Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Need your help. Is NZ70k$ a good salary for ChCh ?

Need your help. Is NZ70k$ a good salary for ChCh ?

Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:26 am
Just Joined

Awla2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need your help. Is NZ70k$ a good salary for ChCh ?

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hi there Awla.

I think that English may not be your first language and that you do not live in the UK.

Sorry if some of the posts are off topic or too many words. Christchurch is a city with problems and that can make people feel quite emotional .

Do you have a job in Christchurch please?

If not, why is this your choice?

The difficult part to me is the cost of housing. Rent.

Will you have NZ residency?

Thanks BEVS
Really i don't live in UK and English is my second language and i have a job offer in Christchurch .and i will travel from middle east to New zealand .

what do you think the cost of renting for 2 bedroom there .
Old Sep 16th 2013, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

trademe.co.nz

realestate.co.nz

Search for 2 bedroom rentals - you cannot be fussy i'm afraid, it is a smash and grab market at the moment, and will be for years to come.

You coming to work for the government or are you doing a transfer over from your current company???
Old Sep 16th 2013, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Awla2000
Thanks BEVS
Really i don't live in UK and English is my second language and i have a job offer in Christchurch .and i will travel from middle east to New zealand .

what do you think the cost of renting for 2 bedroom there .
Hi, Awla200...
Have you visited NZ or get the chance to visit prior to emigrating??
Old Sep 16th 2013, 9:37 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by pixiewink
Hi, Awla200...
Have you visited NZ or get the chance to visit prior to emigrating??
That won't help in this case TBH and I doubt this chap will be able to pop on over .
So, best we can do is try and offer practical info to help.

Anyone in the Christchurch area at the moment have any thoughts about 2 bed rentals in the ChCh area.Are there any areas a bit further out that are doable.

Awla2000 - Will you have transport?
Old Sep 16th 2013, 9:38 pm
`

Originally Posted by Tom1983
You coming to work for the government or are you doing a transfer over from your current company???
Good point. They may be able to help.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

As Tom mentioned its dog eat dog over here at the moment. Probably anywhere from $250 to $400 a week. Properties are getting snapped up very fast, appearing on trademe on a morning, then gone by the afternoon. Agents won't be interested in fielding enquiries from abroad, so no point looking until you get here. Check a place over thoroughly, watch out for mould and get a schedule of condition before signing up for a rental - cover your back. Might be useful to have a reference from the UK, as our old agency 1st avenue (on Bealy ave) wanted to see one.

Last edited by Mark Smith; Sep 16th 2013 at 11:13 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Anyone in the Christchurch area at the moment have any thoughts about 2 bed rentals in the ChCh area.Are there any areas a bit further out that are doable.

Awla2000 - Will you have transport?
Lots of people commute from Rangiora (me included), plenty of rentals about, I should think 2 bedrooms would be scarce but here's one:

http://www.realestate.co.nz/2116998

$70,000 p.a. would put $1,050 in your pocket a week, so allow $50 a week in petrol and the above property becomes well affordable. There is a good bus service too although it does add to the commute time.

Good luck
Old Sep 17th 2013, 12:46 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

If he has transport, it's a no brainer

Rolleston, Rangiora, Kaipoi - you'd probably get much better for your money than you would currently in Christchurch

Here's a couple of 2 bedroom rentals on Trade Me, one is an unfurnished and the other is a furnished (as I don't know what he'll be looking for)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/re...-636625729.htm - unfurnished

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/re...-638002881.htm - furnished

If your wanting a furnished property, very very very good luck!!!!! Any that comes on the market under $500 is snapped up very quickly. Even $500pw is expensive

As you're coming from the middle east, I presume you've taken an IELTS test since English is your 2nd language??? Or is that not a requirement???
Old Sep 17th 2013, 12:47 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
Might be useful to have a reference from the UK, as our old agency 1st avenue (on Bealy ave) wanted to see one.
1st Avenue (on Bealey Ave) were our letting agents when we lived in Linwood.

Old Sep 17th 2013, 2:03 am
`

Originally Posted by Tom1983
As you're coming from the middle east, I presume you've taken an IELTS test since English is your 2nd language??? Or is that not a requirement???
Proving a standard of English language is a requirement for everyone. As Awla2000 has a job offer, he has probably shown or proven this one way or another.

Show you have an English-speaking background or you are a competent user of English

You can provide us with evidence that you have an English-speaking background or you can prove that you have good English language abilities through other means, such as:
  • your current country of residence
  • countries you may have lived in before
  • how long you were in each country
  • whether you speak any languages other than English
  • your family’s ability to speak English
  • whether your family members speak any languages other than English
  • your previous or current work and the level of English language skills required
  • your qualifications and the level of English language skills they required.
We may still require you to provide an IELTS certificate to confirm you meet our English requirements.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:22 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

$70 K is fab if you are single but if supporting others it will be possible depending on what sort of standard of living you are wanting. My brother-in-law and sister have 3 kids in chch - his salary is $150k as my sis is a stay at home mum and they struggle - have high mortgage though.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
have high mortgage though.
I would say that anyone who has bought a house in the past 2 years is guilty of what you've said.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 12:35 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

More freedom without a house in this global era anyway.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Awla2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Need your guidance regarding Visa Process.
I want to know which type of visa i should apply for.

Now i have a job offer [Development Engineer-Full Time ] , also how much time does it take and is there any thing can prevent it to be approved

Last edited by Awla2000; Sep 19th 2013 at 1:14 pm.