Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Need to meet people, Loves dogs!

Need to meet people, Loves dogs!

Old Apr 1st 2014, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

Christmas2014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need to meet people, Loves dogs!

Hi everyone, I'm over here from Blackpool, I've been here since last October and other than my husbands work mates I don't know anyone.
Is there any women out there who would like to meet up for coffee/drinks, or even to walk the dog (your dog as mine are at home and I really miss them).
I'm a young 40 something, not working so plenty of time on my hands.
Also anyone who would like me to walk their dog (free of course) let me know.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice
Default Re: Need to meet people, Loves dogs!

There's bound to be hundreds of people in a similar way in Auckland surely. What about tapping into the work mates partners and have a coffee morning exactly when the work mates themselves cannot get there. Only a suggestion.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

You may wish to check this posting too >>>> Auckland bayside area drinks
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 3:18 am
Just Joined

Hi Snaps, I have seen that post and added "count me in next time".
As for the workmates wives, most of them are from overseas and have left their wives at home or they are single :-(
But thanks for your suggestions.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Ps. I have two fluffy things which I call dogs but others would say are dusters!!!
Attached Thumbnails Need to meet people, Loves dogs!-image.jpg  
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

You're in apace of many people, you need to throw yourself at it, hey won't come to you.

I joined all the sporting clubs I could find, went on all the social events I was invited to through work, regardless of whether I wanted to or no. I also found the local ex pats club. I constantly contact people, as it's still not a network I could call friends, but acquaintances become friends. It takes time, and effort.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 3:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

To be fair , I think that in cities it can be harder to connect with people than when you are plonked into a small community.

Having said that, it can still be hard when you are a lone female, no kids and not working. We're not all cut out for sports activities or the local book club.

Auckland is very spread out . Are you actually staying in the CBD area then?

Here's a thought - SPCA volunteer

Woman's Institute - might sound a bit stuffy but all manner of woman belong to them.

Auckland Newcomers Club
- most NA areas have something similar to this.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Helen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to all

Helloooo!! I'm in almost the exact situation. I've not really given myself chance to breathe until now.

I've been working from home (artist) and looking at what I can do with my work visa attached to my OHs. I'm near Howick at the moment if that's helpful?

For me (I'm not overly sporty but enjoy walks and yoga etc), I organised a meet up with some folks who practice the same Buddhism as me which has worked out rather well.

In my experience, Kiwis have been absolutely amazing and friendly. Especially since my OH has been sent out to China for work for 2 weeks (within the first two weeks of being here!).

It is very difficult when you don't have the traditional work structure to fix stuff around but I'm more than happy to use this as an excuse to get a dog so we can meet up!

Hx
Old Apr 7th 2014, 6:25 am
Just Joined

Hi Helen,
I'm hoping to get a car sorted soon so will have a drive over to see you and your dog if you get one.
Keep in touch.
Bridget :-)
Old Apr 7th 2014, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Helen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Christmas2014
Hi Helen,
I'm hoping to get a car sorted soon so will have a drive over to see you and your dog if you get one.
Keep in touch.
Bridget :-)
I have a car I don't yet have a dog but I do have a car - I'll pop my email in a PM
Old Apr 7th 2014, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm meeting Christmas 2014 (Bridgit) today at 2.00pm in Mission Bay for a glass or two! Join us is you want to I'm sure she won't mind.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 10:02 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Hebe
I'm meeting Christmas 2014 (Bridgit) today at 2.00pm in Mission Bay for a glass or two! Join us is you want to I'm sure she won't mind.

Have fun.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hebe
Ah bother - sorry, I've only just seen this. I had a job interview at 2pm so it was for a good reason!