Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Name change required!

Name change required!

Old Feb 5th 2009, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light
Question Name change required!

Hi,

Just want to see if anyone has any advice.
My husband and I have submitted our ITA and are in the pending pile apparently!
We have had to put my maidan name as I couldnt change my passport into my married name, because we had booked our flights to NZ for job hunting months ago, and air NZ wont do a name change:curse:

Do you think it will cause unknown chaos with immigration if I get a new passport with my married name once we return from NZ on the 13th March? or would it better if I leave it in my maidan name until we get our PR or WTR then change it - Im sure there would be extra costs involved with either option!!

Any advice welcome!

Jo
Old Feb 7th 2009, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Name change required!

Originally Posted by Jo-Chris
Hi,

Just want to see if anyone has any advice.
My husband and I have submitted our ITA and are in the pending pile apparently!
We have had to put my maidan name as I couldnt change my passport into my married name, because we had booked our flights to NZ for job hunting months ago, and air NZ wont do a name change:curse:

Do you think it will cause unknown chaos with immigration if I get a new passport with my married name once we return from NZ on the 13th March? or would it better if I leave it in my maidan name until we get our PR or WTR then change it - Im sure there would be extra costs involved with either option!!

Any advice welcome!

Jo
Anyone????
Old Feb 7th 2009, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a case officer? Send them an email or go onto immigration website and ask the question. I personally think if you send a copy of your new passport with a note of explanation it should be ok,as long as it is before ITA is approved and visas issued. Hopefully someone will come along and correct me if this is not the case

Phyl x
Old Feb 7th 2009, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by weejie
Do you have a case officer? Send them an email or go onto immigration website and ask the question. I personally think if you send a copy of your new passport with a note of explanation it should be ok,as long as it is before ITA is approved and visas issued. Hopefully someone will come along and correct me if this is not the case

Phyl x
Hi,
Thanks for your response. We dont have a case officer yet, our ITA is still pending. We did put in our ITA covering letter that if successful would change my passport into married name if thats is acceptable to them! I am hoping to change it when we return from our job hunt in NZ.
We go in two weeks today for 3 weeks!!! So I imagine at that point we still wont have a CO.

Thanks Again
Jo
Old Feb 7th 2009, 2:27 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I found that the authorities are fine with changing your name on marriage, so long as you have the required marriage certificate. It was a bit harder changing it back after I divorced.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
I found that the authorities are fine with changing your name on marriage, so long as you have the required marriage certificate. It was a bit harder changing it back after I divorced.
Im in this situation myself, we married last june and then applied in july to come here.i didnt want to send of my passport for name change in case nz house then requested it kinda thing.. any one any ideas what i should do now as im over here ..just a real pain as half my stuff in married name rest still in maiden. we have a WTR

thanks caz