Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Impartial advice on Job applications wanted

Impartial advice on Job applications wanted

Old Apr 3rd 2014, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Impartial advice on Job applications wanted

I've been dealing with a whole raft of job agencies who Skype me and after talking with me say they will now go on to present my details to the client(s) only for me to never hear from them again.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to why this should be so?

I know I am in the UK looking to move to NZ and I know this is one factor that doesn't help sell me to some of the potential employers but even so..

My skill-set is C#.Net software development.

Steve
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Impartial advice on Job applications wanted

Are they saying they have specific jobs to put you forward for or are they just filling their books with potential candidates should an employer come looking? They need your specific permission on a case by case basis to put your details forward to a potential client, so if they haven't said who they're giving your details to then probably they don't yet have a client or job in mind. You need to control who they are sharing your details with, so as to avoid multiple approaches to same employers also.

Recruitment companies do have a particularly bad rep for not getting back to you etc. but I can now sympathise a little as their job must be really difficult when you see the material they are dealing with - the casual, we can't actually be arsed / she'll be right style of management usually prevails and companies don't like to commit to actually employing someone until they suss out the situation of any mates and internal contacts they might know already. It can take many weeks and sometimes months from applying for a specific role to getting an interview and a job offer.

You will find it doubly difficult not being here.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 6:16 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

as Bo says unless they are asking you permission to submit to a named company they are not putting you forward for a specific position.
We fell into this trap whilst looking in the UK until one agent informed us that they have to give you company names for you to agree to before they can put you forward. Comes down to you may not wanting to work for certain types of company.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
I've been dealing with a whole raft of job agencies who Skype me and after talking with me say they will now go on to present my details to the client(s) only for me to never hear from them again.

I know I am in the UK looking to move to NZ and I know this is one factor that doesn't help sell me to some of the potential employers but even so..

Steve
Hi Steve,

We went out as visitors in the hope my husband would secure an IT position and we could apply for residency.
In the lead up to going he would apply for jobs and then around a week later follow it up with a phone call.
As soon as we booked our flights he contacted them again to say we would be there on that date. He managed to line up around 5 interviews with agencies for the first few days after we arrived.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:57 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

we did pretty much the same as Spacecake, except husband came out on his own for 3 weeks, 2 in Wellington and 1 in Auckland. landed on the Tuesday, got offered a job on the Friday, went to Immigration and got temp work visa and started work on the Monday so didn't make the return flights of Auckland laeg but Company paid for the change of dates and he came back for a week over the kids school holidays. we flew out after selling the house 4mths later
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 10:47 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Steve,

My partner works in IT and started applying for jobs whilst in the UK. He found that most companies and agencies weren't interested unless he was in NZ. Also, most companies don't understood the technicalities of immigration. A lot of companies out here do not understand visas/work permits etc, which puts them off hiring you unless you are already in NZ with a valid work visa.

My only suggestion would be to take a look at the list of accredited employers and apply to them directly as you may be able to get a Work to Residency visa, which you can "upgrade" to permanent residency later on (providing you meet the requirements of permanent residency). Even if you don't think the companies are hiring it's still worth sending a speculative application. Also, check out the requirements for a WTR visa. If a company is on the accredited employers list the chances are the said company will understand how immigration and visas work and may be more open to employing you.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...loyersList.htm

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

Good luck with it all. The thing you have on your side is working in IT. Certain parts of NZ are really lacking experienced IT workers

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Apr 3rd 2014 at 10:49 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

http://www.workingin-newzealand.com/...r#.Uz3xNbH2-M8

Apply for that one - since they've advertised on a migrant company, they will consider you for the position
This is the agency where I achieved interviews for positions in Brisbane, Perth and the job I took on now

Oh is your CV and covering letter to NZ standards. If you send a UK standard one, I'd put money on it going straight to the recycle bin.

With regards
Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Are they saying they have specific jobs to put you forward for or are they just filling their books with potential candidates should an employer come looking?

To be fair there have been some specific employers discussed.

Other calls have been more general.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve

Thanks to all for the replies so far.
There are some great suggestions.

Steve
Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tom1983
http://www.workingin-newzealand.com/...r#.Uz3xNbH2-M8

Apply for that one - since they've advertised on a migrant company, they will consider you for the position
This is the agency where I achieved interviews for positions in Brisbane, Perth and the job I took on now

Oh is your CV and covering letter to NZ standards. If you send a UK standard one, I'd put money on it going straight to the recycle bin.

With regards
Thanks Tom
appreciated

Steve
Old Apr 5th 2014, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve

Sorry all: Mrs J (aka Lynn) has asked me to inform you all that I need a job offer in order to achieve the level of points that would enable me to submit an EOI. She has also asked me to determine if my AGE is a factor. I am currently 51.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 8:52 am

you need to be under 55 so think you will be ok on that.

Husband did his EOI and think it came out at 115, wasn't getting anywhere looking from the UK so that is why he decided to come over to have a look round to see if it actually was somewhere we could live.

once he got the job offer he got the temp visa, then added the points to the EOI and was drawn on the next selection date.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
you need to be under 55 so think you will be ok on that.

Husband did his EOI and think it came out at 115, wasn't getting anywhere looking from the UK so that is why he decided to come over to have a look round to see if it actually was somewhere we could live.

once he got the job offer he got the temp visa, then added the points to the EOI and was drawn on the next selection date.
Thanks for this.
We visited NZ in October 2013 for the same reasons - to make sure we wanted live there but I failed to land any interviews with employers before and during the time I was there. This was despite the agencies being informed of ally arrival dates etc.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 9:46 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this.
We visited NZ in October 2013 for the same reasons - to make sure we wanted live there but I failed to land any interviews with employers before and during the time I was there. This was despite the agencies being informed of ally arrival dates etc.
It is possibly due to you not having a valid work visa/permit. The issue with SMC is that it takes months to come through, which puts employers off. I'm not sure if there's any other visa or permit you can get so that you can start your job before your permanent residency comes through SMC. It sounds as if MrsFychan's husband obtained a temp visa, but I'm guessing you have to have a job in order to get this.

The issue I mentioned before is that a lot of companies don't understand the immigration process. The reason my partner was successful is because he received a job offer from a company on the accredited employers list. The other companies that he applied to who were not on the accredited employers list were not interested even though there was shortage of people with the exact skill set my partner has. It seemed like unless he already had permanent residency or citizenship they just weren't interested.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 12:01 am

yes you have to have a job to get the temp work visa, Company husband got offer from had previously been accredited but had let it lapse. They wanted him so they reapplied to obtain it again enabling husband to be offered the job and obtain a visa.

Unfortunately lots of companies don't realise its job offer first before a visa unless you get the magic 140 and over meaning you don't need a job offer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.