Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Going to make an offer

Going to make an offer

Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:26 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Going to make an offer

on a house in a few hours, how much stress is this causing me and how am I.

all goes well and nothing is amiss when we get the builders report
Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:31 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to make an offer

Oooooh! How exciting!!! Best of luck!!
Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:35 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kija
Oooooh! How exciting!!! Best of luck!!
Thanks, waiting on a few calls to get things in place and then the offer will be going in.

Still need you on FB so we can arrange a coffee for next week.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 8:13 am

O M G what a stressful hour the last one has been.

Agent round to sign offer papers and then told he needs to "call interest" for an hour, which gives other buyers the chance to put offers in. and this is all before agent takes the offer to the seller.

He's just left, so now we just have to wait to see what seller things to the offer.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 9:30 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about the "call interest" thing. I thought once you'd signed the offer it was "under offer".
Still, at least the agent is acting for the people payibg his wages. Wouldn't it be nice if there were consistent rules the vultures all followed.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

crumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: Going to make an offer

Good luck Mrs F! I hope it works out for you

Anna
Old Apr 19th 2012, 9:59 am

well he's been back with a counter offer, which we want to counter again but now husband is out so can't initial our counter offer so alls stopped until tomorrow morning.
Least we know that no one else has "interest" on the property, so no one else can go and make an offer.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 10:11 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, you are now in a Dutch auction if you allow that "calling interest" - and this isnt right at all - they should present your offer to the seller immediately on its own merits, no ringing round, you are not in an auction!

An offer, once accepted, locks out any other offers, in future get the agent to present your offer immediately, if necessary time-limit it in writing on the offer (ie write "this offer to be considered withdrawn if not physically presented by xx:yy to the vendor), and threaten to inform the vendor directly that you have made an offer (but dont specify the figure), then he will make darned sure he gets it asap.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 10:23 am

that's very interesting. being a newbie just thought "calling interest" was the way it was here.
this agent does seem to do this with all his offers as we did look at another property with him then he called telling us some one had "called interest" on it and we had an hour to decide if we wanted to offer, which we didn't. Made be its a Professional thing as all the other agents didn't seem fazed by him calling.

Oh well roll on tomorrow and back to negotiations
Old Apr 19th 2012, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I've never heard of it either but don't worry.
No one else can make an offer now, no gazumping, thank goodness.

When I bought my first home, I got loads of support from the real estate section of the Trademe message boards.
They were a godsend. Especially around the tricky stuff.
There are some really experienced people on their - you just have to put up with them being a bit superior at times but well worth sucking it in for the excellent advice!

You can find it here Trade Me real estate message board

Good Luck!
Old Apr 19th 2012, 7:00 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

I've never heard of this "calling interest" thing either!

Sounds to me like this estate agent is trying to get you suckers to get into a bidding war, and hence make him more commission.

Don't get me started on estate agents - I have so many stories about those low lifes!!!!!

If I were you I'd firstly tell him that he's just the agent - get your offer to the seller NOW and if he can't then the next call you make is to the estate agents body to complain about his conduct and the next call after that is to 'Fair Go'.

I hates 'em - ooooh they make me sooooooo MAD

Best of luck by the way
Old Apr 19th 2012, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Mrs F xx
Old Apr 19th 2012, 8:56 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

This "calling interest" is not something I've heard of before and certainly not common practice in NZ.

However, I suspect that if you complained, the agent would just claim that he was acting in the vendor's best interest by working to get the best possible price.

Its worth remembering that an "Estate Agent" is not just a go-between. He/she is working for, and paid by, the vendor, NOT the buyer.

Last edited by NakiMan; Apr 19th 2012 at 8:58 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 9:16 pm

Oh ok well perhaps its something that is just quirky to this agents company.

So agent here this morning at 08.30, 3rd additional offer declined, they countered and we agreed.
So mortgage valuation and builders reports are now the next stage.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 9:39 pm

just spoken to my Solicitor and she says the "calling of interest" just seems to be particular to this one agency.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.