Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Plymouth = the dogs proverbials!!

New Plymouth = the dogs proverbials!!

Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:17 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Plymouth = the dogs proverbials!!

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
it's not paranoid if they really are following you
but *you* are stalking *them* aren't you.........?
do they have Mossad-trained agents in the NZ Tourist Board?
or will you have to kill us all once you reveal such information?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:21 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I can neither confirm nor deny that the name rank and serial number of the enigma machines rain falls mainly on the plain.

Back to my lurking now...

Last edited by Kiwiprincess; Nov 12th 2008 at 12:22 am. Reason: ain't going unless it's a boeing
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:26 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
I can neither confirm nor deny that the name rank and serial number of the enigma machines rain falls mainly on the plain.

Back to my lurking now...

I might get back on topic in the end.......

But I know just how much that annoys the hell out of some of our fellow posters.......
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:30 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

oops yeah, sorry for the threadjack!

New Plymouth...um yeah.. it's grouse as the Melbournians say.

Actually it is seriously quite cool - it is a pity it seems quite cut off from Wellington cos I like the place. Quite a cool art gallery. And kick*ss ice creams. And personally, I think the view of Mt Taranaki from even the not-so-nice parts is something pretty special.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 1:52 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by southerner
I've never been to New Plymouth, but would like to - it always seems like it is out on its own, not on the way to anywhere.

Or is it just subconsciously that I would have to drive through Wanganui to get there??
Funny very funny its not that bad here....blimey! but we are certainly not planning to stay here forever ..

And New Plymouth is nice...

on the positive side Wanganui is central for most things...

but I would like to live in Napier myself...you never know in the future or maybe Australia or America..even...
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

It's been about 20 years since I was in NP, but it seemed like a nice little town with everything you need. Lots of dairying and a fun historical museum, but not a lot of other attractions that I remember. On a clear day Mt Taranaki is beautiful - an almost perfectly conical mountain often covered with snow looming above the city. On a cloudy day it disappears and you'd never know it was there.

I seem to remember it was only a very short drive to the skifield. It's not quite up there with Cardrona or Roundhill, but it has a good learner's slope for the kids and the next slope up is challenging without being too much of a jump. Never made it to the higher slopes as I hadn't been skiing for a while. Having said that it might have changed a bit since I was there. It will be cheaper though, and if I lived there I'd go to the ski sales and fit the family out their own gear and buy a season ticket.

It is stuck out on its own. From memory it's about 3 hours to Wanganui and it must be about 5 or 6 to Wellington and maybe the same to Auckland, or possibly more. But I guess when you live in a place you become self-sufficient and make explorations during the holidays.

Napier's warmer but it didn't really appeal to me when we visited last year.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 4:02 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

I've never been to New Plymouth, but would like to - it always seems like it is out on its own, not on the way to anywhere.

Or is it just subconsciously that I would have to drive through Wanganui to get there??
Wanganui is a really nice little city.. have you ever actually been there?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by NakiMan
Wanganui used to have a bad reputation...And people cant seem to forget it...

but who cares I think its ok for now
Old Nov 12th 2008, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NakiMan
Its probably got the same 'bad' reputation Palmy has. Some of us actually DO carve out REALLY good lives in these backwaters..atleast Wangers has the sea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Master Laws as President..hooooooooooooooooooooooooow bad's that???? I wish he was president of NZ!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 12th 2008, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

I went to NP three times in summer 2006 and never saw Mt Egmount/Taranaki as it was covered in cloud. However it did look pretty impressive when it finally did appear. Who on earth sanctioned the ugly power station next to Paritutu??????
Attached Thumbnails New Plymouth = the dogs proverbials!!-g397_36.jpg   New Plymouth = the dogs proverbials!!-g397_146.jpg   New Plymouth = the dogs proverbials!!-g397_187.jpg  
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the compilers of these surveys understand the concept of remoteness and how trapped it can make you feel if you are in an NZ town which is the equivalent of a small UK town.

Wellington is also remote but has enough shops/cafes/culture/restaurants for it to be bearable so long as you can escape every 6 months.

I have been to NP & Palmerston North and of the two would rather live in Palmie.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I don't think the compilers of these surveys understand the concept of remoteness and how trapped it can make you feel if you are in an NZ town which is the equivalent of a small UK town.

Wellington is also remote but has enough shops/cafes/culture/restaurants for it to be bearable so long as you can escape every 6 months.

I have been to NP & Palmerston North and of the two would rather live in Palmie.
Good for you then ...funny that as people in Wanganui would not want to live in palmy
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
Good for you then ...funny that as people in Wanganui would not want to live in palmy
Palmie's got much better shops and an interesting large square.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:41 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Palmie's got much better shops and an interesting large square.
Probably having so many students in the place gives it a bit more clout and makes life more interesting - all the "town and gown" issues aside, I used to like livining in a University City even when the "pond life" were there.....
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure it's the NZ one and not New Plymouth, Idaho?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.