moving

Old Aug 4th 2007, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

pauliz will become famous soon enoughpauliz will become famous soon enough
Default moving

We are coming to NZ in September,Any ideas for a stress free move, best container company etc etc.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: moving

Originally Posted by pauliz
We are coming to NZ in September,Any ideas for a stress free move, best container company etc etc.
mmm stress free...is that possible! Well we used the removal group but quite a few people use Brittania they are reputedly very good.

Good luck with the move where are you headed to?
Old Aug 10th 2007, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Philo1,
we are moving to Tauranga,Im on another thread under title of Newcomer,Im new to this and its all a bit confusing,I dont know how to get myself a photo,any advice.?
Whereabouts are you?
liz
Old Aug 11th 2007, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

futurama has a spectacular aura aboutfuturama has a spectacular aura aboutfuturama has a spectacular aura about

Hi Liz, to get a photo under your username you get yourself an 11yr old computer genius who says "I know more about computers than you dad" or if you go into "my profile" under Discussion Forum banner, in the settings and options is a link to edit photo or edit avitar. If you press edit photo you can upload a photo from the computer or internet. Same with avitar(small humerous picture). Just be careful picture size does not exceed limmits.You will know if its too big cos it will tell you!

Ian
Old Aug 11th 2007, 9:04 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Sell anything you don't want or can't bring due to restrictions or give away to charity. Get cleaning, especially if you are bringing any garden/outdoor stuff, bikes, golf clubs, tents/camping equipment, fishing equipment, diy tools including tool boxes. Pressure wash, clean with Jeyes fluid. Make sure everything is clean and clear of mud, dirt, dust, seeds, cobwebs. Rusty tools can be cleaned and repainted. Oh, and check the attic! Remove fir cones and dried flowers from any Christmas decorations as they are not allowed. And you're not supposed to put any food, solvents, cleaning fluids etc in your container. Remove batteries from kids toys and remotes in case they leak in transit. We were allowed to pack the batteries at all, or candles, wine or tinned or dried food, or wicker items or even wooden spoons! (untreated wood!) but I do know that others on here have had different experiences.

Pack your flight bags and suitcases and take to a neighbours or relatives along with your handbag, wallet - anything you want with you on your flight, as once the packers get going EVERYTHING they see gets wrapped and packed!

Sort sleeping arrangements for that couple of nights. We got them to leave out our mattresses and some bedding for that night and they packed those the second day they were there.

We used The Removal Group, they were reasonably priced (cheapest quote we got!) and fab from start to finish. Packers only took 1 and half days and we had 190 something boxes (we were told a 20' container would take 140 something boxes) but they got it all in and it all arrived here safely 6 weeks later. No damage or breakages.

Hope this helps. Good luck with it all xx
Old Aug 11th 2007, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

thanks Phil will try a picture when I have more time.Saturdays are busy,Hubby and I go separate ways, I to the gym then grocery shopping in the afternoon and maybe a bit of retail therapy before I sit down and enjoy the evening [hopefully in the garden]with a glass of wine and hubby.
I dont suppose I could borrow your 11 year old genius could I ?

Thanks Teamembo,youve given me some really useful tips especially about packing clothes in suit cases, wouldnt like to be left with the only clothes a Im standing in or would I? It would be a perfect excuse to do even more retail therapy and hubby couldnt argue the reason,Hmmm!!
Old Aug 11th 2007, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hi ,Liz here again.I wonder if anyone [Im sure you can] could give me a rough cost of removal.I have one quote from Britannia and its around £5000 in totalthats without insurance:curse:
Its a costly business this moving to the other side of the world! Think it might be cheaper to stay here with the increased house insurance, planned road charges[manchester have agreed] and the obvious potential increase in food prices due to the floods
er , well maybe not, Ill continue.
Liz
Old Aug 11th 2007, 12:24 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

... wouldnt like to be left with the only clothes a Im standing in or would I? It would be a perfect excuse to do even more retail therapy and hubby couldnt argue the reason,Hmmm!!
Old Aug 11th 2007, 12:27 pm
TeamEmbo

We paid 3,150 GBP for a 20' container (The Removal Group). Insurance was done separately through Letton Percival cos it's cheaper that way. You may also need to pay for a MAF inspection this end. Some do, some don't. It's entirely up to MAF who they inspect and what they charge. Our MAF inspection cost $485 as they wanted to check out 55 boxes
Also, if you are bringing any brand new items and they get listed as this on the packing sheets, customs might be interested
Old Aug 11th 2007, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Hi TeamEmbo,
thanks again ,I ll get another quote.How long ago did you move?
Anyway isnt it past your bedtime now?
Liz
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:24 am
TeamEmbo

We came over end of May this year so been here 11 weeks now.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 10:58 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi TeamEmbo,
thanks again ,I ll get another quote.How long ago did you move?
Anyway isnt it past your bedtime now?
Liz
Hi Liz,

I got your email thank you, I will reply soon!

We used Britannia and had a very full (bursting at the seams) 40ft container for just over 6,000 and used Letton Percival for insurance. Don't bring wardrobes, we have several surplus as all new homes have built in and/or walk in wardrobes. Plus dishwashers tend to be included when you buy. But NOT fridge/freezers? If you have a decent front loading washing machine bring it as they favour quite viscous top loaders here and white goods seem quite expensive. We also ended up purchasing a NZ TV as you may struggle to get the right signal/freqnency with your UK one(s) but good for DVD's/Playstations/Video etc.

Confused? You will be!!!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

scharlonie will become famous soon enoughscharlonie will become famous soon enough

Hi Liz, were moving in January and I've started to look for quotes like yourselves. Have you booked your flights yet? Not sure if you know but if you fly with NZ and go via LA you get a larger baggage allowance 23kg instead of 20kg. Containers are expensive but normally the quotes are free. I've got PSS coming on Friday so that will be interesting. They apparently pack this end and unpack that end and take the rubbish away which is a bonus. We're looking to take all our stuff, and with three kids thats alot of stuff. Looking at websites and taking advice im leaving anything which is to do with the garden at home, dont fancy the MAF charge the other end.
Anyway back to the dejunking of the house
Sharon
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for all the tips.
My washing machine is integrated but Im seriously considering buying a new one to bring over,especially as you say they are mainly top loaders.Ive been warned not to bring wardrobes, now I have to get rid of mine, oh how I wish I had listened to hubby years ago and had fitted.
Didnt know about the extra kgs with air nz thats handy ,it means I can fit more shoes in.
Just got in from work and the news is travelling ,its a bit like a round robin I hope I haven offended anyone by not telling them personally,cant please everyone I suppose.
Well Im going to be asking for more tips on whether to do some retail therapy and buy clothes,undies, shoes,what are the prices like out there?

I cant believe how organised you are Sharon de junking for January in Auguststill with 3 kids I guess you need to ,each time you throw something out ,no doubt theyre sneaking it back in

Liz
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:52 pm
TeamEmbo

Air NZ via LAX is 23kg per suitcase and you are allowed 2 suitcases each plus your 7kg flight bag.

If you buy any brand new items to put in the container such as white goods, you may get stung by customs this end as I think you have to have owned it for 12 months in the uk first to avoid paying import duty this end.

If you've got room, bring your wardrobes. Not all houses have fitted ones, it does depend on what area you're looking in but you will find it hard to buy free standing wardrobes here should you end up with a house that doesn't have them. Plus, if you do, you can sell the wardrobes on Trade Me and get quite a nice return on them! Garages here tend to be larger than UK single ones so you should be ok on storage space.

Bring lots of 4 gang extensions then you only have to change the plug on that to a NZ one and and use as normal for your uk electricals.

A standard BT telephone will fit the sockets here so you can bring you home phone. Our newish small LCD tv was re-tunable to NZ, but the main tv has to run through Sky. Non of the portable tvs work (usual picture, no sound) but we've kept them for PS2 and X-box play. Freeview boxes do not work here, at least ours don't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.