Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Move to Tauranga or whakatane?

Move to Tauranga or whakatane?

Old Mar 20th 2009, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Tauranga or whakatane?

Best of luck if you move to Whakatane. I doubt you will get much advice on living there as I dont expect many British Expats have moved there. (someone will no doubt prove me wrong now)

Another thing to watch out for in this area, particularly if you have "sea views" is the Tsunami.

If you can see the sea, then you are staring straight out across an awful lot of the Pacific Ocean.

Last nights earthquake in Tonga generated a Tsunami warning - did anyone get out of bed and run for the hills?

Director of the NZ Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management said

"The next time we might not be so lucky. Instead of cancelling a warning, we could be cleaning up the aftermath"

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/2279118...er-Tonga-quake
Old Mar 21st 2009, 9:17 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Bet that wrecked your buzz Jakie

Anyway.... I've no idea about living in either place but I don't drive either. I don't want to. I travel as a passenger in a car only because I absolutely have to. I think everyone everyone (no matter how good they think they are) is a crap driver and a lunatic once they get behind a wheel.

And I'm completely and utterly stuck 80% of the time because I don't drive. I keep putting it off but I feel like I'm losing my independence. Never mind the public transport in the UK - I was used to Holland - 3am and if you miss that train there will be another along in 15 minutes!!!!!!!

I completely sympathise and empathise with you but you're gonna have to bite the bullet - I'm intending that when I DO do it I'm going to get something really old and outrageous - just to be awkward
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

jakie is just really nicejakie is just really nicejakie is just really nicejakie is just really nicejakie is just really nicejakie is just really nicejakie is just really nicejakie is just really nice

Hiya Batty, the worst thing about me is that I can drive i just havent taken a test ! I am a fool to myself really cos ive had loads of lessons im quite a good driver I just hate ! I will get back to it when I get over there I think. Im not to worried about browner and his tsunami warnings as I ride a longboard so I will be ready !

Jaks
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jakie
Hiya Batty, the worst thing about me is that I can drive i just havent taken a test ! I am a fool to myself really cos ive had loads of lessons im quite a good driver I just hate ! I will get back to it when I get over there I think. Im not to worried about browner and his tsunami warnings as I ride a longboard so I will be ready !

Jaks
Driving in NZ is way easier than in UK because there is far less traffic so maybe you'd find it less stressful here to drive. In most of Wellington, you can't legally drive over 50kms anyway. Most NZ towns are much less busy than Wellington traffic-wise.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 8:31 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Driving in NZ is way easier than in UK because there is far less traffic so maybe you'd find it less stressful here to drive. In most of Wellington, you can't legally drive over 50kms anyway. Most NZ towns are much less busy than Wellington traffic-wise.
Back to the OT, Whakatane sits opposite White Island, a pretty active volcano by all accounts!

Get your up to date crater footage here!!!

http://www.geonet.org.nz/volcano/act...nd-latest.html