Reload this Page >

moving to Dunedin New Zealand

moving to Dunedin New Zealand

Old Dec 22nd 2018, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Tamy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to Dunedin New Zealand

hello,

I might move to Dunedin in New Zealand (because of a job offer) and I was wondering whether you could tell me about how life is there. what are your experiences?

I know it is quite isolated but is living in Dunedin easy and can you easily make friends? are there interesting cultural events? opportunities to hang out with people?

I am beginning 40s and have quite an international experience but have never lived in New Zealand before

I would love to hear from you,

T.
Old Dec 23rd 2018, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Dunedin New Zealand

Culture and new Zealand are not usually words uttered in the same sentence. There is culture here but it's generally Maori centred as that's where the money is
As with anywhere people are people, if you are friendly they will i usually respond in kind. I live an hour outside of dunners, I go in to shop. I couldn't live there, it's not my kind of place but I work with many who do and love it. There's a massive student community and all the joys that that brings. A fairly compact centre (the octogan) for bars etc. There are beaches, wildlife and you are only an hour or so from central Otago, which is every visitor to new Zealand #1 destination and where the adventurous come to holiday.
Old Dec 25th 2018, 7:14 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Dunedin New Zealand

My understanding of any culture in Dunedin is mainly student orientated. We have visited once, has a pretty train station and as Col says The Octagon, which we got complete lost in in the car trying to find somewhere to park, is quite the Cafe culture scene, from what I can remember. Average temps are of 15°C (58°F) January and the coldest is July at 8°C (46°F) with the most daily sunshine hours at 7 in July. more in here: https://weatherspark.com/y/144811/Av...and-Year-Round