Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The negative New Zealand thread

The negative New Zealand thread

Old Oct 26th 2006, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
Its weird actually because its now beginning to taste kinda normal to me, if I got to taste the Uk chocolate again I wonder if it would taste better or not???
Same thing happened to me in Sweden. Maribo chocolate tasted weird at first, but I got a taste for it in the end and rather like it now.

But this will NEVER happen with Hershey's chocolate.

K.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 9:21 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Same thing with Bisto gravy granules, I thought I missed them but mum sent some and they were awful.
If I went back to the uk now I'd be moaning about the funny tasting food there lol.
Especially now that we hardly eat any processed food at all
Old Oct 26th 2006, 9:29 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamfish
LardFish has a great ring to it.

Come and get your Cumberlands 'ere!!!
actually came up with the name for a business I am toying with starting when (or should that be "if") we arrive...quite catchy but I am NOT posting it in a public forum
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:21 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sky
We are building our own house and it will be fully insulated and double glazed .... we're in a rental at the moment.
Dehumidifiers use lots of electric that we can't afford.
In depth news does not exist in the NZ Herald IMO
I feed a family of five on $300 a fortnight, could you?
The old villas are lovely but there is some complete crap built in this country so watch out folks.
I'm talking about cannabis as you well know.

I tell it like it is sorry if you don't like what you're reading and feel the need to go on the defensive.
I really don't want to be antagonistic, but if you're currently paying rent I assume and building your own house, so must have brought a section. The fact you're raising a family of 5 on $150 a week I find very hard to comprehend? Is your budget based on the capital invested/tied up in your new build, which perhaps makes your budget not realistic to people emmigrating? Like I said more a please clarify - don't rip my head off!! Merely, trying to ascertain the facts!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:30 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I really don't want to be antagonistic, but if you're currently paying rent I assume and building your own house, so must have brought a section. The fact you're raising a family of 5 on $150 a week I find very hard to comprehend? Is your budget based on the capital invested/tied up in your new build, which perhaps makes your budget not realistic to people emmigrating? Like I said more a please clarify - don't rip my head off!! Merely, trying to ascertain the facts!
Don't really understand what you're asking
Hubby earns a ridiculously small wage here . we bought the land outright and have some to put towards a house yes (with the money we originally brought over from the uk) and then we'll be mortgaged up to our necks, like every one else seems to be here, in relation to our earnings.
We're paying more rent than our mortgage will be though thank god and also we are saving for when we'll be paying mortgage and rent together towards the end of our house build soooo that leaves hardly anything for anything else.
I actually quite enjoy the challenge of shopping on such a tiny budget and I buy bulk flour, rice, sugar, pasta ... everything dried basically, and then I buy only what is on special after that. If I see toothpaste on special at $1 a packet I buy loads, stuff like that.
When my youngest is a bit older I will find work and then we'll be a lot better off, we'll feel like millionaires after having to get by on so little for so long now
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:33 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
..... I buy bulk flour, rice, sugar, pasta ...
You Italian?

Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:37 pm
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
You Italian?

Nope lol
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:39 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Don't really understand what you're asking
Hubby earns a ridiculously small wage here . we bought the land outright and have some to put towards a house yes (with the money we originally brought over from the uk) and then we'll be mortgaged up to our necks, like every one else seems to be here, in relation to our earnings.
We're paying more rent than our mortgage will be though thank god and also we are saving for when we'll be paying mortgage and rent together towards the end of our house build soooo that leaves hardly anything for anything else.
I actually quite enjoy the challenge of shopping on such a tiny budget and I buy bulk flour, rice, sugar, pasta ... everything dried basically, and then I buy only what is on special after that. If I see toothpaste on special at $1 a packet I buy loads, stuff like that.
When my youngest is a bit older I will find work and then we'll be a lot better off, we'll feel like millionaires after having to get by on so little for so long now
I'm trying to get in the habit of cooking from scratch again. Got lazy in that department over the years. Its suprising what you can do when you don't have the money. Its a pity you can't fill the gaps in your container with buy one get one free offers!!!!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:45 pm
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
I'm trying to get in the habit of cooking from scratch again. Got lazy in that department over the years. Its suprising what you can do when you don't have the money. Its a pity you can't fill the gaps in your container with buy one get one free offers!!!!
I know lol but you may as well not bring stuff and just do cold turkey.
I brought a huge jar of coffee and bisto gravy granules over with me when we first came and it seems ridiculous now
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Thanks Sky, a civiled response, not a "you must die for asking" like on the Oz forum!!
/Blimey, I purchased flour, sugar, butter etc for half term to "play" with the kids. They we re so scared when they saw the contents of the trolley, knowing my minimal level of patience!! Needless to say, no "baking" has taken place thus far!!!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:50 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sky, a civiled response, not a "you must die for asking" like on the Oz forum!!
/Blimey, I purchased flour, sugar, butter etc for half term to "play" with the kids. They we re so scared when they saw the contents of the trolley, knowing my minimal level of patience!! Needless to say, no "baking" has taken place thus far!!!

We had a good day yesterday, drop scones, lemon cake and fish pie, all homemade Today, chicken dippers and smiley faces !!! Nigella I aint!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:50 pm
sky
Banned

lol I was hopeless at budgeting in the uk and most meals came out of the freezer so me cooking everything from scratch here has been a bit of a surprise for my family.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by sky
lol I was hopeless at budgeting in the uk and most meals came out of the freezer so me cooking everything from scratch here has been a bit of a surprise for my family.
Negatives about New Zealand? The drive from Rotorua to Taupo and then on to Wellington. I can only say it was when i stuck a finger in one of the lakes at the Thermal Park ... Family of 6, 6 hour drive, campervan ... and me with "Sulpher Stomach" You have no idea of the enourmity of the stench from my pretty, girlie, fairy, ..., bottom burps!!
Old Oct 27th 2006, 1:25 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by sky
The chocolate all tastes like cheap easter egg chocolate to me, but then mum sent me some from the uk and it made me ill :scared:

I used to love the big Cadbury's bars you could get in NZ which you couldn't get in the UK - Caramello and Rocky Road and stuff.

OH NO I've done it again - this is supposed to be a negative thread!!!

errr the wages are sh1t there's no jobs and everything is really really expensive. And the Kiwis go on to you all the time with things like "well at least you're not in England"

There - was that negative enough?

Buzzy
Old Oct 27th 2006, 3:08 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I used to love the big Cadbury's bars you could get in NZ which you couldn't get in the UK - Caramello and Rocky Road and stuff.

OH NO I've done it again - this is supposed to be a negative thread!!!

errr the wages are sh1t there's no jobs and everything is really really expensive. And the Kiwis go on to you all the time with things like "well at least you're not in England"

There - was that negative enough?

Buzzy
Way too positive. Try harder!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.