Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Mountain biking in Rotorua

Mountain biking in Rotorua

Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

marbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nice
Default Mountain biking in Rotorua

Hi,
We've been her 2 months now and our container has arrived and so have the bikes. My husband is looking for people to go out mountain biking with, he is used to a club which has a cycle night where anyone can turn up and join in but there doesn't seem to be anything like that around her. Is anyone interested in meeting up?
Helen
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mountain biking in Rotorua

Are you sure there's not a cycle club in Rotorua? I've got to admit that mountain biking isn't really my thing......when me & my bike get together somehow I end up pushing it more than I actually ride it . Right now it's got punctures front & back and somehow I've not quite got round to repairing them .
But there's huge amounts of mountain biking goes on in Waipa & the Redwoods, and I got the impression that the night events that we saw were club related at least . Certainly there's RATS (www.rats.org.nz) that may be of interest although they seem to be more focussed on triathalon & multisports. Feb has been bike month here and there's been quite a lot of focus on cycling activities for all ages and levels of fitness.
Might be worth checking out http://rotorua.mtbclub.org.nz for mountain biking enthusiasts in Rotorua.
Or get yourselves round to the Mountain biking car park in Waipa (head out of Rotorua on SH 5 towards Taupo. After you've crossed the bridge at Hemo Gorge, just after Te Puia & the 100kms speed limit signs there's the turn off to Tokoroa on your right. Very soon after that there's a turn to your left...that's to Waipa....can't miss it & literally just outside Rotorua) & speak to the Planet Bike guys who are regularly there. They do bike hire etc, but seem generally happy to chat about mountain biking in the area, I made enquiries with them when I had friends visiting who had expressed an interest in some of the trails there.
Count me in for get togethers involving less exertion, it'd be great to meet up sometime, and good luck with finding some others interested in mountain biking...it seems to be huge and you shouldn't have too many problems linking up with some fellow enthusiasts.