Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Auckland

Moving to Auckland

Old Jan 21st 2013, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Auckland

For those still in denial - check this out:

http://qz.com/45643/new-zealand-has-...ousing-crisis/

I think that sums it up.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
For those still in denial - check this out:

http://qz.com/45643/new-zealand-has-...ousing-crisis/

I think that sums it up.
A decent piece that.

Ah well, while the minority are out there willing to buy property at current values, prices aren't going to go down. It's all relative.

Probably time some people accepted that and stopped whinging.

Also;

"NZ has an enormous amount of uninhabited land".

A lot of which in uninhabitable.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck

Probably time some people accepted that and stopped whinging.
Am trying....!!! In fact, I have now accepted it, its just nice to wallow in the struggle sometimes . The truth is that I do not feel I can achieve what I want to here, so I either aim lower or look/move elsewhere.

Still - a good article.

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; Jan 22nd 2013 at 12:02 am. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old Jan 21st 2013, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't having a go a you, or anyone in particular, the same problem is occurring in many parts of the world, the teeny tiny wealthy minority snapping up properties with gay abandon. The rich get richer, etc.

A genuinely good article
Old Jan 21st 2013, 11:21 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Latest news on housing costs in NZ

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post...y-unaffordable
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:19 am
Just Joined

jason_hk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

There has been plenty of replies, suggestions, comments and shared experiences from all of you. It's all very much appreciated, the positives/ negatives of housing affordability, good areas, etc.

I don't see myself spending the rest of my life in Auckland, maybe the next couple of years (but never say never), so am just looking to rent for the time being, enjoy my time in NZ and see how it goes! As is with many things, everyone will experience things differently.

Am just finalising visas, etc at the moment. Hope I'll make it to NZ in time for the cricket! If anyone fancies, I'll be up for a couple of pints as we talk more over housing in NZ!

Thank again!!
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

I said on here last week, if you arent on the property ladder, without inheritance and/or help from wealthy parents, getting on the property ladder of your own accord is very tough indeed.

I'm fortunate that my OH is an inheritance beneficiary. My elder sister 'benefitted' from compensation from a car accident that nearly took her life, but lives practically mortgage free. My younger brother and sister have no chance as it stands and as kids, we stand to inherit very little from our parents.

Gawd knows how the next generation is going to fare!!

Definitely worth considering investing in a house for life, that can house3 or 4 adults in 30 years time, the kid/s might still be living at home out of necessity!!

Last edited by TommyLuck; Jan 22nd 2013 at 8:49 am.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Gawd knows how the next generation is going to fare!!

Definitely worth considering investing in a house for life, that can house3 or 4 adults in 30 years time, the kid/s might still be living at home out of necessity!!
That reminds me of this advert on tv here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPdMiMtoTWA&sns=em
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

chris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nice

Originally Posted by cappuccino
That reminds me of this advert on tv here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPdMiMtoTWA&sns=em
One of the better (and quite insightful) adverts on NZ telly.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

I found this interesting;

"Q: How does your standard of living in New Zealand compare with your previous country?

A: Infinitely better. I can’t understand how people don’t live better than in the UK. EVERYTHING is cheaper. My weekly shop price has been slashed in half, fuel is cheaper, rent is cheaper. There’s too many people on these reviews writing contrary to this – I can’t work out how they’re spending their money.
"

http://www.enz.org/ms-moving-to-auckland.html

Particularly the last sentence.

This, in the grand scheme of things is a mere shred of evidence that goes against the contrary belief that New Zealand is expensive.

Which got me thinking;

This guy was only 26 when he wrote his review in 2009. Prices haven't markedly gone up in NZ in those 3 years.

Could it simply be that, NZ is percieved as more expensive by ex-pats because one might move to NZ at a time when life would get more expensive anyway -- Kids getting older might be one example. Work is another, this guy seems pretty happy with at 80k he terms as a 'well paid job'.

Do we tend to blame NZ for being expensive forgetting the fact that life would've got more expensive if one hadn't emigrated anyway?

I just wonder why the general concensus is that it's more expensive, and then pockets of people "can’t work out how they’re (others) spending their money."
Old Jan 28th 2013, 5:17 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

I found this interesting;

"Q: How does your standard of living in New Zealand compare with your previous country?

A: Infinitely better. I can’t understand how people don’t live better than in the UK. EVERYTHING is cheaper. My weekly shop price has been slashed in half, fuel is cheaper, rent is cheaper. There’s too many people on these reviews writing contrary to this – I can’t work out how they’re spending their money.
"

http://www.enz.org/ms-moving-to-auckland.html

Particularly the last sentence.

This, in the grand scheme of things is a mere shred of evidence that goes against the contrary belief that New Zealand is expensive.

Which got me thinking;

This guy was only 26 when he wrote his review in 2009. Prices haven't markedly gone up in NZ in those 3 years.

Could it simply be that, NZ is percieved as more expensive by ex-pats because one might move to NZ at a time when life would get more expensive anyway -- Kids getting older might be one example. Work is another, this guy seems pretty happy with at 80k he terms as a 'well paid job'.

Do we tend to blame NZ for being expensive forgetting the fact that life would've got more expensive if one hadn't emigrated anyway?

I just wonder why the general concensus is that it's more expensive, and then pockets of people "can’t work out how they’re (others) spending their money."
I agree with your point, most peoples baseline for comparison will tend to age so only prices increases in the new country become part of the experiences that are being compared for instance. I'm sure the comment about the cost of children is valid too.

Equally his experience is his experience, he has moved from London so well placed to have an expensive baseline and clearly has landed himself a good-value rental at $220/wk. i cant rationalise his weekly shop being cut in half but maybe there is also some lifestyle change in there - eating out more maybe??

He does mention the reduced choice and happily trades it for the greater opportunities here so he clearly has a balanced view of life in an area many expats stumble on....
Old Jan 28th 2013, 5:44 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends on where you come from in the UK. I've lived in Bournemouth and London so since coming to Christchurch I have been wondering where this high cost of living is hiding! Perhaps it applies more to Auckland and Wellington because I really haven't found it as bad as what people are making out.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

I find food shopping here the same or even cheaper than the UK. Certainly the quality of meat we get is far superior than the stuff we used to get at Tesco's. Morrisons had a much higher quality of meat than Tesco, probably due to the butcher in-store, but certainly not as high quality as the chicken and steak we get here. Having lived here, if we ever go back to the UK to live, we will never shop in Tesco's again, in fact we'll stick to the local butcher and morrisons.

Back to cost of living, its just really the housing situation in Auckland that is the problem. Sure, clothing and other things that we take for granted in the UK are expensive here. I.e... I went to buy some WD40 the other day, a small bottle of it (spray stuff) was $14 in Countdown - thats 7 quid aat present. Maybe prices have gone up at home, but I was able to buy the same bottle in Wilkinsons for 2 quid in mid-2011.

More on housing, I took a photo of an article that was in the Herald last week - its attached. Suggest any of you thinking of moving to Auckland with the impression that its cheaper here take a read.

We have worked out what we're going to do, but it largely follows what barnsleymat has said in various threads.

Additionally:
Here are 2 articles that are in the Herald today, but I suggest you read the attached screenshot first.

1) http://www.nzherald.co.nz/property/n...ectid=10861958
2) http://www.nzherald.co.nz/property/n...ectid=10861958
Attached Thumbnails Moving to Auckland-herald_article.jpg  

Last edited by davros1984; Jan 28th 2013 at 8:05 pm. Reason: Additional Links.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 8:29 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly the quality of meat we get is far superior than the stuff we used to get at Tesco's.
Less horse content here too!
Old Jan 28th 2013, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

We have worked out what we're going to do, but it largely follows what barnsleymat has said in various threads.
I'm interested to know what I've said

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.