Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Driving Licence rules

New Driving Licence rules

Old Jun 6th 2008, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

juliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to all
Default Re: New Driving Licence rules

Just stumbled on this post.

What does this mean then?

My OH and I were thinking of going for our tests later in the year.

Does this mean that we don't need to now?

Do we just carry on with our UK licences and do nothing or do we still apply for a NZ one?

I don't want to sit a test and part with even more cash if we don't need to.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

jojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by juliejamesmcgrath
Just stumbled on this post.

What does this mean then?

My OH and I were thinking of going for our tests later in the year.

Does this mean that we don't need to now?

Do we just carry on with our UK licences and do nothing or do we still apply for a NZ one?

I don't want to sit a test and part with even more cash if we don't need to.

Here, here. The authorities here take so much money off us as it is! We arrived in NZ on Sept 16th so the amendment is great for us!
Old Jun 7th 2008, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby and I have been revising for the theory test but as we arrived in Oct 07 looks like we don't have to take it now I'll wait till 2nd of Sept! yippeeeeee
Old Jun 8th 2008, 6:29 am
Just Joined

3kidz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, just heard the good news myself. Happy not to part with more cash!
Old Jun 8th 2008, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

juliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to all

What happens about getting the NZ Licence then, how do you get one and do you have to.

Also what happens if you have de-merits against you due to speeding, how do get these?
Old Jun 8th 2008, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by juliejamesmcgrath
What happens about getting the NZ Licence then, how do you get one and do you have to.

Also what happens if you have de-merits against you due to speeding, how do get these?
I have been told that de-merit points are stored on the computer system and as soon as you apply for your NZ licence, they get transferred.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
I have been told that de-merit points are stored on the computer system and as soon as you apply for your NZ licence, they get transferred.
They haven't appeared on my new one, but maybe they are just held electronically...
Old Jun 10th 2008, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Adventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to all

I called NZ licence dept today to ask how much it would be to just get the licence and eye test.
At the moment for exempt practical test applicants it costs $84.
They do not know the new prices.
For someone getting a licence such as a replacement licence as a Kiwi it costs about $31 now.
So maybe it will cost us $30 to $40 but I would not be too sure about this.
Probably they will make it something like $60 to $80.

By the way I called 3 x AA licencing offices and they all claimed that they did not know anything about this!! I suspect there are commercial reasons for this.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 10:13 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Yay! But thinking about it, taking the NZ theory test isn't that hard and is a good idea for new immigrants!
too right!
at least having a test means that people think about the Road Code and it raises awareness of the rules and those differences
also the increased cost of getting a new licence with a theory test as opposed to just getting a licence is not that bad is it?
probably about half a tank of petrol/diesel??
I'd pay that once to reduce my chance (and certainly my kids' chances) of being hit once by a newbie/over-confident southern european/Pomm driver by say 0.1%..........sort of an insurance policy???
Old Jun 11th 2008, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

Adventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to all

Lardyl- I tend to agree with you.
Since I have studied the NZ code there are loads of things I have learn't that I was ignorant of.

I actually consider the 'give way' turning right rules to be highly dangerous in numerous situations and generally more disadvantageous. However if those are the rules one needs to learn them. And if you do not know them it is really dangerous, as does any other country in the world have this type of rule?

Also all the rules re speeds, object sizes etc are all very useful to know.
And some of the signs I had not got a clue.

Mind you I suppose I was similarly ignorant in UK despite passing the test as one soon forgets a number of things after a few years, especially if you have no need to use them nor come across them.

Although there are intl legal reasons why NZ needs to fall in line it would be good if they came up with some incentive for people to still learn the road code and take the exam. They could make it so that taking the exam was voluntary and it did not stop you getting the licence. But maybe the AA could offer reduced membership fees if you pass it, or other such things?

Just as point in passing, it seems that most ex pats have the opinion that driving in NZ is very poor. I have driven all over the world including many countries in Europe, the Americas and Asia and I find that driving in NZ is probably one of the best, law abiding and most considerate. There will always be some bad drivers etc. but NZ has less of them in my opinion. Of course NZ is helped in this due to the relative low amount of traffic etc. compared to many other places.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 1:52 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Adventurer

have you driven in Auckland/Greater Auckland much? and are you comparing NZ to other country's cities or general suburban drivers?

Only asking as I have seen some real shockers, as a padestrian mainly, on the North Shore and in Orewa that I never saw in the UK, Europe or US (albeit limited experience in those last two).

Don't think the level of courtesy or plain common sense is so high here - no one moves over to let you in from a junction onto a dual carriageway even if the road is empty and people shove out quite a bit from parking spaces....
All the undertaking on the motorways is pretty mad too - same as in the US there mind......But that's just my take
Old Jun 11th 2008, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

sorry lardyl
agreed re your other post but not the latest.
we live in North Shore.
We have driven around Auckland and Orewa a lot.
I am amazed how most people let the traffic filter in unlike many countries I have driven in where it is every driver for themselves and if you are stuck behind a few cars in a cul de sac you can be stuck for a very long time!
I have driven substantially in UK, many parts of USA, Canada, all over France, Italy, Malta, Spain, Thailand, Malaysia, New Zealand + others.
I think it is very easy to complain about the driving wherever one is.
I am certainly not saying NZ driving is very good as probably driving is not very good overall in any place on earth (except maybe the Vatican)
I can only repeat that I find NZ driving in general probably the least bad I have experienced and I believe I have enough experience for the opinion to be a reasonable one.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 3:04 am
you dewty owld maan!

No worries - was just feeling for where your NZ experience is - some folks proclaim how quiet NZ roads are, etc but clearly they don't live around the Northern, Southern and NWern Motorways.
Karma given

Here is what I have reported before:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431659

can't remember the thread where I told the three stories of bad/lunatic driving in my first month in NZ but its somewhere.......

given up caring now, although I still think that NZ drivers are less aware of road postion and less courteous than most N European and American drivers I have met......
Old Jun 11th 2008, 4:13 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Adventurer wrote - "I actually consider the 'give way' turning right rules to be highly dangerous in numerous situations."

I agree with you totally, the rule is completely insane. In a country with denser traffic, like the UK, it would be completely impossible to operate. NZ can only get away with it because of the slow moving and sparse traffic.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 5:46 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NakiMan
Adventurer wrote - "I actually consider the 'give way' turning right rules to be highly dangerous in numerous situations."

I agree with you totally, the rule is completely insane. In a country with denser traffic, like the UK, it would be completely impossible to operate. NZ can only get away with it because of the slow moving and sparse traffic.

Can I ask how come? I have never driven overseas and never really paid attention to it when i was in a car so can't quite visualise the problem. Is the problem that if say A was giving way to B then A is holding up all the traffic behind them??

And I can count the number of times i have driven in this country on one hand (learners permit for 12 years...wahoo) so can't visualise it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.