Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand or canada

New Zealand or canada

Old Jul 15th 2015, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Davmac04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Zealand or canada

Hi, my husband and I are looking into moving from Scotland to either Canada or New Zealand and wanting to gauge the best place to go. I have Canadian citizenship but I also have close family in New Zealand....we want the best work/life balance as we have 2 kids, weather, safety and job prospects....any advice would be appreciated. Natalie.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand or canada

Originally Posted by Davmac04
Hi, my husband and I are looking into moving from Scotland to either Canada or New Zealand and wanting to gauge the best place to go. I have Canadian citizenship but I also have close family in New Zealand....we want the best work/life balance as we have 2 kids, weather, safety and job prospects....any advice would be appreciated. Natalie.
I think we all want that, so where you can find all of this will be a very expensive place (especially housing). I think people will have to know what kind of work you are looking for first and are you willing to commute, or happy to live in the city etc.?
Old Jul 15th 2015, 3:20 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

agree with post#2...that first

then are you eligible to get into NZ?

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...k/workperm.htm

after that, is it the place too be as far, would it meet your lifestyle choices, cost of living etc.

Have you been to NZ?
Old Jul 15th 2015, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Hi there,
thanks for the replys!
yes I'm eligible for New Zealand and have over 140 points, basically we can get into both and have today been offered a position in Australia!
I'm a 'fundraising manager' with a charity and my partner is a 'Printer' in a mass production factory.

I have 2 children so wouldn't want long commutes...I just really want to know where would have the best life-work balance and is best for my children
Old Jul 15th 2015, 9:22 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

all three places are mighty different, depends on what you are after.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

I'm after a good work life balance right now I work constantly (today from 8am-9pm) so would prefer to be home more...more family time
Good education, life for my kids....safe for them to be out playing...safe place to live
That's it really...
Old Jul 16th 2015, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm after a good work life balance right now I work constantly (today from 8am-9pm) so would prefer to be home more...more family time
Good education, life for my kids....safe for them to be out playing...safe place to live
That's it really...
I think all 3 countries can offer those things but it depends on the circumstances. For example, there are jobs in NZ where you might be expected to work those long hours. Other jobs stipulate 9 to 5 and you are forbidden to take work home with you. Also there are places to live where you might feel safer than others. I think overall, NZ is a relatively safe country, but so is Australia and Canada, and so is the UK for that matter.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 1:57 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

They're all first world countries, with the same first world problems. You don't need to emigrate for a better work-life balance; you could achieve that with a change of job in the UK. I'm in Sydney, Aus, and my husband and his colleagues work long hours. Just like all of our friends. The cost of living is expensive. And the weather today is bloody awful! We're very happy here, so I'd not try and put anyone off living here. But it doesn't sound like you're looking for 'pull' reasons to move to a place (moving somewhere because you love the place), but are moving for 'push' reasons (what's bad about the UK). FWIW, if I were you, I'd re-evaluate that. It might help your decision-making.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 3:37 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
thanks for the replys!
yes I'm eligible for New Zealand and have over 140 points, basically we can get into both and have today been offered a position in Australia!
I'm a 'fundraising manager' with a charity and my partner is a 'Printer' in a mass production factory.

I have 2 children so wouldn't want long commutes...I just really want to know where would have the best life-work balance and is best for my children
Where in Australia is the job offer?
Old Jul 16th 2015, 6:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by garethwm
I think all 3 countries can offer those things but it depends on the circumstances. For example, there are jobs in NZ where you might be expected to work those long hours. Other jobs stipulate 9 to 5 and you are forbidden to take work home with you. Also there are places to live where you might feel safer than others. I think overall, NZ is a relatively safe country, but so is Australia and Canada, and so is the UK for that matter.

Hi there,

Glasgow I'm afraid is not that safe...thanks though
Old Jul 16th 2015, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Geordie George
They're all first world countries, with the same first world problems. You don't need to emigrate for a better work-life balance; you could achieve that with a change of job in the UK. I'm in Sydney, Aus, and my husband and his colleagues work long hours. Just like all of our friends. The cost of living is expensive. And the weather today is bloody awful! We're very happy here, so I'd not try and put anyone off living here. But it doesn't sound like you're looking for 'pull' reasons to move to a place (moving somewhere because you love the place), but are moving for 'push' reasons (what's bad about the UK). FWIW, if I were you, I'd re-evaluate that. It might help your decision-making.
Hey there,

Yeah you are probably correct these are 'push' reasons however my husband and i have always wanted to move abroad, it has always been our plan! We are now in a good position to do the move, origiginally it has been Canada, due to me being a Canadian citizen but my dad has been in New Zealand for 12 years first Auckland and now Eastbourne Wellington, he loves it and thinks it's amazing for children to grow up in and have an outdoor life. My husband flew for 2 weeks and loved it, visited the school etc
Australia we have 6 friends there who think it's amazing and that my kids would love it , my kids love outdoors-swimming etc and they just don't get the weather here! So far the summer has been a wash out.

Have you been to any of these places? What do you think?

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 16th 2015 at 6:37 am. Reason: remove text speak.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 6:13 am
Just Joined

Where in Australia is the job offer?[/QUOTE]

In Perth
Old Jul 16th 2015, 6:19 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there,

Yeah ur probably correct these are 'push' reasons however my husband and i have always wanted to move abroad, it has always been our plan! We are now in a good position to do the move, origiginally it has been Canada, due to me being a Canadian citizen but my dad has been in New Zealand for 12 years first Auckland and now Eastbourne Wellington, he loves it and thinks it's amazing for children to grow up in and have an outdoor life. My husband flew for 2 weeks and loved it, visited the school etc
Australia we have 6 friends there who think it's amazing and that my kids would love it , my kids love outdoors-swimming etc and they just don't get the weather here! So far the summer has been a wash out.

Have u been to any of these places? What do u think?
I've not been to Canada; far too cold for me! NZ, I've only visited on holiday. It's the only place I've ever left early due to boredom; you couldn't pay me to live there. But, horses for courses. What I think is completely irrelevant.

(With massive apologies to the NZ forum people!)
Old Jul 16th 2015, 6:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I've not been to Canada; far too cold for me! NZ, I've only visited on holiday. It's the only place I've ever left early due to boredom; you couldn't pay me to live there. But, horses for courses. What I think is completely irrelevant.

(With massive apologies to the NZ forum people!)
Great...thanks for the help
Old Jul 16th 2015, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

That's it really...
As mentioned by others you can get that anywhere and even people in Canada or New Zealand face the same problems with working hours, commute etc. I'm in Ireland and think New Zealand is a great country, but in my opinion I can have the same outdoor living here. I have nature on the doorstep, good working hours (can finish around 3-4pm), cheap housing, it's safe and am very close to the rest of Europe. This summer hasn't been great so far, but it doesn't stop happy people from doing things and thanks to the mild climate the activity season is very long. I went to the beach on Sunday and plenty of kids swimming and having fun. If I need constant heat and sun, I can just get the ferry and drive down to Spain, or fly for €50 to Barcelona. It can be great anywhere, but if you end up in a city in New Zealand, Canada, UK with the same working hours, it might be equally crap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.