Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Plymouth = the dogs proverbials!!

New Plymouth = the dogs proverbials!!

Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

jimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant future
Question Re: New Plymouth = the dogs proverbials!!

just a quickie whilst all you in sunny nz shoot the breeze.

should we actually bother to come? cos it appears at times that some of the partcicpants in these forums actually spend more time abusing nz than bigging it up.

i already understand the kiwi mistrust of people coming but i thought, naively maybe, that expats mite actually encourage more.

sorry wasnt a dig at anyone but a general observation cos we all need to have the mickey taken out of us.

hope to see some of you great people soon

jim and ally
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:24 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Plymouth = the dogs proverbials!!

Originally Posted by sr71
Are you sure it's the NZ one and not New Plymouth, Idaho?
what we are talking about or the dog's danglies?
Here is the North & South cover.......
and the NZ Herald article:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10542372

The Taranaki city has been awarded first place and a gold award for cities of population up to 75,000 in the International Awards for Liveable Communities (LivCom), held at the weekend in Dongguan, China.
Attached Thumbnails New Plymouth = the dogs proverbials!!-northsouthnz231008153947.jpg  
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:25 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Having said that my mate Charlie from the UK had a "spell" in Idaho and some parts of NZ are probably on a par..........
Old Nov 13th 2008, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimanddebs

should we actually bother to come?
jim and ally

Please do otherwise there'll only be us left. People are leaving at an alarming rate. Still never mind. My 1st wife ran off with a toy boy but another even MORE wonderful person was very happy to 'adopt' me. So one man's meat is another's poison as they say. NZ will not suit everyone and other will seek better else where.

NZ is very kind to some people. Maybe we (those it favours) have a more friendly and flexible approach, don't hate the welsh, the indigenous folk or anyone else for that matter. We are not bitter or twisted. Neither do we joke about the murder of fellow posters family. We accept NZ is way less than perfect and there's stuff we'd change but are accepting of our lot and our choice to be here. One sometimes wonders do they NOT have the choice to leave....last time I looked it was easier to leave than enter.

I think NZ works for those of us who are more chilled. One guy who does not like it here much appeared to be more upset than me about ME losing my life savings in the finance house melt down. Ever so kind of him but he need not concern himself. Came over all indignant that I should still be happy in NZ after having had $140k frozen by 'crooks' was the word I think he used.

They might be lots of things but they are not crooks..not the people who had my wedge.

Anyway see you soon. We are the clappers from Palmy..can't miss us big smile and an even bigger begging bowl.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Please do otherwise there'll only be us left. People are leaving at an alarming rate.

I think NZ works for those of us who are more chilled.
I have to add that I think that the reason people are leaving, and I'm referring to the large exodus of Kiwis, is largely down to the 'perception' that Australia (and other countries) are more rewarding. Australia is better in many respects but I think it has an equal number of downsides. (Stamp Duty for one, no sense of humour another - worse than Kiwis)

The major reasons most people leave are financial or they want to explore greater things in their careers, travels, experiences etc. Many Kiwis do intend to return home one-day, additionally many I know in London would return home right now if they hadn't gotten involved in relationships, bought houses, or had kids in schools etc.

Also I maintain steadfastly that some of the people who do not get along with NZ are the sorts of people you couldn't take anywhere without them finding fault - highly strung if you will, or those that haven't done their research properly.

Many of NZ's faults are certainly not unique to NZ. it's not a place to come if you are running away from the UK, planning to get rich, enjoy the high-paced lifestyle of a corporate executive or expect everything to be like the UK. But if you accept that, are flexible and pragmatic then i think it offers an excellent lifestyle.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
I have to add that I think that the reason people are leaving, and I'm referring to the large exodus of Kiwis, is largely down to the 'perception' that Australia (and other countries) are more rewarding. Australia is better in many respects but I think it has an equal number of downsides. (Stamp Duty for one, no sense of humour another - worse than Kiwis)

The major reasons most people leave are financial or they want to explore greater things in their careers, travels, experiences etc. Many Kiwis do intend to return home one-day, additionally many I know in London would return home right now if they hadn't gotten involved in relationships, bought houses, or had kids in schools etc.

Also I maintain steadfastly that some of the people who do not get along with NZ are the sorts of people you couldn't take anywhere without them finding fault - highly strung if you will, or those that haven't done their research properly.

Many of NZ's faults are certainly not unique to NZ. it's not a place to come if you are running away from the UK, planning to get rich, enjoy the high-paced lifestyle of a corporate executive or expect everything to be like the UK. But if you accept that, are flexible and pragmatic then i think it offers an excellent lifestyle.

Well said..nothing wrong with trying other places aye. NZ is NOT the be all and end all. Its just a little backward place some like some hate to live in.

Totally agree with the highly strung bit (accept there will be exceptions) but the bitter ranters who have come and gone and come back again all do seem a tad .... well on the edge...you can feelit in their postings aye??

NZ is a great place to chill what? Works for me. Which is nice.

Conversely can see why people loathe the place and seek greener pastures.