Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

My findings so far; pre-emigration

My findings so far; pre-emigration

Old Nov 13th 2012, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default My findings so far; pre-emigration

The key thing I've learned from my time using this forum is that research is the key. Do everything you can to find out about it all, largely so you are not surprised by anything when you arrive.

Clearly, you can not find out every minute detail, but things like the cost of a car and fuel, the cost of a bicycle (if you cycle), the cost of furniture, costs relating to the health services, the cost of gyms, travel costs from NZ for flights/holidays ... are all stuff you can do yourself waaay before arriving in NZ. What's more you don't have to have been to NZ to find this stuff out, the internet is a wonderful thing.

Further to this, there must be a reason why one choses to move anywhere. Short of getting a blindingly good work offer our of nowhere, you must know people who either currently reside or have lived in NZ.

There must be people you can talk to, to ask questions, beyond a website?

So, I have no sympathy with people who whinge about these things. No one was hiding these costs from you. You just didn't think, or try hard enough to find out what they might be.

The cost of food shopping is high on the criticism agenda. To be honest it's blindingly obvious. It's simple economics. NZ is country with a low population for it's size. The land mass is remote, the towns are largely remote from each other. Therefore the cost of food will be higher, due to shipping costs and the costs of providing such goods.

Tesco, for example, can afford to by Oyster Bay en mass for a cut price because it has more people shopping in it's stores on a weekly basis than there are people in NZ.

Hell, Tesco's employs nigh on half a million people in the UK alone.

I really don't understand why people are surprised - whilst it should be noted and factored in by every person who is to emigrate to NZ that food is likely to be more expensive.

A suitable comparision is fuel costs when living in a remote part of the UK. Perhaps Cornwall or mid-Wales. Fuel is some of the most expensive in the country, but your insurance will be rock bottom because there's no one to have an accident with, or nick your motor. You have to note the balance, there isn't much difference overall.

Clearly, I'm still to actually live in NZ still, but in the meantime I'm doing everything to make sure no stone is unturned for my arrival.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 4:03 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My findings so far; pre-emigration

Hi Tommyluck,

Check out this blog: http://brokenluggage.wordpress.com/table-of-contents/

It's a blog written by a young couple from the USA. They sold all their possessions in the USA, went to NZ without jobs or accommodation in order to build a different sort of life. I've found it helpful, quite amusing in places and very balanced, which is important to me. It hasn't been updated for a while, I guess they ran out of things to say!
Old Nov 13th 2012, 8:59 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Oh. My. Word.

There's nothing so galling than a know-it-all who's yet to arrive. Should life not work out in perfect accord with your well researched plan, I shall be right here to remind you that you "have no sympathy with people who whinge about these things" and that I'll be sure to treat you with the same empathy as you're showing others.

I think you should change your username from TommyLuck to TommyKnowsItAll.

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
The key thing I've learned from my time using this forum is that research is the key. Do everything you can to find out about it all, largely so you are not surprised by anything when you arrive.
<snip>
What's more you don't have to have been to NZ to find this stuff out, the internet is a wonderful thing.
<snip>
So, I have no sympathy with people who whinge about these things. No one was hiding these costs from you. You just didn't think, or try hard enough to find out what they might be.
<snip>
I really don't understand why people are surprised - whilst it should be noted and factored in by every person who is to emigrate to NZ that food is likely to be more expensive.
<snip>
Clearly, I'm still to actually live in NZ still, but in the meantime I'm doing everything to make sure no stone is unturned for my arrival.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

You do that.

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail ...
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Hi Tommyluck,

It's a blog written by a young couple from the USA. They sold all their possessions in the USA, went to NZ without jobs or accommodation in order to build a different sort of life. I've found it helpful, quite amusing in places and very balanced, which is important to me. It hasn't been updated for a while, I guess they ran out of things to say!
Top blog

I agree on the amusement.

Also they're quite reasoned when discussing various matters, on the basis that it may not matter to you, but it matters to us.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:06 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

You do that.

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail ...
Eh? You make no sense and are talking in simplistic trite phrases about a very complex subject. People emigrate for all sorts of reasons and they both stay put and move on or return for complex reasons. I don't think 'failing' comes into it. I hope if you have kids that you don't present them with such a black-and-white, succeed-or-fail view of the world. It's a risky strategy.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not here for an argument.

You miss the point of my post. Which doesn't aim to discuss peoples reasons to emigrate. But questions why people are surprised by certain things about living in NZ, which would have easily been discovered, and therefore prepared for, had the necessary research been done.

You've made it abundantly clear you find me objectionable. Which is fine.

Thanks for the parenting tip.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:28 pm
---

Actually, your OP was an arrogant, smug damning of anyone who "fails" to adequately research and therefore "fails" at emigration. So it's easy to now say you aren't here for an argument, but if you write a post like that you must be prepared to be challenged by people who are annoyed.

Thanks for the parenting tip.
You're welcome.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:38 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Top blog

I agree on the amusement.

Also they're quite reasoned when discussing various matters, on the basis that it may not matter to you, but it matters to us.
Yep, enjoyed reading it today. I like to read balanced information about NZ (and anything else come to think of it). Unfortunately on here some people seem to have a bad experience(s) and tar the whole country because of it, resulting in negative and sometimes inaccurate views. Not just with NZ, this applies to other countries too.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm a forthright person, have been called arrogant several times before, which again is fine. I don't seek to be called arrogant, however if it's not too arrogant of me to say so, my perceived arrogance hasn't done much me harm.

I just don't a see why any of it bears whining about if one choosing to emigrate doesn't consider their options carefully?

It's one thing to say;

Food in NZ is more expensive than what you're used to, with less choice.

Than;

NZ is crap because there is no choice and is expensive.

The former is helpful and gives you information to consider carefully.

The latter, is firstly wholly subjective, and indicates that someone may not have been willing to reappraise their values and reasons for moving to NZ.

I would suggest that comparing any new nation to another nation that one is used to will disappoint. There is so much that will be alien.

In summary, isn't it possibly the case that people should seek to find out all of these things before they move, as opposed to being surprised and finding it a con, that takes another 6 months to get over?

Arrogant and smug, I may come across as, but I am trying to make sense of the fact that some people's derision is nonsensical.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:40 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

But they were - just look at the threads here where people argue that food bills are lower in NZ than in the UK. That's from people who have lived in both places. So it's not as cut and dried as you suggest. Take GST, doubt that many people planned on GST going up (when it did) and how that would impact on food bills. In the UK that would have no impact but in NZ it hit those on low incomes hard.

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Actually, your OP was an arrogant, smug damning of anyone who "fails" to adequately research and therefore "fails" at emigration. So it's easy to now say you aren't here for an argument, but if you write a post like that you must be prepared to be challenged by people who are annoyed. ....
BB you have it nailed m'lady.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

All the planning and researching in the world wont prepare you for the unexpected.

What if your car or house needs urgent repairs; you or your family need medical/dental attention; or worst of all, that dreaded phone call that necessitates you rushing back to your family on the othe side of the world?

Yes, do your research but also be prepared mentally and financially for the 'unknown' (or un-know-en) as the Kiwis say
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cappuccino
All the planning and researching in the world wont prepare you for the unexpected.

What if your car or house needs urgent repairs; you or your family need medical/dental attention; or worst of all, that dreaded phone call that necessitates you rushing back to your family on the othe side of the world?

Yes, do your research but also be prepared mentally and financially for the 'unknown' (or un-know-en) as the Kiwis say
Couldn't agree more. But that's no different to living anywhere in the world, is it?

I should probably give this up and become a lurker again, but the arrogance in me won't let me.

It's like people are taking personal offence. I'm not directing this at anyone in particular. It's simply an observation of an amalgamation of people's posts online and people's comments to me personally.

I've said it on here before, I'm not moving to NZ with the expectation of becoming a richer person. The costs of everyday living is factored in to this.

Most people emigrate because they believe "life"will be better for them, or it will provide them with a valuable life experience. But surely this requires a readjustment of values, for instance to take a simplistic view, NZ is not the place for you if you value material goods?
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Hi Tommyluck,

Thanks for this.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't agree more. But that's no different to living anywhere in the world, is it?

I should probably give this up and become a lurker again, but the arrogance in me won't let me.

It's like people are taking personal offence. I'm not directing this at anyone in particular. It's simply an observation of an amalgamation of people's posts online and people's comments to me personally.

I've said it on here before, I'm not moving to NZ with the expectation of becoming a richer person. The costs of everyday living is factored in to this.

Most people emigrate because they believe "life"will be better for them, or it will provide them with a valuable life experience. But surely this requires a readjustment of values, for instance to take a simplistic view, NZ is not the place for you if you value material goods?
The big difference is that we are 12000 miles away from the UK so that is a huge cost in airfare to get back. Not quite the same as moving to Spain or France and having to get back.

The other point Tommy for you personally (don't take this the wrong way) but you will have more of a 'security blanket' than most as you have already told us that you have a house and a car already waiting for you here, courtesy of your wife's inheritence. That will make life MUCH easier for you and your family as you will have more disposable income than most.

Unfortunately money, or lack of it, can make the whole exprience good or bad - yes, that is true anywhere but more so here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.