moving

Old Aug 13th 2007, 10:01 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving

... oh and all the packers will professionally pack that end, help unpack this end and remove rubbish and packing materials - its a standard service.

You can't avoid a MAF inspection. MAF choose which containers they want to inspect and which items they want to see so it's a bit pot luck with that one whether yours will be chosen on not. As long as everything you pack, garden items, tools, bikes, golf clubs, camping stuff, whatever, is all pressure washed and cleaned in something like Jeyes Fluid you should be ok should you get selected by MAF for inspection. Just make sure there's no mud, dirt, dust, seeds, cobwebs, dried flowers, fir cones (check xmas decs), and no food items, tinned, dried or otherwise, no solvents, liquids etc. If MAF aren't happy with an item they will charge you for cleaning/fumigation. If you've made no attempt to clean anything and prohibited items are apparent you will be charged for complete fumigation of the container or they could refuse it completely. Though that is extreme!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

pauliz will become famous soon enoughpauliz will become famous soon enough

Thanks TeamEmbofor the tips
like AmLoolah said "Confused I will be"! Dont know what to do with the wardrobes now,should they go or should they stay? Help,anyone, advice please.Maybe Ill buy some flat packed ones from Ikea
Which areas have and which havent,? which houses have and which havent?
Looks like I might need a bigger container as I was planning on a 20 foot one but Im bringing a car over.
Has anyone brought over a car? More advice please?
Oh Im off to bed,cant take anymore confusion ,maybe it will get sorted in my head whilst Im sleeping

liz
Old Aug 14th 2007, 3:40 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Anything you buy new, take out of the boxes, hopefully that way it won't get held up in customs.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:34 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

yep, that's one way but you also have to make sure your packers don't list it as 'new washing machine' or whatever.

Liz, if you're bringing a car over I think you'll definitely need a bigger container! Some companies will build a 'shelf' over the car to stack boxes. I know several other people have posted on here their experiences of bringing over cars. Personally I wouldn't unless your car is rare or collectable, and again I think there are restrictions as far as customs in that, I think but am not sure, you have to have owned the car for 3 years(?) or something to avoid import duty. Maybe if you search you will find the appropriate threads or you could post a new one? And as for the wardrobes, if you've got enough room, bring em!
Old Aug 14th 2007, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

scharlonie will become famous soon enoughscharlonie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by pauliz
Thanks TeamEmbofor the tips
like AmLoolah said "Confused I will be"! Dont know what to do with the wardrobes now,should they go or should they stay? Help,anyone, advice please.Maybe Ill buy some flat packed ones from Ikea
Which areas have and which havent,? which houses have and which havent?
Looks like I might need a bigger container as I was planning on a 20 foot one but Im bringing a car over.
Has anyone brought over a car? More advice please?
Oh Im off to bed,cant take anymore confusion ,maybe it will get sorted in my head whilst Im sleeping

liz
if you are having a big enough container i would take them, cause if you get a house without wardrobes you'll be kicking yourself. Im thinking of bringing a car so just checking whats required, however im not sure on the MAF inspection, how do you get dirt off cars!!!!!!! Ill let you know if i find anything out.
Packers that come and do it all for you are a great idea, and quicker than you doing it yourself, thats my view anyway, just got to look at the cost. Will let you know my estimate when i get it.
Hope the nights sleep sorted the head out, mine doesn't it just puts new thoughts there AArrgghhh
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:44 am
TeamEmbo

Originally Posted by scharlonie
if you are having a big enough container i would take them, cause if you get a house without wardrobes you'll be kicking yourself. Im thinking of bringing a car so just checking whats required, however im not sure on the MAF inspection, how do you get dirt off cars!!!!!!! Ill let you know if i find anything out.
Packers that come and do it all for you are a great idea, and quicker than you doing it yourself, thats my view anyway, just got to look at the cost. Will let you know my estimate when i get it.
Hope the nights sleep sorted the head out, mine doesn't it just puts new thoughts there AArrgghhh
I don't think you'd get insurance for your stuff if you pack it yourself ; it has to be professionally packed and they take care of the paperwork for customs and MAF too. A lot of people find it cheaper to insure with a separate company to the removal companies, such as Letton Percival.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

mark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant future

Hi,
I've got Crown here packing as I post and they have just started on the kitchen. We have been told we have an excess - just over a 20 ft container. The packers have told me we can decide at the end which boxes to leave if they won't fit in. They can then go as part of a group container if we decide on that option. I'm just hoping it will at fit in so we don't have to decide.
I have to say the last few days have been very busy. We have tipped loads of junk, got a huge pile for a car boot sale, given lots away and I still have a car load of things that can't come with us. We have also scrubbed and disinfected all the outdoor stuff. The ensuite is stuffed with our luggage with instructions not to pack.
The kids have moved to the in laws already and that's were we will all be by Thursday which is completion day on the house.
I have rehomed my 2 cats (to different people as they weren't friends!) - one hated the kids and has settled with his new owners very well. The other cat is a little unsettled with her new home but she has only been there a few days. We know the people who have the cats and I have already been sent photos and updates which helps reassure me they are OK and takes away the guilty feelings of leaving them.
We have booked flights for 27th September with Air New Zealand and have been informed the luggage allowance is 23 kg per bag and that each passenger can have 2 bags. That makes a whopping 184 kg of checked baggage for our family so I think we will be OK with that!
So all systems go. I'm not sure what to feel right now. My 4 year old son is not happy and wants to "come home" from Grandma's so that is difficult to explain. Hopefully once we are all living there he will be happier.
We have 6 weeks left in the UK. I still have to work a few weeks as does hubby. We didn't dare hand our notice in until we had visas and we had a hold up with those. I'm sure the time will fly by as we have lots of people to see and places we want to visit.
It's real now - OMG!!!
I think that sums up how I feel!
Kim
Old Aug 14th 2007, 10:26 am
TeamEmbo

Weird feeling isn't it? I remember it well! Makes it all kind of final and real and even if I did change my mind mid-packing I wouldn't have had the strength of energy to undo all the stuff that would need doing not to go, if you know what I mean , but I was also excited at the same time knowing we'd soon be on our way.

Hope all goes well with your last few weeks. Mandie xx
Old Aug 14th 2007, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hi everyone,
didnt get a good nights sleep as Ive been going over "stuff" in my head until 4am, then I was up at 630 and needed to have a bright cheery face for my patients.Tried counting sheep but that just reinforced what I needed to go over!
Ive got a quote with Britannia for a 20 foot container plus car which is £3253.My car is very low so it should fit all the stuff I need to take, minus the wardrobes though.Its £3091 without the car.I asked about cleaning the car too, as I thought if I drive it to the depot its going to get mucky!They will clean it before its put into the container,phew! Removal Co have quoted £3485 for 20ft container and car.
BUT im still in a dilemma about these !*!!****! wardrobes,what can I sacrifice?Im only taking a suite ,dining furniture,and a bookcase as major furniture oh and a little lamp table,plus 60 boxes,maybe I can pack stuff in the boot of the car and safe space which would be all of one box.
Hey Kim and Mark youre really organised,can I have some of what youve been having I need to start my new job in Tauranga on the 1st October, Im working until the 14th Sept here, havent got visas so havent booked flights or the container yet.Still have one car to sell and the house oh and the cats to sort out
Am I worried? well what do you all think.:curse:
liz
Old Aug 14th 2007, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Oh just thought since my last post it, I havent reckoned for a washing machine and I might buy a new fridge and freezer too as all my appliances are integrated.What are the prices of fridges and freezers over there?Would it be cheaper to buy them here or there? but then again I have to weigh up extra cost for a bigger container which is another £800.
It isnt simple is it? Should I go or should I stay???/
Old Aug 14th 2007, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

mark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant future

Hey Kim and Mark youre really organised,can I have some of what youve been having I need to start my new job in Tauranga on the 1st October, Im working until the 14th Sept here, havent got visas so havent booked flights or the container yet.Still have one car to sell and the house oh and the cats to sort out
Am I worried? well what do you all think.:curse:
liz
Haribo Tangtastic (well that's todays munchies). Can I get them in NZ I wonder?
Crown have just left and I really can't see how our stuff will fit in the 20ft container. They have been packing all day and are about halfway through and there seem to be an awful lots of boxes and oddly shaped packages. They have taken the packed stuff away and will load the container at the depot. We need to shrink the rest of our stuff overnight - any ideas?
Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

How many boxes have they packed? Maybe you could sneak a few HAribo Tangtastic wholesale boxes in as well just to keep you going whilst unpacking at the other end.Where are you off to?

Well hubby says Im good at shrinking his jeans, nowt to do with the fact hes no longer a spring chicken and his waistline has expanded
Have you a contingency plan for if you cant fit everything in?

Half my colleagues at work thought they could sneak into the container and be half the size when the land in NZ, maybe thats what happens to all the boxes when theyre loaded!Good luck for tomorrow
Liz
Old Aug 15th 2007, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

scharlonie will become famous soon enoughscharlonie will become famous soon enough

Hi to you all, Well, I've got a major headache from phoning airlines to check baggage excess. Emirates are the best so far, They allow 40 kgs each (In two cases) for people mad enough to want a better life somewhere else, just have to fax over the visa to show we are genuine emmigrators. Singapore allow 25kg and you just have to show your passport when you book in, less hassle but that extra 15kg may come in handy when trying to pack the kids christmas pressies from nannies.:
Have just had the confirmation on the house sale, so now need to seriously think about living with the parents, oh my god havent done that for nearly 20 years, it might send me over the edge.
Pauliz i dont know how you are going to fit everything in, you must be wonderwoman, we dont go until January and OH is flapping about containers, jobs, we havent had the visa back yet though so you never know they might change their minds.
Got the estimator coming on Fri so with the amount of crap we've got we might have some spae room, think we may need a 40ft one, especially when family want to come as well.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

all these lucky people selling there houses please send me some of that karma.
Wonderwoman me?Well I like to think so but my body tells me differently
Didnt I read a post somewhere that NZ airlines allow two 23kg suitcases ,that would give you 46kg each Sharlonie, certainly enough for the kiddies Chrissy pressies, but is Xmas in a different month in NZ as I thought you said you are going in January

liz
Old Aug 15th 2007, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

How many boxes have they packed? Maybe you could sneak a few HAribo Tangtastic wholesale boxes in as well just to keep you going whilst unpacking at the other end.Where are you off to?

Well hubby says Im good at shrinking his jeans, nowt to do with the fact hes no longer a spring chicken and his waistline has expanded
Have you a contingency plan for if you cant fit everything in?

Half my colleagues at work thought they could sneak into the container and be half the size when the land in NZ, maybe thats what happens to all the boxes when theyre loaded!Good luck for tomorrow
Liz
Our packing seems to have gone well. They guys left today having packed 170 packages confidently saying it will fit into the 20ft container (they are packing the container at the depot). Our stuff includes:
Dining room suit - table, 6 chairs, 2 units
Conservatory furniture - 2 sofas, coffee table, chest of drawers
2 leather sofas
Office desk and chair and shelving unit
Bedroom suite - double bed, bedside cabinets, dressing table, chest of drawers, tall chest of drawers, triple wardrobe
Kids bedroom furniture - beds, drawers, bookcases
2 adult bikes and lots of kids toys
Camping gear
And lots boxes containing clothes, cds, books, photos, kitchen stuff
Oh - forgot they also put in the dishwasher, washer and dryer
Seems like a lots fits in after all my worry!
Good luck everyone else trying to stuff their stuff in the container!
We're Wellington bound for those interested.
Kim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.