Canada will always be there ☺️
we've lived in Wellington way back when (I'm sure not much has changed) & for comparison found it great, great for the lifestyle, our son although small integrated well & even the wind [because we like wind]was never an issue. We lived in Kingston Wellington (all Canadian named streets) at the very top of 'The Ridgeway'. In the back yard we had a umbrella clthsline that spun so fast you'd have thought it was a helicopter blade sinning

Wellington winters are wet & damp, no different than Scotland, the summers not too hot other than we found the UV rays bit much

Wellington is expensive cost wise relatively speaking compared to other places

The comparison we used & our friends that live there do it, that Wellington is cost wise similar to a mid UK city

That Australia mid city is comparable to mid city Canada (excluding Vancouver)

Its NZ, and takes a few years to get used to it.

NZ is a distance away from the UK or North America, which is just a plane ride away. No different than a Kiwi living in the UK or North America going back home to visit the relatives or to take a holiday.