Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Getting an elusive job offer

Getting an elusive job offer

Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

an irish googly is a jewel in the roughan irish googly is a jewel in the roughan irish googly is a jewel in the roughan irish googly is a jewel in the rough
Default Getting an elusive job offer

Hi Everyone

Well done to you ll for participating on this wonderful forum- Ive been reading for quite some time and its just good to know we are not alone.

We are all searching for better things for ourselves and our families which is great!

I am very keen to move to Wellington have lots of experience in running retail groups and also a lot of IT project management experience.

When I did the assessment for the Skilled Visa I'm told I have 165 points which is great!

I have very few family ties here my OH (who is busy running after 4 boys from 10 down to 4 months) has plenty.

But she is open to the idea of moving- and can justify it to herself and her family if I can get a good job in New Zealand!

I have contacted a few agencies and am about to start contacting some of the bigger companies directly to progress this as thus far it is difficult to get a job offer when you are not in the country!!!

All the recruitment companies say I'll have no problem getting a job but I would like to make more progress than this.

I know most people will say you cant make progress unless you are here but I have read examples of people making progress I(even as far as job offers) while still in Europe!!!!

Does anyone knows of expats (or people who have had the same problem) now working successfully in recruiting retail executives and is willing to assist me in trying to get a foothold in the door?

I am willing to go to New Zealand to complete job interviews but I wonder do the agencies see that that we are currently in Ireland and that we're not serious contenders!

Help or advice would be truly appreciated........

A problem shared is a problem solved and all that!!!!!!!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:22 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting an elusive job offer

Really in your line of work I'd say the best way without coming over here is to continually knocking on doors of a few recruitment agents - it may take a couple of months of showing to them that you are serious about coming over and share with them your progress on your visa application so that they are willing to invest time in you. Remember they get swamped with people following a dream of moving to NZ but the vast majority won't commit or back out. I'd have thought that most larger companies won't look at your CV directly because they'll have agents that do the search and select for them - keep knocking on those agents doors.

My crudentials - personally my background is in IT recruitment in the UK; husband got his job offer in finance without needing to travel to NZ via the route mentioned above.

Good luck.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

an irish googly is a jewel in the roughan irish googly is a jewel in the roughan irish googly is a jewel in the roughan irish googly is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by P18PPS
Really in your line of work I'd say the best way without coming over here is to continually knocking on doors of a few recruitment agents - it may take a couple of months of showing to them that you are serious about coming over and share with them your progress on your visa application so that they are willing to invest time in you. Remember they get swamped with people following a dream of moving to NZ but the vast majority won't commit or back out. I'd have thought that most larger companies won't look at your CV directly because they'll have agents that do the search and select for them - keep knocking on those agents doors.

My crudentials - personally my background is in IT recruitment in the UK; husband got his job offer in finance without needing to travel to NZ via the route mentioned above.

Good luck.
Thanks!!

I'll keep knocking on the doors!!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by an irish googly
Hi Everyone

Well done to you ll for participating on this wonderful forum- Ive been reading for quite some time and its just good to know we are not alone.

We are all searching for better things for ourselves and our families which is great!

I am very keen to move to Wellington have lots of experience in running retail groups and also a lot of IT project management experience.

When I did the assessment for the Skilled Visa I'm told I have 165 points which is great!

I have very few family ties here my OH (who is busy running after 4 boys from 10 down to 4 months) has plenty.

But she is open to the idea of moving- and can justify it to herself and her family if I can get a good job in New Zealand!

I have contacted a few agencies and am about to start contacting some of the bigger companies directly to progress this as thus far it is difficult to get a job offer when you are not in the country!!!

All the recruitment companies say I'll have no problem getting a job but I would like to make more progress than this.

I know most people will say you cant make progress unless you are here but I have read examples of people making progress I(even as far as job offers) while still in Europe!!!!

Does anyone knows of expats (or people who have had the same problem) now working successfully in recruiting retail executives and is willing to assist me in trying to get a foothold in the door?

I am willing to go to New Zealand to complete job interviews but I wonder do the agencies see that that we are currently in Ireland and that we're not serious contenders!

Help or advice would be truly appreciated........

A problem shared is a problem solved and all that!!!!!!!
it would be a lot easier if you already have your PR, so you might think about investing the time and money to get that. you may have to do a bit of a sell to your OH, but I think you will get further if you demonstrate to potential employers that a) you are able to work in Nz without them having to apply for a workpermit, b) are comitted enough to NZ to obtain PR, c) take the uncertainty away about whether if they offer you a job you will be able to get to NZ to take up the job.

if you still get nowhere after that a trip to NZ may be required, but that would be somewhere down the line

Nz is a smal country, so dont be careful not to "flood" the job market with your CV too much..

my 2p worth...