Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

My job hunt so far!

My job hunt so far!

Old Aug 11th 2013, 11:28 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My job hunt so far!

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
We could drive to the busking spot in a three wheeled car !
Old Aug 11th 2013, 7:15 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Erm. That might catch on and you would make your fortunes

I insist on a sound bite of this busking group.

I read you'll be off back to Blighty at the end of the year Pippalonghorn. I realise you're going all out to find work here to help finances but what about the work situation back there?

Just asking out of interest as I do know a couple of expat pals of mine that are thinking to return. One a tradie . One not.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 7:31 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Erm. That might catch on and you would make your fortunes

I insist on a sound bite of this busking group.

I read you'll be off back to Blighty at the end of the year Pippalonghorn. I realise you're going all out to find work here to help finances but what about the work situation back there?

Just asking out of interest as I do know a couple of expat pals of mine that are thinking to return. One a tradie . One not.
Hi BEVS

I'm lucky really as my job back in England gave me a years grace. If it didn't work out here I can return to my old job. Got that confirmed in writing. I worked in a prison and loved it. My hubby can also return to his old job but he hated it and so he may try to work for himself. I can support us until he gets sorted. I have always found there to be jobs out there in England if you look hard enough. I used to start with casual work and then apply for posts with that company. I even wrote to company's asking for voluntary work and was offered paid work instead.

Where do your pals plan returning to? I'm from the North East.

Consider yourself in our pop group. X
Old Aug 11th 2013, 8:42 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Roll out the barrel we'll have a barrel of fun....

Today I got a turn down for a job I was interviewed for last week.

Hey ho, keep smiling.

These job interviews are becoming all a bit of a tease to be honest.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 9:55 pm
`

One wishes to return to Devon or as close to Dorset as they can get. Jobs have not been forthcoming despite family and friends on the ground. The other feels free to go where the wind/work blows.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:02 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

The other feels free to go where the wind/work blows.
Yup, I can relate to that.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:37 am
Looking for my marbles.

Roll out the barrel we'll have a barrel of fun....

Today I got a turn down for a job I was interviewed for last week.

Hey ho, keep smiling.

These job interviews are becoming all a bit of a tease to be honest.
This one will make you chuckle I got a phone call yesterday afternoon off a guy telling me that I may be short listed for a counselling job for gambling. The only thing is that he had already e-mailed me on the morning to say I had been un-successful! I explained this to him and he just stuttered, said thanks for my time and hung up. How embarrassing.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
This one will make you chuckle I got a phone call yesterday afternoon off a guy telling me that I may be short listed for a counselling job for gambling. The only thing is that he had already e-mailed me on the morning to say I had been un-successful! I explained this to him and he just stuttered, said thanks for my time and hung up. How embarrassing.

The only similar thing that hapened to me was getting an e-mail, last December, from an organisation that I've applied for many times for different roles. I had no outstanding applications. However, I got an e-mail to say that if I was waiting for an interview I would be advised of the details in the new year. Not suprisingly, I got another e-mail a couple of days later saying that if I was not waiting for interview details, thank you for your interest, - or words to that affect. Oops, that was someone's cock up !

I just got off the phone from the guy that e-mailed me yesterday to turn me down for a job. There was a candidate already working in a similar role with a more relevant back ground. Other than that, there was nothing wrong with me or my application.

He just said with regard to communication that I speak quickly although he accepts it was nerves and said he speaks quickly sometimes too.

I was interviewed at short notice (which they apologised for) recently i.e. I was phoned at 3pm one day to be told the interview was at 3pm the next day. OK, no problem. It's just that they haven't got back to me regarding the outcome and I don't think they ever will.

It's all one way traffic with these interviews. Same in Britain though, and I'm just as fed up with it.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Aug 12th 2013 at 11:42 am. Reason: thought of something else
Old Aug 12th 2013, 1:36 pm
Looking for my marbles.

The only similar thing that hapened to me was getting an e-mail, last December, from an organisation that I've applied for many times for different roles. I had no outstanding applications. However, I got an e-mail to say that if I was waiting for an interview I would be advised of the details in the new year. Not suprisingly, I got another e-mail a couple of days later saying that if I was not waiting for interview details, thank you for your interest, - or words to that affect. Oops, that was someone's cock up !

I just got off the phone from the guy that e-mailed me yesterday to turn me down for a job. There was a candidate already working in a similar role with a more relevant back ground. Other than that, there was nothing wrong with me or my application.

He just said with regard to communication that I speak quickly although he accepts it was nerves and said he speaks quickly sometimes too.

I was interviewed at short notice (which they apologised for) recently i.e. I was phoned at 3pm one day to be told the interview was at 3pm the next day. OK, no problem. It's just that they haven't got back to me regarding the outcome and I don't think they ever will.

It's all one way traffic with these interviews. Same in Britain though, and I'm just as fed up with it.

Don't let it get you down or doubt yourself. I still think its more of who you know and not what you know. I was lucky in my last place of work in england as staff were praised very often which gave you more confidence at work. Your probably just as good or even better than those in your field so don't let it knock your confidence.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 1:49 pm

Don't let it get you down or doubt yourself. I still think its more of who you know and not what you know. I was lucky in my last place of work in england as staff were praised very often which gave you more confidence at work. Your probably just as good or even better than those in your field so don't let it knock your confidence.
Thanks, I need you in my corner !
Old Aug 12th 2013, 2:57 pm
Looking for my marbles.

Thanks, I need you in my corner !
I'm in you're corner. You lot have helped me out over this last 2 months more than you know.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in you're corner. You lot have helped me out over this last 2 months more than you know.
Often enough that's what we're here for. Despite some of the negativity, disagreements or simple hard truths, this forum allows those of us in similar positions or predicaments to at least put our feelings and thoughts out there and tell us how crazy or how close to the truth we might be.

Snapshot - what is your background skill/job wise? What are you looking for?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by davros1984
Snapshot - what is your background skill/job wise? What are you looking for?
Secretarial/admin/personal assistant is what I'm into. I've worked in Childrens Services in Britain as a Service Support Assistant. Prior to that I was in various temporary roles for a few years from covering the phone for an afternoon while the team was in a team meeting to P.A. to the Director of a property company. All from various temporary employment agencies. Some 'temp' jobs lasted eighteen months, to two years.

I've worked for City Care in Christchurch in an administrative role. I've worked for a local authority near Wanganui as a temporary Project Administrator on an infrastructure project.

I've been interviewed and been turned down for various admin roles this year. It's rare to get feedback on my interview performance. Just the bog standard, 'not successful on this occasion' e-mail or phone call or letter. If they can be bothered to let me know of the outcome at all.

So, I'll continue to look for admin jobs of from Admin Assistant to Personal Assistant via admin support roles. I'll do a modest admin job or I'll step up to the plate and do a more sophisticated role. I just get pipped to the post again and again.

Employment agencies on the North Island ? Don't go there. No, really, please DON'T.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Aug 12th 2013 at 6:28 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 7:07 pm
`

We're all in your corner Snap Shot.
I've read your struggles trying to gain meaningful employment and have felt for you. With a Kiwi husband you are maybe here for the long term regardless so I really have a wish for you. To read that you have found a good job you are happy with as I feel that might make a world of difference to your joint lives here.

You are a real trier .
Old Aug 12th 2013, 7:31 pm

We're all in your corner Snap Shot.
I've read your struggles trying to gain meaningful employment and have felt for you. With a Kiwi husband you are maybe here for the long term regardless so I really have a wish for you. To read that you have found a good job you are happy with as I feel that might make a world of difference to your joint lives here.

You are a real trier .
Bevs, thanks. Heartfelt thanks, honestly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.