Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Nelson to Christchurch

Nelson to Christchurch

Old Mar 10th 2014, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

vicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nelson to Christchurch

We moved to Nelson 4 years ago from the UK and have been pretty happy here. However, hubby has never really been happy at work and is getting more unhappy. Nelson seems a hard place to find work and so we're looking further afield and he's applied for a job in Christchurch. I have very mixed feelings about it as we've made friends here, the kids are happy at school, and I finally have a job I like plus we really know nothing about Christchurch (other than what's on the news!!).

Anyone made a similar move - any advice, tips, regrets, positives, negatives etc........ Feeling very confused
Old Mar 10th 2014, 8:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Nelson to Christchurch

That's a shame vicejw as Nelson and Bays is a lovely area to live in , despite being somewhat isolated.

I agree about the job thing. It can be extremely hard to move from one job to another.
With my husbands trade & trades in general , jobs are handed around really by word of mouth unless there is a sudden splurge in building work about the place .
For part-time work here it can seem like chasing the end of a rainbow.

No idea what your husband does.

I'd like to that something suddenly turned up in the Nelson area for your husband as at 4 years in , you would have made some roots and settled a bit.

Anyway, obviously, I am not in Christchurch, although we did consider it once years ago, pre-quake , as felt it might be less isolated than the Nelson area. Then husband decided the weather there wasn't for him.

Hopefully someone will be along soon from down that way that can give you some insight into family life around the ChChurch area.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Nelson is one of the most beautiful places on earth. It must be really bad to consider moving to Orange Cone County - ooh the American inside me is coming out!

What line of work is your hubby in? Age ranges of the family would help as well?
Old Mar 10th 2014, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

JerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to all

That's a shame, Nelson would be my preferred place to be, unfortunately my chosen career means Christchurch is the only option for me atm.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 6:26 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

We rented a cottage for 1 week a month ago in Nelson and the town was very well laid out. Our small place was built a long time ago and must have had a nice view back then...all we could see was all of the oil,petroleum tanks and the main road traffic was none stop all day and a sod to cross. Weather must be better we were catching snapper at the harbour. Chch has a feeling of more ROOM...especially in what was the red zone!
Old Mar 11th 2014, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

If I had the choice between the 2 it would be Nelson but I suppose you have to go where the work is

Neil
Old Mar 11th 2014, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

Nelson is awesome but Christchurch is still a beautiful place despite the damage, and gives you great access to the Southern Alps and Banks Peninsula/Port Hills etc. as well as being nearer to the west coast and Queenstown etc. It's also 5/6 hours from Nelson so not too bad for a trip back by road (or you can fly). Obviously house/rental prices and availability around here aren't great right now, so keep an eye on that. Can't answer in terms of family life, so will leave that to others.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 9:57 am
`

Originally Posted by Stormer999
. Our small place was built a long time ago and must have had a nice view back then...all we could see was all of the oil,petroleum tanks and the main road traffic was none stop all day and a sod to cross.
Oopsies then. So many lovely places and you choose that ?
Old Mar 12th 2014, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

kitti is on a distinguished road

I used to live in Nelson and left it for Kapiti. Nelson is beautiful, but full-time can be a hard nut to crack. I'd never go back. I love being within easy reach of a city but still being semi-rural and quiet. I've only been into Wellington about four times, but I know it's there, unlike when we were in Richmond and there was the mall or Nelson that closed on Saturday afternoon. I didn't want to leave it either, but am so glad I did.

Great place for a holiday! Hope it goes well. x
Old Mar 12th 2014, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

vicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the comments, lots of food for thought. I don't go on the forum often but when I do I'm always struck by now nice it is to know that there are other expats out there who've been through, are going the same things.

Stormer999 hopefully you managed to see some of the lovely sites of Nelson!

Kitti I know exactly what you mean, we lived near London in the UK and when we moved here (site unseen I must say) I wanted somewhere quieter and more remote but sometimes the reality of that isn't quite the same as the dream. Some days I just want to go home but mostly I know the reasons for coming are still valid and so here is the best place for us and our family. Maybe a move to a bigger urban centre might work, who knows, a crystal ball would be handy!!
Old Mar 12th 2014, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

kitti is on a distinguished road

If you want to chat about it anytime, just pm me. It was hard to leave Nelson, but I don't regret it for a moment. I never go into the city, but I like to know it's there.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 9:20 pm
`

Originally Posted by kitti
I used to live in Nelson and left it for Kapiti. Nelson is beautiful, but full-time can be a hard nut to crack. I'd never go back. I love being within easy reach of a city but still being semi-rural and quiet. I've only been into Wellington about four times, but I know it's there, unlike when we were in Richmond and there was the mall or Nelson that closed on Saturday afternoon. I didn't want to leave it either, but am so glad I did.

Great place for a holiday! Hope it goes well. x
Originally Posted by vicejw
Thanks for all the comments, lots of food for thought. I don't go on the forum often but when I do I'm always struck by now nice it is to know that there are other expats out there who've been through, are going the same things.

Kitti I know exactly what you mean, we lived near London in the UK and when we moved here (site unseen I must say) I wanted somewhere quieter and more remote but sometimes the reality of that isn't quite the same as the dream. Some days I just want to go home but mostly I know the reasons for coming are still valid and so here is the best place for us and our family. Maybe a move to a bigger urban centre might work, who knows, a crystal ball would be handy!!
I'm very interested in this for obvious reasons. I have wondered if moving to somewhere which is not out on a limb would be good for us. The area is great if you can afford to fly in and out of the place. If not, then it's the one road in and the one road out . A person can go stir crazy, even in a beautiful place.