Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

My job hunt so far!

My job hunt so far!

Old Aug 8th 2013, 1:24 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default My job hunt so far!

Most of you know my situation by now... Ive moaned on about it for the last 4 weeks . I went for a job interview around 3 weeks ago. They were very keen and said I had been successful. I have telephoned them several times for a start date and had no success at all. I keep getting passed on to various people and given various excuses. I was excited about this job as I have applied for around about 40 to 50 jobs so far and not even had an interview.

Is it true that Kiwi bosses prefer Kiwi workers? Now sometimes I dont believe this as I see many immigrants like myself working. My cover letter and CV do not have a geordie accent so that cant put them off!

I have asked for feedback on my applications when I have recieved the dreaded " you have been unsuccessful this time" e-mails. Heard nothing back.

Now times are very hard at the moment. Dont worry I haven't started eating out of dustbins yet (although where I live the people feed the birds with totally suitable bread that I could eat!)

I need to work. Any ideas anyone? Please don't say selling my body as no-one would pay for it!
Old Aug 8th 2013, 3:01 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My job hunt so far!

Sometimes you need to be proactive without being pushy. Try offering them a start date. Offer to start in 2 weeks and give them a suggested date to work towards. Maybe offer to visit and meet your future colleagues so they can get to know you. Get yourself booked on training/induction.

Chances are people are really busy and you get put on the bottom of the pile. I picked up some work about 4 months after my initial application. She said I was perfect but the interview was not forthcoming. I ended up organising the interview for her, then had to set a date for the training and the start. Their business is so successful right now she is struggling to cope with her workload.

Some employers prefer local staff, others just go for the best no matter where they are from. What they like to hear is that you are happy to try and fit in. They don't like to hear how you are going to bring the company in line with UK ways of doing things.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

kiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond repute

Never had a problem with my Geordie accent. Kiwi employers seem to be completely oblivious to it (unless you strike one who simply doesn't like Poms).
Have you tried an agency for temporary employment to fill in the gap? Just don't tell them you're waiting to hear from a prospective employer.
Pete
Old Aug 8th 2013, 5:51 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

as you looking to move back to the UK in the New Year are you just looking for temp/contract work?

sounds very much of the same problem that SnapShot is having
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:12 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
as you looking to move back to the UK in the New Year are you just looking for temp/contract work?

Yes I'm just looking for something to help with the finance situation until we leave. it's harder as I have the little one who hasn't started school yet. Going to try waitressing on an evening. I was a counsellor at home. God only knows why I gave that one up! Chasing my dream I think. Thanks for help.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:33 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

have you looked at child minding? not sure of the legality side of it though.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:51 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I had a client ( a Russian immigrant) who got waitressing/catering work through an agency called Emplois. She seemed to get quite a few jobs in some good locations. Her background was marketing and she was looking for a career job.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Supermarket?....you could be a trolley girl!!

The only problem is (where I am anyway) is that the part time jobs in supermarkets are filled by students....who the supermarkets can pay what they like up until they are 16..(then they have to pay them min wage) and treat them like crap in the process.....
Old Aug 8th 2013, 12:08 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Oh no, Mrs F. That's not my problem as I don't even have an offer ! I got turned down for a job I was interviewed for last week. The good old, 'we have to consider how you would fit into the team' excuse.

The person turning me down told me that the boss was difficult. They didn't trust my conflict resolution skills. Basically, they didn't want me quitting when I found out just what, 'personality' (I put that in inverted commas as I'm being polite !) I was working for !

The job was for a specific amount of months on a part time basis. So, no great loss. I just feel I've been declined a job offer because of an incident that happened at work about five years ago.

The matter (a mini soap opera in it's own right, you know what work places are like ?!) was resolved and I followed the advice of my then boss after the fact. Happy days. However, because I was neutral towards the manager (on the advice from my boss) who had been rude to me, that wasn't good enough for this particular interview. The fact that the manager that had been rude and dismissive towards me never did (and had no intention to) say sorry is not considered. A report was written after a meeting which I attended with all 'interested parties' regarding my part in the matter went on my personnel file. You know, I really thought that was enough. I was asked if I wanted to take out a grievance regarding the matter, or give 180 feedback, or speak to, 'Employee Assistance', or have counselling. Yes I was that fed up about it.

Oh screw 'em !

Last edited by Snap Shot; Aug 8th 2013 at 12:19 pm. Reason: still griping
Old Aug 8th 2013, 9:58 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Oh no, Mrs F. That's not my problem as I don't even have an offer ! I got turned down for a job I was interviewed for last week. The good old, 'we have to consider how you would fit into the team' excuse.

The person turning me down told me that the boss was difficult. They didn't trust my conflict resolution skills. Basically, they didn't want me quitting when I found out just what, 'personality' (I put that in inverted commas as I'm being polite !) I was working for !

The job was for a specific amount of months on a part time basis. So, no great loss. I just feel I've been declined a job offer because of an incident that happened at work about five years ago.

The matter (a mini soap opera in it's own right, you know what work places are like ?!) was resolved and I followed the advice of my then boss after the fact. Happy days. However, because I was neutral towards the manager (on the advice from my boss) who had been rude to me, that wasn't good enough for this particular interview. The fact that the manager that had been rude and dismissive towards me never did (and had no intention to) say sorry is not considered. A report was written after a meeting which I attended with all 'interested parties' regarding my part in the matter went on my personnel file. You know, I really thought that was enough. I was asked if I wanted to take out a grievance regarding the matter, or give 180 feedback, or speak to, 'Employee Assistance', or have counselling. Yes I was that fed up about it.

Oh screw 'em !
Sorry to hear your still having trouble with the job hunt, hope you find something soon, it's not just you I have a couple of friends in the same position

Chin up
Old Aug 8th 2013, 11:53 pm
Looking for my marbles.

Oh screw 'em !

Oh snapshot sorry to hear about your situation. It's hard enough here without other things dragging you down. Could always come out busking with me can you sing? I can't but I can play a few tunes on my guitar if you can't sing.... Can you dance always comes in handy!

All jokes aside though good luck with the job hunt. Don't give up.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 11:56 pm
Looking for my marbles.

Originally Posted by pixiewink
Supermarket?....you could be a trolley girl!!

The only problem is (where I am anyway) is that the part time jobs in supermarkets are filled by students....who the supermarkets can pay what they like up until they are 16..(then they have to pay them min wage) and treat them like crap in the process.....
I think my days of passing for a 16 year old are long gone Pixiewink about 21 years ago. With all the worrying over here my grey hair is getting worse too I am a counsellor though. I could counsell the Brits who are in my situation. don't know how I would advertise that service though...
Old Aug 9th 2013, 12:58 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
Oh snapshot sorry to hear about your situation. It's hard enough here without other things dragging you down. Could always come out busking with me can you sing? I can't but I can play a few tunes on my guitar if you can't sing.... Can you dance always comes in handy!

All jokes aside though good luck with the job hunt. Don't give up.
Thank you pippa. Busking ? ok, I'll give it a shot: 'So good people draw near the entertainer is here and I'm the greatest for many a mile. I'll give you all a dance, some comedy, romance and I will demonstrate a magic trick or two. I'll juggle with my hat, become an acrobat, anything else you might like me to do. I do not charge a pound, just pass the hat around...

I suppose a piano is an inconvenient instrument for busking. I'll try and master playing the spoons. Maybe not during an interview for an office job.

Thanks for good luck wishes. No, I won't give up. I threaten to though. I'm waiting on the outcome of a job interview I had in Palmerston North last week. I'm also waiting on the outcome of a job interview I had on Wednesday.

Anyway, it's Friday isn't it ?

P.S. I'll be up your way in a few weeks, visiting the outlaws. Such fun. Well, Dairy Flat and Pakauranga anyway.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Aug 9th 2013 at 1:03 am.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 9:50 pm
Looking for my marbles.

Thank you pippa. Busking ? ok, I'll give it a shot: 'So good people draw near the entertainer is here and I'm the greatest for many a mile. I'll give you all a dance, some comedy, romance and I will demonstrate a magic trick or two. I'll juggle with my hat, become an acrobat, anything else you might like me to do. I do not charge a pound, just pass the hat around...

I suppose a piano is an inconvenient instrument for busking. I'll try and master playing the spoons. Maybe not during an interview for an office job.

Thanks for good luck wishes. No, I won't give up. I threaten to though. I'm waiting on the outcome of a job interview I had in Palmerston North last week. I'm also waiting on the outcome of a job interview I had on Wednesday.

Anyway, it's Friday isn't it ?

P.S. I'll be up your way in a few weeks, visiting the outlaws. Such fun. Well, Dairy Flat and Pakauranga anyway.

Your hired we will split the profits 50/50. . As Dell Boy from "Only Fools And Horses" says.... This time next year we will be millionaires!
Old Aug 11th 2013, 2:45 am

We could drive to the busking spot in a three wheeled car !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.