Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Nelson vs Marlborough and housing boom

Nelson vs Marlborough and housing boom

Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Suzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud of
Default Nelson vs Marlborough and housing boom

Ok, another question.

I read that in 2005 Marlborough was experiencing the largest housing boom in the south island. Is this still the case? OH works on new builds so if it is this could be our best bet for finding work????

I like the idea of both areas, being near the coast, reachable distance to Chch and only a hop on the ferry to the north island. Can anyone recommend a really good school for 4, 6 and 9 year olds (they will be this in the autumn term).

Now a negative - can anyone come up with significant negatives for these two areas? - not just cause i like where i live please! Have done a lot of reading and don't want to be too far out/remote, like the idea of smaller towns (we are currently in a small village surrounded by fields).

Any help greatly received, I think we are slowly but surely narrowing down our search area for the recce!

THanks
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:24 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nelson vs Marlborough and housing boom

Hi

We live in Renwick, a small town 10km outside of Blenheim, surrounded by vineyards and it's a very beautiful and peaceful place to live.

And yes, there is a building boom at the moment, so plenty of work around.

The area is fantastic, if you are looking to live a outdoors lifestyle, diving, fishing, horse riding, trekking, swanning around the wineries, beaches etc then you can't get any better than here.

Blenheim itself is a fairly functional place, pleasant enough, but hardly going to get labelled the "Paris of the South".

Nelson is a nice city and is just over a hour away.

Can't think of any major negatives, we lived in Auckland for two years before coming here and now can't imagine living anywhere else in NZ. It exactly the picture of NZ we had, before we left Europe.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Suzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud of

Thanks for your reply. Its is the outdoor life style that has attracted us to the area and the outside space you seem to get with a lot of the houses.

In your opinion which out of the two areas offers the most cosmopolitian lifestyle - ie has Starbucks coffee shops, good restaurants, nice clothes shops etc. Not that we are looking for that way of life but when it is on your door stop now it may be hard not knowing a place like that is only an hour or way??

Funnily enough we have looked at Auckland, but have decided if we live in such a big city we could be anywhere in the world and big cities are not for us. Also, like you we have that picture of what NZ is like, probably with 'rose tinted spectacles on', but never the less Nelson and Marlborough are doing pretty well so far to fullfil that dream - on paper anyway!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Hi there,

We live in Blenheim and I would say for a family we have the happy medium here. Enough shops in town (although no Starbucks IMO better coffee shops!)
Good hospital (I work there!) and a real rural feel to the town. My kids (16 and 13) have lots to do in the way of cafes, clubs (dance, football etc), cinema, paint ball etc... Personally would not want to live to far out of town as would be a constant taxi service.

Nelson offers that more cosmopolitan feel and has lovely beaches!