Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New NZ Corrections transferee's

New NZ Corrections transferee's

Old Nov 21st 2016, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New NZ Corrections transferee's

I used to travel from Cambridge to SHCF when I was posted there
The commute took me an hour and 5 minutes. I think the top end of Hamilton is around a 30 min commute.
I've been trying to think of some semi rural places along the way that would be nice. I know folk who lived
in Te Kauwhata and couldnt get out quick enough. Rangariri is a truck stop pub and little else. Huntly isnt a
place I would live but I know a few who do and seem to like to like it, although you are likely to run into
some of our "customers" who live around there.
Taupiri is now a motorway junction, Ngaruawahia ( pronounced like narrower here) just NO. Gordonton is ok
but is very rural, possibly too much so. The top end of Hamilton around Rotouna is OK, Its a fairly
new-ish area with many houses 10 years or younger, good schools and amenities. Its becoming more popular
with auckland commuters so prices are on the up. Most places in NZ, even the citys are only 10 minutes from
farms and pastures. use time in a rental to explore and find out where you want to be
Old Nov 21st 2016, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

AmyKC13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Congratulations to everyone who has been successful so far in the process!!

I was interested in applying myself however cannot leave the uk for a couple of years.

I've been looking at the NZ corrections website to get an idea on the different roles available and can see that upon applying a fitness test is required for frontline roles.

Can anybody provide anymore detail about what this actually entails?

It just states on the website that a person of average fitness should be able to pass??

Thank you
Old Nov 21st 2016, 11:57 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Justcol
I used to travel from Cambridge to SHCF when I was posted there
The commute took me an hour and 5 minutes. I think the top end of Hamilton is around a 30 min commute.
I've been trying to think of some semi rural places along the way that would be nice. I know folk who lived
in Te Kauwhata and couldnt get out quick enough. Rangariri is a truck stop pub and little else. Huntly isnt a
place I would live but I know a few who do and seem to like to like it, although you are likely to run into
some of our "customers" who live around there.
Taupiri is now a motorway junction, Ngaruawahia ( pronounced like narrower here) just NO. Gordonton is ok
but is very rural, possibly too much so. The top end of Hamilton around Rotouna is OK, Its a fairly
new-ish area with many houses 10 years or younger, good schools and amenities. Its becoming more popular
with auckland commuters so prices are on the up. Most places in NZ, even the citys are only 10 minutes from
farms and pastures. use time in a rental to explore and find out where you want to be
Thanks Col. good post.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyKC13
Hi
I've been looking at the NZ corrections website to get an idea on the different roles available and can see that upon applying a fitness test is required for frontline roles.

Can anybody provide anymore detail about what this actually entails?

It just states on the website that a person of average fitness should be able to pass??

Thank you
I did it a few years ago and it may have changed a little but we have to cover a distance under a set time.
I cant remember the distance or the time but it was much more than a brisk 5 minute walk. there was an
obstacle course, which took around a minute again at not much more than a light jog pace. The obstacles
were over a small jump (18 inches or so) under a bar (bit of a crawl) and a distance jump ( about 3 or four foot)
there was a grip test (easy as) and a dead lift (drag a 50 kg dummy across a room).
Its not difficult but may have changed a little, but not much
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

delboy08 is an unknown quantity at this point

does anybody know of anybody who has transferred over or who works as an instructional officer in nz. I am aware the nz corrections have these. I have been looking into the jobs and they seem very similar to my current job as a instructor here. Any info would be a help.

Thanks
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 4:53 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
I did it a few years ago and it may have changed a little but we have to cover a distance under a set time.
I cant remember the distance or the time but it was much more than a brisk 5 minute walk. there was an
obstacle course, which took around a minute again at not much more than a light jog pace. The obstacles
were over a small jump (18 inches or so) under a bar (bit of a crawl) and a distance jump ( about 3 or four foot)
there was a grip test (easy as) and a dead lift (drag a 50 kg dummy across a room).
Its not difficult but may have changed a little, but not much
a friend of mine also had to unlock padlocks within a set amount of time.
he only lasted less than a year in the job and is now working at InterIslander.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
a friend of mine also had to unlock padlocks within a set amount of time.
he only lasted less than a year in the job and is now working at InterIslander.
Was he dangling by his ankles from a burning rope like David Blane ??

I know a cook on one of the ships
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 5:26 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

it would had have to of been a chain link one as lad is quite hefty

He works dockside so doubt he mingles with the InterIslander staff, just moves stuff around and loads I think.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

jinjan22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was also successful at the Edinburgh assessment day and start in Mount Eden on 13th Feb. I was told at the interview stage that three weeks accommodation and three weeks car hire were available also as well as reimbursement for medical costs and visa cost.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Shirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to all

I start on May 22nd. Not been told what prison but I think its Mount Eden.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Howie181 is an unknown quantity at this point

Justcol...thanks for your advice...taken onboard...
Visa - we have had very different advice on which Visa to apply for...we have our Panel Medical 2/12/16 and need to know which Visa to apply for, any advice anybody?
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jinjan22
I was also successful at the Edinburgh assessment day and start in Mount Eden on 13th Feb. I was told at the interview stage that three weeks accommodation and three weeks car hire were available also as well as reimbursement for medical costs and visa cost.
Evening Jinjan22...well done a month before us...exciting times...which Visa are you/have you applied for? we've had very mixed advice from NZ Immigration and Corrections Dept themselves...

Regards
Howie181
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Willo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really nice

I'd probably guess at the working to residency visa, not sure what my wife would need though as the children will be too young to go to school so not sure if she'd need the partner, visitor, or working..... I've not started the process yet though as still waiting for official contract offer
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Willo1892
I'd probably guess at the working to residency visa, not sure what my wife would need though as the children will be too young to go to school so not sure if she'd need the partner, visitor, or working..... I've not started the process yet though as still waiting for official contract offer
Hi Willo1892, looked at that Visa but it states salary of $55000...my contract states $51000...so complicated...Corrections Dept stated Essential Work Visa but we're unsure we can apply for the Working to Residency once that runs out...
Thanks
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Willo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really nice

Well that is massively confusing then as once you've got that qualification which can be obtained in less than 12 months you go onto 56k. You'd hope/expect between the DoC and immigration, they'd have something put in place for us. At the end of the day we are moving to the other side of the world to assist with their short fall of employees/experienced officers. It should be made pretty stress free with not much effort for us to get over not jump through hoops and fall under the "this is far too complicated and stressful I'm sacking it off category."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.