Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Christchurch end of September

Moving to Christchurch end of September

Old Sep 4th 2013, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

graham from yorkshire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Christchurch end of September

Hi. I'm coming to Christchurch end of September as a glazier, on the skills shortage list.
Partner and two daughters coming two months after.
Is it easy to find accomodation, where is a good place to live.
As I will be on my own, I would like to be near a good pub. Lol
Old Sep 4th 2013, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Christchurch end of September

Hi Graham and welcome. There are a few threads on here with info about ChCh.

Generally, accommodation can be quite difficult to find - you will find 30 or more people going after the same property, which is leading to some offering over the advertised rent to try and secure a property. I have lost count of the number of houses my son and his friends have applied for and been unsuccessful, despite being in well paid jobs.
Housing stock in the eastern suburbs is more likely to still have damage from the quakes. However, I live in Parklands and like the area.
You will need to be here really to secure somewhere to live - have your employers got you somewhere to live temporarily?
As you are on your own, I'm thinking Addington or Riccarton would probably suit you, with a number of bars although the nearest to a pub that I have been in is the Miller Bar on Lincoln Road in Addington. I'm sure someone else will be on here soon with recommendations .
What age are the children - if school age, that will need to be a consideration too.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: October 2013 Arrivals and Departures

Well. Had a right good party last night to see all my mates.
Can't believe how quick time has passed.
Long flight next Wednesday. Hope it's all worth it
Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:29 pm
BE Currency Exchange Vendor

Lloyd.B is just really niceLloyd.B is just really niceLloyd.B is just really niceLloyd.B is just really niceLloyd.B is just really niceLloyd.B is just really niceLloyd.B is just really niceLloyd.B is just really nice
Default Re: October 2013 Arrivals and Departures

Good luck to all the October movers! Not long now and you'll be leaving the ever lasting winter of the UK behind! Slightly jealous I must admit!

Lloyd
Old Oct 9th 2013, 3:31 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Good pub, plenty around.. My favourite is the Harewood Tavern or my local as they do Edringer and Guinness (proper Guinness, not the English watered down stiff)

Places to rent is tough.. Bit about the rents on here in the Press. http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/bus...est-in-country. There's a bit of a lack of decent rentals because of the quake. Of course Gerry Brownlee will say the opposite but after a few months, you'll understand he talks non stop rubbish

Forecast looks rubbish for the next few days so you'll be arriving around the wet season. October generally can be a bit on the wet side, November is inconsistent and then December through to March can be either boiling or rainy.

Now as your from yorkshire, can you please clarify that the city of Dull is in Humberside and that there is no such county as East Yorkshire. There is only North Yorkshire, South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire, no such thing as East Yorkshire and Humberside has nothing to do with the county. If you're from there, apologies if i've offended you

Happy travels next week.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Tom, I believe the city on the humber that supports John Prescotts lard addiction, is actually pronounced Hell*. (*no serious offence intended).
Old Oct 9th 2013, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Leaving for New Brighton Christchurch today from Dull Hell Hull.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Come on the Tigers!
Old Oct 19th 2013, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

MrsD70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey how did the move go and what's it like
Old Oct 19th 2013, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsD70
Hey how did the move go and what's it like
New Brighton is a right dump, but there are some nice places west of the city
Old Oct 19th 2013, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

MrsD70 is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband has a job offer in Christchurch we are just waiting on emigrations.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 7:56 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourself over to Avonhead, Burnside much nicer
Monteiths Brewery Bar on Merrin Street happy hour 4-6pm real pints of beer $5