Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

My findings so far; pre-emigration

My findings so far; pre-emigration

Old Nov 14th 2012, 10:42 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My findings so far; pre-emigration

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
For me you've missed the human element from your plans. You can research all you like but you can't predict how you are going to feel when you arrive in a new land for good.

You might think you are prepared but the reality may be very different. We all come to NZ (& to this site) with our individual hopes, plans & baggage, which will affect our experiences of life here. Everyone's point of view is valid & frankly if I want to whinge on about the fact that I can't get double cream in NZ, I will. It doesn't affect my life on a daily basis but it's had a huge negative impact on my baking! Is that important to me? Yes it is

Some things I researched about NZ & they sounded absolutely wonderful, the reality was somewhat different & has had a huge impact on my life.

I hope it works out for you in NZ Tommyluck, even though you seem to think those of us who are here don't know what we are on about.
Double cream? You just whip up regular cream god I miss clotted cream though
Old Nov 14th 2012, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
My west country friend was saying just the same thing the other day - I then saw it in Mt Eden Nosh for the bargain price of $15 a jar. It must just be a process though and you could do it yourself?
Old Nov 14th 2012, 10:54 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone's point of view is valid & frankly if I want to whinge on about the fact that I can't get double cream in NZ, I will.
I was thinking about double cream and extra double cream the other day! I am going to eat lashings.

No, no you can't. Then you get whipped single cream, which if fine with a pudding but tricky to use to bake with.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 10:58 pm

No, no you can't. Then you get whipped single cream, which if fine with a pudding but tricky to use to bake with.[/QUOTE]

Oh thought it was the same thing lol I thought it would do the job when whipped?? But then I don't really bake with cream, just when whipped to make a Nigela cheesecake
Old Nov 14th 2012, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I was thinking about double cream and extra double cream the other day! I am going to eat lashings..

Mmmmm and proper cream teas
Old Nov 14th 2012, 11:09 pm

I was thinking about double cream and extra double cream the other day! I am going to eat lashings.

No, no you can't. Then you get whipped single cream, which if fine with a pudding but tricky to use to bake with.
Just looked it up I know I'm sad, and I'm glad to say double cream has more fat content, so I'm glad as my waistline would expand
Old Nov 15th 2012, 12:05 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Just looked it up I know I'm sad, and I'm glad to say double cream has more fat content, so I'm glad as my waistline would expand
Exactly; whisking does not add the all-important fat
Old Nov 15th 2012, 12:20 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly; whisking does not add the all-important fat
ah but but a quick wristy massage will leave the desired stuff "perky" (allegedly)

seriously, what is thickened cream then?

is it whipped up single with sugar or has it got more fat...?
Old Nov 15th 2012, 2:45 am
---

Originally Posted by lardyl
ah but but a quick wristy massage will leave the desired stuff "perky" (allegedly)

seriously, what is thickened cream then?

is it whipped up single with sugar or has it got more fat...?
NZ thickened cream is single cream, whipped with gelatine added. GELATINE- wtf?

You find gelatine in ice cream, cream and yoghurt here; weird-o-rama imo.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 3:27 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

lovelly, like jelly tip from our friends at Tip n Top.......

suppose it's better eating it than having injected in yer arse......like those poor thai "pretties" to make em look like they have an arse and hips. half the world wanting to lose their hips and half wanting to look more western.

and it's all down to cream......
Old Nov 15th 2012, 3:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Quite. Glad that you're on my wave-length BB . By law double cream has to have at least 48% fat content in the UK. The most I've found in NZ is 40% at Countdown with their budget brand.

The major difference other than taste, is the way in which it acts when whipped. The cream here doesn't whip properly for piping, so after a short time it starts to separate into curds & whey as you pipe. This means that I have to whip cream in small quantities when I'm making a large batch of profiteroles for instance. Pain in the proverbial when I'm making 100+ for a function.

I have also had to play around with the way I make ganache, as NZ cream doesn't heat up too well (starts to separate at boiling point). Hence the products I produce in my kitchen are inferior to those I produced in the UK.

Love30 - whilst you may not be bothered about double cream because of your waist-line, frankly to me it's about quality. A little of what you fancy is a good thing .

Perhaps everyone would like to email Fonterra for me. I tried a few years back & got a stinky email back from them

Having derailed the thread totally, can I mention the other huge problem with NZ for me please?

A total lack of HAMSTERS!

Life is not the same without them. And don't try & fob me off with another pet. Hamsters are the only pet I want.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 4:37 am
---

Perhaps everyone would like to email Fonterra for me. I tried a few years back & got a stinky email back from them
I did too but they ignored me

Having derailed the thread totally, can I mention the other huge problem with NZ for me please?

Life is not the same without them. And don't try & fob me off with another pet. Hamsters are the only pet I want.
Oh I feel your pain. We ended up getting rats because everyone said they were just like hamsters; they lied.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

Quite. Glad that you're on my wave-length BB . By law double cream has to have at least 48% fat content in the UK. The most I've found in NZ is 40% at Countdown with their budget brand.

The major difference other than taste, is the way in which it acts when whipped. The cream here doesn't whip properly for piping, so after a short time it starts to separate into curds & whey as you pipe. This means that I have to whip cream in small quantities when I'm making a large batch of profiteroles for instance. Pain in the proverbial when I'm making 100+ for a function.

I have also had to play around with the way I make ganache, as NZ cream doesn't heat up too well (starts to separate at boiling point). Hence the products I produce in my kitchen are inferior to those I produced in the UK.

Love30 - whilst you may not be bothered about double cream because of your waist-line, frankly to me it's about quality. A little of what you fancy is a good thing .

A friend of mine used to work for MAF, feeding the hamsters they keep for epidemology emergencies. They're kept in a double vaulted strong room, with no windows, and they loved getting attention from her.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janiejones
A friend of mine used to work for MAF, feeding the hamsters they keep for epidemology emergencies. They're kept in a double vaulted strong room, with no windows, and they loved getting attention from her.
Right I need a job with MAF & then I can free the hamsters . Poor little mites, they are very sociable when tame.

BB, you're quite right. Nothing else is quite like a hamster. The locals try & fob me off with Guinea pigs. The OH had a couple of them years ago & said they don't have the great personalities that hamsters do.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

Right I need a job with MAF & then I can free the hamsters . Poor little mites, they are very sociable when tame.

BB, you're quite right. Nothing else is quite like a hamster. The locals try & fob me off with Guinea pigs. The OH had a couple of them years ago & said they don't have the great personalities that hamsters do.
I didn't know that hamsters were illegal here, so when she started her sentence with "That time when I was working in the secure hamster facility" my face must have been a picture! When she explained the effect on the native animals, if one ever escaped, it made sense, but random, much?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.