Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is New Zealand a 3rd World Country

Is New Zealand a 3rd World Country

Old May 7th 2010, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is New Zealand a 3rd World Country

Originally Posted by pestman
get away from all the bling merchants and knob head ,hoodie wearing,lack of respect,tosser teenagers and adults we had to head that far.House prices in the uk were far to rich for a family of six so cumbria it was.
Now I know you are describing NZ.
Old May 7th 2010, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pestman
For me the 24 hours on that plane have in fact transported me back in time 25years and given my four kids a chance at a 'normal' life where what they drive or how they look isnt top of the list of life priorities.

cheers for the wisdom though
125 years back more like.

And what they drive IS very important - it has to be a Subaru WRX, preferably a white one with a hand painted black bonner, sideways inclined number plate and and an 'exhaust' that makes more noise than a juggernaut.

As for how they look not being important, I agree with that one as washing, ironing or brushing hair doesnt seem too of the agenda judging by many of those around me.
Old May 7th 2010, 8:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just me or is this thread the biggest load of nonsense . How can anyone compare NZ with a third world country. I mean really people, do get a grip. We are talking absolute poverty here, no running water, hunger & subsequent malnutrition, no healthcare, education etc.
Old May 7th 2010, 9:21 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Is it just me or is this thread the biggest load of nonsense . How can anyone compare NZ with a third world country. I mean really people, do get a grip. We are talking absolute poverty here, no running water, hunger & subsequent malnutrition, no healthcare, education etc.
Absolutely!!
Old May 7th 2010, 9:25 am

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=Browner_

As for how they look not being important, I agree with that one as washing, ironing or brushing hair doesnt seem too of the agenda judging by many of those around me.[/QUOTE]

Thats the problem living in a house full of mirrors
Old May 10th 2010, 3:33 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
What out of the things you have mentioned don't happen in NZ?

Relatively speaking it actually is, even John Campbell agreed last week on his show, you would only see that if you get a TV reception although you could watch it on Broadband, if you are not the port waiting list for upto 5years.

Come on look around and see what else is going on outside your silo
Old May 10th 2010, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theduke
What out of the things you have mentioned don't happen in NZ?
All of those things may happen in a small scale in NZ or in any other developed country (USA, UK, any EU country), but as far as I know the vast majority of people in NZ have access to basic education, enough food and basic healthcare at a reasonable cost. The vast majority of people have enough to eat, don't suffer/die from easily preventable diseases, the infant mortality rate is low. Yes, some people are exceptions to that, but in those cases lack of anything mentioned above is likely to be a symptom of some kind of a problem in their social environment (drugs, alcoholism) rather than how things are for the majority of people. As far as I know, there are also government services and organisations who are trying to battle the social problems and there are tax-funded benifit systems to help the underpriviledged. Again that is something that doesn't exist in a third world country, where you just simply die if you don't have enough food or get seriously ill.
Old May 10th 2010, 10:19 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bro69
The grass definitely isn't greener in Australia, they don't have much and it's full of spiders and snakes.

Give me clean green NZ any day of the week!
l live in OZ if its full of snakes and spiders why don't l see any, how many people do they actually kill a year in OZ? Snakes kill 2 people a year and no one had died from a spider bite in 30 years. Your probably more likely to be killed in a sheep stampede in New Zealand then by a snake or spider in OZ.

Last edited by mohogony; May 10th 2010 at 10:23 am.
Old May 10th 2010, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mgee
All of those things may happen in a small scale in NZ or in any other developed country (USA, UK, any EU country), but as far as I know the vast majority of people in NZ have access to basic education, enough food and basic healthcare at a reasonable cost. The vast majority of people have enough to eat, don't suffer/die from easily preventable diseases, the infant mortality rate is low. Yes, some people are exceptions to that, but in those cases lack of anything mentioned above is likely to be a symptom of some kind of a problem in their social environment (drugs, alcoholism) rather than how things are for the majority of people. As far as I know, there are also government services and organisations who are trying to battle the social problems and there are tax-funded benifit systems to help the underpriviledged. Again that is something that doesn't exist in a third world country, where you just simply die if you don't have enough food or get seriously ill.
I agree. All this tosh about NZ being 3rd world...utter and total BOLLOCKS. We all know what 3rd world is and those of us who have resided in NZ long enough and have half an ounce of sense know it is not 3rd world. Only an idiot would think that. Yes it is backwards in many ways, isolated and insular. It has many, many other negative things and has many shitty negative stats. BUT it is not 3rd world.

NZ is a tad weird and a bit of a non conformist country. It has lots of bad stuff going on but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more good stuff that makes living here (for those of us who like it) really good. NZ is a cool place...especially to bring up little people. For all its warts I love it and would not wish to be anywhere else right now. How ever I expect my kids to leave when they are adults and seek a life beyond these shores..simply because they can and they should. As i said its insular.

Last edited by Genesis; May 10th 2010 at 10:28 am.
Old May 10th 2010, 10:52 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Genesis
NZ is a tad weird and a bit of a non conformist country.
Precisely why I love it so much.
Old May 10th 2010, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light

3rd world country? I was just thinking that as I wandered down Lambton Quay the other day past a begging leper on my way back to the favela
Old May 10th 2010, 11:03 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I agree. All this tosh about NZ being 3rd world...utter and total BOLLOCKS. We all know what 3rd world is and those of us who have resided in NZ long enough and have half an ounce of sense know it is not 3rd world. Only an idiot would think that. Yes it is backwards in many ways, isolated and insular. It has many, many other negative things and has many shitty negative stats. BUT it is not 3rd world.

NZ is a tad weird and a bit of a non conformist country. It has lots of bad stuff going on but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more good stuff that makes living here (for those of us who like it) really good. NZ is a cool place...especially to bring up little people. For all its warts I love it and would not wish to be anywhere else right now. How ever I expect my kids to leave when they are adults and seek a life beyond these shores..simply because they can and they should. As i said its insular.
well said

Dewb
Old May 10th 2010, 11:07 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mgee
Exactly, when you truly think what 3rd world means to some. How lovely to be able bandy round the word and then retire to your lovely warm bed for the night with food in your stomach.

Dewb
Old May 10th 2010, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Precisely why I love it so much.
Sounds like I am arriving in my kind of place
Old May 10th 2010, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Shazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Another vote for Wellington and the good life here!
VERY glad to hear it to im heading out in December and reading this thread was very disheartening. Luckily im heading to Wellington which ive heard it superb! xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.