Reload this Page >

My findings so far; pre-emigration

My findings so far; pre-emigration

Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:26 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My findings so far; pre-emigration

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Oh. My. Word.

There's nothing so galling than a know-it-all who's yet to arrive. Should life not work out in perfect accord with your well researched plan, I shall be right here to remind you that you "have no sympathy with people who whinge about these things" and that I'll be sure to treat you with the same empathy as you're showing others.

I think you should change your username from TommyLuck to TommyKnowsItAll.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

You could start an Immigration Advisory Company where immigrants who have made the move ring up for advice and you completley patronise them, then do a follow up call a month later with some 'I Told You So' advice.

You could be onto something.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 1:12 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
The key thing I've learned from my time using this forum is that research is the key. Do everything you can to find out about it all, largely so you are not surprised by anything when you arrive.

Clearly, you can not find out every minute detail, but things like the cost of a car and fuel, the cost of a bicycle (if you cycle), the cost of furniture, costs relating to the health services, the cost of gyms, travel costs from NZ for flights/holidays ... are all stuff you can do yourself waaay before arriving in NZ. What's more you don't have to have been to NZ to find this stuff out, the internet is a wonderful thing.

Further to this, there must be a reason why one choses to move anywhere. Short of getting a blindingly good work offer our of nowhere, you must know people who either currently reside or have lived in NZ.

There must be people you can talk to, to ask questions, beyond a website?

So, I have no sympathy with people who whinge about these things. No one was hiding these costs from you. You just didn't think, or try hard enough to find out what they might be.

The cost of food shopping is high on the criticism agenda. To be honest it's blindingly obvious. It's simple economics. NZ is country with a low population for it's size. The land mass is remote, the towns are largely remote from each other. Therefore the cost of food will be higher, due to shipping costs and the costs of providing such goods.

Tesco, for example, can afford to by Oyster Bay en mass for a cut price because it has more people shopping in it's stores on a weekly basis than there are people in NZ.

Hell, Tesco's employs nigh on half a million people in the UK alone.

I really don't understand why people are surprised - whilst it should be noted and factored in by every person who is to emigrate to NZ that food is likely to be more expensive.

A suitable comparision is fuel costs when living in a remote part of the UK. Perhaps Cornwall or mid-Wales. Fuel is some of the most expensive in the country, but your insurance will be rock bottom because there's no one to have an accident with, or nick your motor. You have to note the balance, there isn't much difference overall.

Clearly, I'm still to actually live in NZ still, but in the meantime I'm doing everything to make sure no stone is unturned for my arrival.
Right, next time I plan on emigrating somewhere. I'll note to do research on every company in that country regarding their health care benefit packages that they might offer

Oh and I must research on the cost of order and delivery for shops such as Countdown, New World and Pak n Save for products such as lamb. Plus if there's too much supply of something, doesn't it usually result in offers??? How stupid of me to think of demand and supply, silly me

Whilst everywhere in the world is encouraging broadband to their people, oh little NZ isn't bothering. Now why didn't I think of that. Shouldn't have come here knowing i'd be paying 10 times the price of broadband than I did in the UK

Oh I must stop moaning, even though us Brits like a good old moan.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 1:36 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
You could start an Immigration Advisory Company where immigrants who have made the move ring up for advice and you completely patronise them, then do a follow up call a month later with some 'I Told You So' advice.

Mate !
You've made me more than giggle out loud.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

My oh my what an entertaining thread. I wasn't going to say anything but just cant help but jump in.

The key thing I've learned from my time using this forum is that research is the key. Do everything you can to find out about it all, largely so you are not surprised by anything when you arrive.
TommyLuck – you do have a point – research is important in most things in life. However variety is the spice of life as they say and if we all researched our decisions in life as much as you suggest I fear that most people wouldn’t leave their little bubbles (in the nicest way).

Clearly, you can not find out every minute detail, but things like the cost of a car and fuel, the cost of a bicycle (if you cycle), the cost of furniture, costs relating to the health services, the cost of gyms, travel costs from NZ for flights/holidays ... are all stuff you can do yourself waaay before arriving in NZ. What's more you don't have to have been to NZ to find this stuff out, the internet is a wonderful thing.

Phew your’re right – wow you could find all that out. That’s some hell of a research.

Further to this, there must be a reason why one choses to move anywhere. Short of getting a blindingly good work offer our of nowhere, you must know people who either currently reside or have lived in NZ.

Why? Actually – I had none of the above  Just happen to liked it here so thought I’d stay.

There must be people you can talk to, to ask questions, beyond a website?

No – not always

So, I have no sympathy with people who whinge about these things. No one was hiding these costs from you. You just didn't think, or try hard enough to find out what they might be.

Oh dear! I dearly hope you have thought of everything and didn’t leave anything to chance!

I really don't understand why people are surprised - whilst it should be noted and factored in by every person who is to emigrate to NZ that food is likely to be more expensive.

Nah – I probably spend about the same amount here as I did back in the UK. If not less as I don’t buy ready meals ever here. Just always seems like a lot of money but I eat seasonally MOST of the time and refuse to spend $4 on a capsicum

but your insurance will be rock bottom because there's no one to have an accident with, or nick your motor.

True for the first bit – 5 quid a week for 3rd party fire and theft. Bargain! 2nd………ummmm I think a lot will disagree with you there.

Clearly, I'm still to actually live in NZ still, but in the meantime I'm doing everything to make sure no stone is unturned for my arrival.

Good for you! I hope you manage to find some time for some fun things as well

Oh. My. Word.

There's nothing so galling than a know-it-all who's yet to arrive. Should life not work out in perfect accord with your well researched plan, I shall be right here to remind you that you "have no sympathy with people who whinge about these things" and that I'll be sure to treat you with the same empathy as you're showing others.

I think you should change your username from TommyLuck to TommyKnowsItAll.
You could start an Immigration Advisory Company where immigrants who have made the move ring up for advice and you completley patronise them, then do a follow up call a month later with some 'I Told You So' advice.

Old Nov 14th 2012, 2:09 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

That made me laugh
Old Nov 14th 2012, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Spot the joker, I hope you have considered all the cards that LadyLuck has to play in all of your best laid plans.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
Whilst everywhere in the world is encouraging broadband to their people, oh little NZ isn't bothering. Now why didn't I think of that.
Step back in time eight years ago when we were first looking for info there was next to bugger all available. Little ole NZ didn't even feature on BE as a destination in its own right. We would browse the pages for days on end to see if we could find any books, TV programmes, films or articles remotely related to NZ.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

crumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: My findings so far; pre-emigration

I just hope the miserable old bugger doesn't end up in our town! He will put the locals right off!
Or maybe he could tell us where we have all gone wrong????

Personally, the great big vertical learning curve that we call life and living, we love it!

I feel better now!

Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:53 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Eh? You make no sense and are talking in simplistic trite phrases about a very complex subject. People emigrate for all sorts of reasons and they both stay put and move on or return for complex reasons. I don't think 'failing' comes into it. I hope if you have kids that you don't present them with such a black-and-white, succeed-or-fail view of the world. It's a risky strategy.
Don't take the bait, my money is on him not coming. Watch out he could be a troll ! I think 50% of his posts are bullshit. (Though I've no idea which 50%)
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by crumpy10
I just hope the miserable old bugger doesn't end up in our town! He will put the locals right off!
Or maybe he could tell us where we have all gone wrong????
It's the way of the JAFA and I have said it before that if Tommyluck is for real, he will fit right on in. He has studied the bible of the JAFA in every aspect of JAFAdom from their historical beginnings to their mating habits, language, even dietary requirements. He will survive on the instincts of his inner JAFA, drive like a JAFA, dress like a JAFA, attract other JAFAs, raise little JAFAs and much, much more.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

crumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: My findings so far; pre-emigration

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Don't take the bait, my money is on him not coming. Watch out he could be a troll ! I think 50% of his posts are bullshit. (Though I've no idea which 50%)
Hahahaha! Very true.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
It's the way of the JAFA and I have said it before that if Tommyluck is for real, he will fit right on in. He has studied the bible of the JAFA in every aspect of JAFAdom from their historical beginnings to their mating habits, language, even dietary requirements. He will survive on the instincts of his inner JAFA, drive like a JAFA, dress like a JAFA, attract other JAFAs, raise little JAFAs and much, much more.
now now - scuse me but i must take a little bit of offence at that. not all of us are all bad.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

the way of the JAFA
Have you been reading a certain book by any chance ? - Jeff and Jenny Jafa!!!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly a few sore spots have been pressed upon, not my intention but there you go.

I'm just surprised at the simplicity of some of the things that people complain about on moving to another country. One can't just be expected to move somewhere and it be the same as it was before, but better.

This was never meant to be an arguement, now it's turned in to one I'm not going to win, life goes on [instert any other cliche here].

Still, I'll keep posting. Even the response to this thread has taught me a lot, even though only a couple of people have actually bothered to respond with anything sensible - thanks CAZ8NZ.

This place is gold;

There are plenty of people that use this website that could join me and it would have to be just an immigration service, we could branch out into all sorts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.