British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Move to Tauranga or whakatane? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/move-tauranga-whakatane-597090/)

jakie Mar 12th 2009 12:19 pm

Move to Tauranga or whakatane?

Hi all, :thumbup:can anyone help, we are looking at making the big move at the end of the year (ish) and are looking at all the different places to lay or hat, we live in sunny devon (raining) at the moment and would look at renting when we land, we all surf (me, the other half and 12 year old vickie pollard) and are very active outdoor people. We have looked at Popamoa and the Mount and really like the look of them both as they have most of the things that we are looking for ie:- beach life, schools and its not that far from the hospitals (can anyone tell me about the public transport to the hospitals please as i dont drive:D) as i am a nurse. However weve also looked (on the advice from the nursing agency tonix) at whakatane and hawkes bay, i would really appreciate it if anyone could pass on there experiences of these areas ie schools, beaches, hospitals, public transport, shops, expats and any other info that may be of some help.
Having someone to talk to about the different areas would be a great help with making our mind up, sorry this is so long, ive got a million things to ask.
Thanks all:thumbsup:
Jackie

Hokey-pokey Mar 13th 2009 2:59 am

Re: Move to Tauranga or whakatane?

Public transport in the Tauranga area is fairly slow and not altogether reliable. Also the buses may not actually run at the times you will require them for shift work. I would encourage you to learn to drive before heading for NZ.

kiwinow Mar 13th 2009 3:32 am

Yes, I agree. Public transport is rubbish in most areas of NZ, with the exception of the Wellington region. You may find there are buses once an hour and you could walk in that time!

It's hard to advise. Papamoa, Tauranga etc are desirable places to live, with lovely beaches, but high cost housing. In Whakatane, houses will probably be cheaper but it is also much more isolated and more laid back. I worked up there for a while. There is a high Maori population, which is not a bad thing, but life will definitely be more laid back. It is much warmer and more humid, but there is a definite need to understand and accept the Maori way of living up there.

Bolton_boy Mar 13th 2009 6:18 am

Hi Jackie - its all exciting stuff!

We live around an hour from the mount and the surf beaches in Rotorua - lots of lakes and water sports.

Bus services in NZ are not at their best on local services - inter city services are good. I think that Tauranga is a good choice - the hospital is pretty much what you would be used to in the UK. (Rotorua has a largeish hospital too - again similar to what you would be used to). I don't know enough about Whakatane - it is a lovely place with a high Maori population - but I don't know about the hospital.

Tauranga has local buses, but judging by other comments you have received - they are like they are in Rotorua - some areas are reasonably well served, others not so - from a shift perspective it would be hard to know if there were buses running at the times you might need them. The suggestion already made about learning to drive before you get here is certainly a good one.

Surf beaches - certainly the mount - also Raglan on the west coast - about 55km from Hamilton (again car needed). Hamilton has an impressive Hospital ...

I hope that isn't too confusing - If we can help, feel free :thumbsup:

jakie Mar 13th 2009 7:30 am

thanks all thats great. Can anyone give me an insite into tauranga and the surrounding areas, are there lots of expats there, what are the good and not so good areas to live, we love the beach and would like to live there however i would need to be able to get to the hospital by either walking or buses and i know they arnt so good, im used to a 45min walk to work which i really enjoy so thats not a problem, my partner wants to live at the Mount or papomoa but im not so sure as if he is working (he drives) then i wont be able to get to work.
Has anyone got any knowledge of this area that will help please
Many thanks to you all

Jackie
(the nurse that cant drive, wont drive, has tried but would prefer her legs any day)

Hokey-pokey Mar 13th 2009 7:54 am

Hi Jackie. An area of Tauranga known as The Avenues is very popular with hospital staff. You would be able to manage walking/cycling to work from this location.
I would recommend any properties from 15th Avenue towards the town centre. This is an established area with a good mix of housing most of which is quite expensive - primarily because of its proximity to the hospital and to the central business district.

There are two very decent primary schools in this location. The Intermediate school and also the Boys and Girls High schools are in this location also.

To get to the Mt Maunganui main beach from the Avenues will take 10 minutes to 25 minutes ( depending on traffic )

Am Loolah Mar 13th 2009 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey (Post 7374757)
Hi Jackie. An area of Tauranga known as The Avenues is very popular with hospital staff. You would be able to manage walking/cycling to work from this location.
I would recommend any properties from 15th Avenue towards the town centre. This is an established area with a good mix of housing most of which is quite expensive - primarily because of its proximity to the hospital and to the central business district.

There are two very decent primary schools in this location. The Intermediate school and also the Boys and Girls High schools are in this location also.

To get to the Mt Maunganui main beach from the Avenues will take 10 minutes to 25 minutes ( depending on traffic )

I absolutely agree with Hokey-pokey on the above. It would not really be feasible to live Mount/Papamoa side and use public transport over to the hospital, mainly based on your shift work. Have a look at the link below for the local bus timetables. The one I have linked directly to is from Papamoa via Maungatapu which brings you in at 15th Ave Tauranga, just 2 blocks from the hospital.

http://www.baylinebus.co.nz/hopper_f...ml?busname=Bay

Another option is looking into a car pool situation with other colleagues who live here and work at the hospital. But whether they would be happy with petrol money as opposed to an actual share of the drive I wouldn't know?:(

http://www.carpoolnz.org/index.php?PageID=3

Avenues is a nice area to be in and easy access over to the beaches for your times off!:thumbup:

I don't really know enough about Whakatane I'm afraid.

gozzy Mar 19th 2009 3:41 am

Go to whakatane the kids have great fun prononcing it. wh is f .
gozzy

jakie Mar 19th 2009 7:04 am

Tauranga area

Can anyone give me an insite into tauranga and the surrounding areas, are there lots of expats there, what are the good and not so good areas to live, we love the beach and would like to live there however i would need to be able to get to the hospital by either walking or buses and i know they arnt so good, im used to a 45min walk to work which i really enjoy so thats not a problem, my partner wants to live at the Mount or papomoa but im not so sure as if he is working (he drives) then i wont be able to get to work. Is it worth getting a moped, what are the drivers like over there, i see kids can drive at 15 ?
Has anyone got any knowledge of this area that will help please
Many thanks to you all
:thumbsup:
Jackie
(the nurse that cant drive, wont drive, has tried but would prefer her legs any day)

Browner_ Mar 19th 2009 7:18 am

So you are gonna emigrate to a place like Whakatane?
What do you think you are gonna find there?

jakie Mar 19th 2009 7:21 am

We are not sure that is why we are asking the Q:

Hokey-pokey Mar 19th 2009 8:06 am

Re: Tauranga area

Hello again ! I thought Am Loolah, myself and others had already answered this on your Tauranga/ Whakatane thread !

Firstly X out reliable public transport to hospital - it aint gonna happen.
second X out moped unless you have a death wish. Driving in Tauranga is dangerous enough in car !

You are therefore reliant on living close enough to work to be able to walk ( or ride a bike with a great deal of care - preferrably on footpath! ). The best area close enought to walk to the public hospital ( 15 - 30 min walk ) is The Aves. Other areas close enough to walk to the hospital from I would avoid.

You may of course choose to ignore this info - but it is the truth !

Am Loolah Mar 19th 2009 9:06 am

Re: Tauranga area

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey (Post 7396783)
Hello again ! I thought Am Loolah, myself and others had already answered this on your Tauranga/ Whakatane thread !

Yes, I have merged the two threads.:thumbup:

pricklykina Mar 19th 2009 9:55 am

If you are planning to work shifts, then you may want to consider driving as nursing late shifts often end at 11

jakie Mar 19th 2009 8:48 pm

:) Hiya all thanks a lot for all of your help its been very useful, sorry about the mishap with the two threads my partner posted the 2nd one and didnt realise. :)

Jaks