Asthma and Gp's

Old Sep 19th 2013, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Trinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant future
Default Asthma and Gp's

Hi all,

I also wanted to ask a few questions about health care: my 8 yr old son has mild asthma and has to have regular Ventolin inhalers and occasionally other meds. He has just been prescribed the steroid one as well (hopefully only short term.) I understand from my small bits of research I've done, that you have to pay for GP's but not for hospital treatment. Roughly how much is a visit to a Dr. or does it depend on the length of the apt.? Can u book on the day u need it or is there a waiting time if they're full? What about medication, is it subsidised like the UK? I am guessing probably not. I know that this will be an ongoing thing so would like to be prepared for what to expect. I have a figure of about £25 in my head, for a visit to a GP in NZ, but does that include treatments/examination/meds?

Thanks from an anxious mum!
Old Sep 19th 2013, 10:01 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Asthma and Gp's

Originally Posted by Trinamch
Hi all,

I also wanted to ask a few questions about health care: my 8 yr old son has mild asthma and has to have regular Ventolin inhalers and occasionally other meds. He has just been prescribed the steroid one as well (hopefully only short term.) I understand from my small bits of research I've done, that you have to pay for GP's but not for hospital treatment. Roughly how much is a visit to a Dr. or does it depend on the length of the apt.? Can u book on the day u need it or is there a waiting time if they're full? What about medication, is it subsidised like the UK? I am guessing probably not. I know that this will be an ongoing thing so would like to be prepared for what to expect. I have a figure of about £25 in my head, for a visit to a GP in NZ, but does that include treatments/examination/meds?

Thanks from an anxious mum!
Hi. All I can tell you is that doctors fees are usually based on the area in which you live. Some are cheaper than others. What area will you be living in? If you can tell us that information I'm sure someone on here from that area will beable to give you more advice. . Sorry I couldn't help further.

My husband has bad eczema and he asked the doctor for extra supplies to come here with. The doctor let us have a box full of creams, tablets etc. it was expensive but its worth it. That way your not panicking to sort things out straight away.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

The cost of a child's visit to the drs varies from surgery to surgery. At my drs, under-5s are free and over-5s are $11 a visit. But I know of a surgery only a couple of kms away where kids appointments cost $30. I think it depends on the running costs of that particular surgery and also what funding they get from the government. You would be able to find out appointment charges before you signed up with a particular drs.

Sorry, I don't know costs of asthma medications etc but hopefully someone will be along soon with more information.

We can usually get an appointment at our surgery the same day or the next day. I don't feel rushed along by the dr, always feel she has time to have a bit of a chat.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Prices for GP visits seem to vary widely depending on location and even specific surgery. I was paying $45/visit, moved to a surgery 5 mins round the corner and now pay $16/visit, this pays for your basic appt only (and I'm on the North Shore in Auckland which is notoriously expensive)
Its definitely been easier for me to get a GP appt here than it was in the UK but I cant always get one on the same day, if not that day its usually the next day though.
Each prescription costs $5 for a subsidised medication but not all meds are subsidised (at present ventolin inhalers are fully subsidised)

Hope that helps
Old Sep 19th 2013, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Trinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant futureTrinamch has a brilliant future

Thanks everyone! It looks like we may be headed for Wellington, or less likely Aukland.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone! It looks like we may be headed for Wellington, or less likely Aukland. Does that help?
Old Sep 19th 2013, 10:28 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

our GP charges $46.80 per visit for anyone over 6.

my asthma pumps cost more than the $5 per script and they gave me the choice of one with steroids and one without and the cost varied between the two.
as stated it depends on the surgery.

Hospital visits are also charged and not free, again about $48 where we are.

you may hear of the ACC - apparently this has changed lately and you do not get free medical care on it. I got an astounding $1.50 off my consultation with it no idea what happens if I need more professional help and not sure if I can claim the rest of the consultation back.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Sorry MrsFychan, I don't know what the ACC is... is that some sort of Asthma organisation?
Old Sep 20th 2013, 7:40 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

no its NZ accident compensation scheme. I was under the impression if you have an accident they would pay for care. but so far of the $160 I've paid out I've had $3.00 taken off because it has been a ACC consultation and nothing for the medication
Old Sep 20th 2013, 7:42 am

had a look at the price list for consultation whilst I was there today and if you are not funded cost of a consultation is $90