Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Auckland

Moving to Auckland

Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Auckland

Originally Posted by davros1984
I find food shopping here the same or even cheaper than the UK. Certainly the quality of meat we get is far superior than the stuff we used to get at Tesco's. Morrisons had a much higher quality of meat than Tesco, probably due to the butcher in-store, but certainly not as high quality as the chicken and steak we get here. Having lived here, if we ever go back to the UK to live, we will never shop in Tesco's again, in fact we'll stick to the local butcher and morrisons.
Yeah, I think overall food and grocery shopping comes out about equal. A couple of years ago a compared a months shopping between 3 countries, Aus, NZ and the UK. Aus was the most expensive, then NZ, then the UK. But there wasn't much in it and would depend on what you bought. Prices have definitely been going upwards in the UK too.

Where the UK was cheap was the specials that Tesco would have on things like nappies (2 for 1) or baby wipes (3 packs for 3.99 sort of thing). If you stocked up on these you could save a bit of money.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
I'm interested to know what I've said
A number of things, the key things are:

1) You got out of Auckland - got out for the very reason that all the properties are a frigging rip off
2) If you're not able to put down roots (buy a house etc), nice weather and beaches don't make up for the bad stuff
3) It's the reason why so many kiwi's live in houses that are no better than a pig shed.
4) Kingsland is like most areas of London pre 1666 before the great fire of London destroyed 1000's of run down wooden buildings
Old Jan 29th 2013, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

1) You got out of Auckland - got out for the very reason that all the properties are a frigging rip off
2) If you're not able to put down roots (buy a house etc), nice weather and beaches don't make up for the bad stuff
3) It's the reason why so many kiwi's live in houses that are no better than a pig shed.
4) Kingsland is like most areas of London pre 1666 before the great fire of London destroyed 1000's of run down wooden buildings
HAHAHA, someone finally listens to me!

It's all true by the way.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
I just wonder why the general concensus is that it's more expensive, and then pockets of people "can’t work out how they’re (others) spending their money."
'Tom' from 2006 was clearly a singleton geyser with only himself to keep, earning $80k per annum was on a pretty good crack then. With rent in Auckland at $280pw I would suggest he was flatting and not having a family to house, feed and keep. Our first rental in 2005 was $385pw for a weeny two bedroom townhouse style unit - which at that time was one of the cheapest places.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
HAHAHA, someone finally listens to me!

It's all true by the way.
Glad I made your day. Its not often I agree with others, in this case.... I can. There is the odd bargain house about, we looked at a lovely 3-bed house on the shore which had offers starting at $415K. It really was nice and I could have seen us living there, however.... in the case of 10 minutes at least 100 couples viewed it. Who knows what it'd end up selling for.

Its highly unlikely we will buy here as we're not sure we want to spend the rest of our lives here!
Old Jan 29th 2013, 6:51 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Well you buy and sell in the same market so of itself, if you think it is a rip off, don't worry, you'll rip your buyer off when you sell it (all things being equal).

See 1

See 1

So don't live there.

See, easy as (tongue in cheek except point 1)