new house build

Old Dec 30th 2010, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

rads is just really nicerads is just really nicerads is just really nicerads is just really nicerads is just really nicerads is just really nicerads is just really nicerads is just really nice
Default new house build

Hi everyone.
could anybody tell me if they are building there own house if so could you answer a few questions 1 what sort of price is it to build not including land now i know you will all be building luxury homes im just after standered homes.
2. are there companies that do the hole job or not
plus anything else you can think off

around tauranga area if you are wondering

many thanks
Old Dec 30th 2010, 6:23 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new house build

Originally Posted by rads
Hi everyone.
could anybody tell me if they are building there own house if so could you answer a few questions 1 what sort of price is it to build not including land now i know you will all be building luxury homes im just after standered homes.

many thanks
A few housebuild threads in the past....try using 'search' facility, you should get some results
Old Dec 30th 2010, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

most builders have prices next to the homes they build on their websites.
add to that the cost of the section you want and you've got a good idea.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 8:19 pm

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by colandros
most builders have prices next to the homes they build on their websites.
add to that the cost of the section you want and you've got a good idea.
If you want to use an architect/independant building company I would advise that you budget for more than it is expected to cost. I won't scare you with just how much our budget blow out was, thanks to an unscrupulous local company - suffice to say that what was supposed to be a dream home ended up a millstone around our necks which has never been finished to the standard it was supposed to be

Have to say that if I ever did it again (not likely due to the above) I would go with a nationally recognised company - to hell with helping out local businesses!
Old Dec 30th 2010, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

mac917 will become famous soon enoughmac917 will become famous soon enough

Hi,
I am in the process of building a new home in Tauranga with a national company that offers a fixed price gaurantee. I must admit the process was great during the planning phase, nothing was too much trouble and everything would be possible.
Unfortunately now the contract has been signed and the building has started it seems that all previous promises are null and void.

I would recommend that you get everything in writing and record all meetings that you have with them - they forget things!!!!!

Be aware of PC costs. These are costs that they allow for excavation, tiling, and kitchens. Considering that they are the experts and have the plans of your section and your home you will pay more than they allow, sometimes a lot more.

The building company that I use has upset my neighbour to the extent that it will take $10000 to put right. Guess who they expected to foot the bill?...yes me!!!

This is just a warning and I am sure that others have had a seemless build. My only advice would be to; not to tell them your budget but only your requirements, question every cost and get everything in writing.

Happy New Year and happy building.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

SidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by rads
Hi everyone.

many thanks
Hi Rads,

We used Platinum Homes to build our house which we moved into 12 months ago and they did what they said they would do and and I feel we got a quality job.

We upped their standard specification quite a bit and made quite a few changes mainly to avoid saying "if only we had done....." which worked for us apart for a couple of minor things that we would have done differently.

We got them to cost everything before we signed contracts and I added a bit more to our budget by way of a contingency to cater for the inevitable changes that needed to be made. In the end we ended up around $3,000 above the original contract price. Bearing in mind that we moved in 12 months ago we paid around $1,550 per square metre which included the extras such as carpets, gas central heating and concrete drive, paths and terrace as well as upping the spec.

Cheers,

Sid