Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving interisland

Moving interisland

Old Apr 18th 2012, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold
Default Moving interisland

Hi there,

Was just wondering whether anyone has moved from North Island to South Island recently or the other way.

Just trying to weigh up the pro's and cons of moving to Christchurch versus staying in Auckland at the moment.

Thinking of costs etc and if anyone reccomends a good removals company.

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks
Old Apr 19th 2012, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving interisland

Looks like we're moving to Dunedin from Auckland.

It's been alright living in Auckland but the house prices and traveling times take the piss.

What I'm planning to do is take a little video walking around the house pointing out what exactly needs moving, then I'll upload it to youtube and email a link to it to every removal firm in Auckland and ask them to quote on it. I'll also make it obvious I've sent it to every removal firm so I don't get the usual quotes from firms wanting to rip me off.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
What I'm planning to do is take a little video walking around the house pointing out what exactly needs moving, then I'll upload it to youtube and email a link to it to every removal firm in Auckland and ask them to quote on it. I'll also make it obvious I've sent it to every removal firm so I don't get the usual quotes from firms wanting to rip me off.
I look forward to your subsequent post complaining how no removal firms could be bothered giving you a quote. ;-)
Old Apr 19th 2012, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
I look forward to your subsequent post complaining how no removal firms could be bothered giving you a quote. ;-)
It's got to be easier than traveling out to walk round the house seeing the same stuff as the video shows.

It's the future.

But maybe with it being still 1984 in most parts of NZ they'll not know what youtube is, they might never have seen a moving colour picture and they'll just dream a quote up using as many zero's as they can be arsed to write. Because that's how they've always done it and that's how they'll continue to do it. Change is bad.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 2:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZGrl
Hi there,

Was just wondering whether anyone has moved from North Island to South Island recently or the other way.

Just trying to weigh up the pro's and cons of moving to Christchurch versus staying in Auckland at the moment.

Thinking of costs etc and if anyone reccomends a good removals company.

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks
I don't want to put a dampener (sp) on your plans but back in Feb I was speaking to a few insurance assessors who live & work in ChCh. They were rather horrified that some people were planning to move to the City, due to the lack of accommodation available & significant problems with the infrastructure etc.
Just food for thought. OH is down there every week at the mo & sees the problems first-hand.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:33 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be interested in approx. costs too thanks.