Motorbikes!!!

Old Sep 11th 2006, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

daviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to all
Post Motorbikes!!!

Hi all
wondered if any one can help....
my OH is big into his motorbikes. Has one in the UK which he is selling and will get a new one over in NZ.
He watches all bikes on TV over here such as British Super Bikes, World Super Bikes, Moto GP and he also loves the road racing (mostly in Ireland and Isle of Man) - which some Kiwi's are in, and we try to get to some every year.

He is wondereing what the motorbike racing/road racing scene is like in NZ? and wondered if anyone could enlighten us?

We are looking at coming over Oct this year, to the north island in BOP - Tauranga.

Any comments muchos appreciated.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 9:24 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Motorbikes!!!

Originally Posted by daviesl
Hi all
my OH is big into his motorbikes. Has one in the UK which he is selling and will get a new one over in NZ.
He watches all bikes on TV over here such as British Super Bikes, World Super Bikes, Moto GP and he also loves the road racing (mostly in Ireland and Isle of Man) - which some Kiwi's are in, and we try to get to some every year.

He is wondereing what the motorbike racing/road racing scene is like in NZ? and wondered if anyone could enlighten us?

We are looking at coming over Oct this year, to the north island in BOP - Tauranga.

heya...I'm also big into bikes (GSXR1000 + 748SP) and I got a bit withdrawn. I was there a couple of years ago...watching the Oz GP was no problem, it was on a huge screen in a local bar (you could travel to Philip Island if really determined, but it's probably a few hundred dollars each for the weekend)...as for the other races they're mostly on in the wee hours due to the time difference...BSB not a chance back in 03/04, but may have changed now as SKY has grown.

The NZ superbike championship is a meagre 5 or 6 rounds only (not changed) and spread out quite a ways, which is pretty crap compared to the UK's multiple rounds, and NZ tracks are a bit bland with limited facilities compared to UK's...basically, you are going to have to accept that there are only 4 million people there, so there's a very small market to appeal to, unfotunately. I didn't see any Irish road racing or WSB there, but I did notice that I had ESPN on SKY, so you should at least get the AMA (for Hodgson) with a bit of luck, though probably in the middle of the night unless delayed transmission, although I never caught any as I was too busy doing other stuff (there for only 4 months over the period of the Northern Hemisphere's winter). You could always get a mate to DVD record the BSB rounds an send em over...same with MCN, though you may get the Oz version in a major city (not Wellington though!). I'd highly advise getting stuff sent over if you are big into bikes. I also bought PB over there and it was 14 bucks and a month old, but hey! Isle of Man TT is another possibility now they have a Kiwi winner, but in 2003-4 I was out Oct - Feb, so it wasn't on anyway.

You should be able to pull up a TV schedule for NZ, but overall your bike fix is going to be mainly from the box, and recorded while you're asleep if live.

Same with the bike show...main one is in Auckland and tiny compared to Brum, and a good 200k from Tauranga, or so.

There's odd small shows, and plenty of owner's clubs too for like minded souls, a lot meeting once a week in local bars. Harley's are pretty popular too, though plenty of Jap stuff on the roads. No streetfighter scene at all.

NZers are big into V8 Holden racing etc, so you get a lot of that and the WRC on TV if you need a petrolhead fix...!

Hope this helps...I'd recommend seeking out a club as at least it will get you into the scene. An R1 new in 2003 was $20K, not sure now.....at least one or more multi franchise dealer in each decent sized place too (i.e New Plymouth, Napier, Auckland, Welly etc).

I won't be there for at least a year to 18 months, but we're heading to an area not a million miles from Tauranga I hope...who knows we might even hook up for a ride out one time !!

Someone in NZ may have more up to date info...but try a web search for NZ Superbikes etc, and you'll see the championship (if you can class it as one).

Good luck with it all,

Rich
Old Sep 12th 2006, 7:57 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by theguitardoctor
heya...I'm also big into bikes (GSXR1000 + 748SP) and I got a bit withdrawn. I was there a couple of years ago...watching the Oz GP was no problem, it was on a huge screen in a local bar (you could travel to Philip Island if really determined, but it's probably a few hundred dollars each for the weekend)...as for the other races they're mostly on in the wee hours due to the time difference...BSB not a chance back in 03/04, but may have changed now as SKY has grown.

The NZ superbike championship is a meagre 5 or 6 rounds only (not changed) and spread out quite a ways, which is pretty crap compared to the UK's multiple rounds, and NZ tracks are a bit bland with limited facilities compared to UK's...basically, you are going to have to accept that there are only 4 million people there, so there's a very small market to appeal to, unfotunately. I didn't see any Irish road racing or WSB there, but I did notice that I had ESPN on SKY, so you should at least get the AMA (for Hodgson) with a bit of luck, though probably in the middle of the night unless delayed transmission, although I never caught any as I was too busy doing other stuff (there for only 4 months over the period of the Northern Hemisphere's winter). You could always get a mate to DVD record the BSB rounds an send em over...same with MCN, though you may get the Oz version in a major city (not Wellington though!). I'd highly advise getting stuff sent over if you are big into bikes. I also bought PB over there and it was 14 bucks and a month old, but hey! Isle of Man TT is another possibility now they have a Kiwi winner, but in 2003-4 I was out Oct - Feb, so it wasn't on anyway.

You should be able to pull up a TV schedule for NZ, but overall your bike fix is going to be mainly from the box, and recorded while you're asleep if live.

Same with the bike show...main one is in Auckland and tiny compared to Brum, and a good 200k from Tauranga, or so.

There's odd small shows, and plenty of owner's clubs too for like minded souls, a lot meeting once a week in local bars. Harley's are pretty popular too, though plenty of Jap stuff on the roads. No streetfighter scene at all.

NZers are big into V8 Holden racing etc, so you get a lot of that and the WRC on TV if you need a petrolhead fix...!

Hope this helps...I'd recommend seeking out a club as at least it will get you into the scene. An R1 new in 2003 was $20K, not sure now.....at least one or more multi franchise dealer in each decent sized place too (i.e New Plymouth, Napier, Auckland, Welly etc).

I won't be there for at least a year to 18 months, but we're heading to an area not a million miles from Tauranga I hope...who knows we might even hook up for a ride out one time !!

Someone in NZ may have more up to date info...but try a web search for NZ Superbikes etc, and you'll see the championship (if you can class it as one).

Good luck with it all,

Rich
I remember reading a thread a while ago from a couple who are in Mount Maunganui and I'm sure he was a member of a bike club? Knowing me, could have been the pedalling variety! Thread something to do with not having met many people yet? Have a look through - I'm too lazy - it'll be a contact in the right area for you if you're going to Tauranga.

That's where we're headed - hopefully mid-January. we also have friends who are headed there next month. Will have to plan Ex-Pats Drink-a-Thon?!
Old Sep 12th 2006, 8:05 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I remember reading a thread a while ago from a couple who are in Mount Maunganui and I'm sure he was a member of a bike club? Knowing me, could have been the pedalling variety! Thread something to do with not having met many people yet? Have a look through - I'm too lazy - it'll be a contact in the right area for you if you're going to Tauranga.

That's where we're headed - hopefully mid-January. we also have friends who are headed there next month. Will have to plan Ex-Pats Drink-a-Thon?!
Posters name is Paul Gent - here is his post - on about page 6.

My wife Carolyn and I have been in NZ since October last year and we bought a house in Bethlehem in January. We are both working in Tauranga. Work keeps us pretty busy but I do like the idea of a get together - even if it's just for a few drinks.
We are back in UK on hols from 18th Aug till 10th Sept but after that would be great. If you email me then I will let you have our contact details and we can arrange a
We are enjoying life here even through the winter. I am joining a motorbike club in the city so I am looking forward to some grand tours in the spring and summer. Carolyn is a member of a local (women only ) gym which seems to occupy her most evenings of the week.
Let me know when you would liek to meet up and we'll make it happen.
Best wishes Paul
Old Sep 13th 2006, 9:09 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Hi you are right about the TV coverage, it is in the middle of the night most of the time. On Prime TV channel we get the races live (125,250,and GP) , no practice or superpole though. I don't think they are repeated but i usually get up to watch the race then go back to bed. We also get WSB with warm ups, superpole and they are repeated just the once I think the next day at about 4pm (no use then), so i have missed most of these. Then there as some of the Suzuka 8 hr race and a few other far east specials.
As for local stuff, it is still the same a previous threads, not a lot.

You can still just about get your fix but only if you get up early enough.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Google Kiwibiker !

There's a forum on there for bikers. Join and ask away !
I've got a Lambretta so I'd be far too fast for you lot (on the straight and round the twisty bits )

It could be this www.kiwibiker.co.nz but I'm not sure.

Hope you get sorted.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

daviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to all

Dear All
thanks for all the info - keep it coming and I will pass it on. Doesn't look to promising though especially on going to physically watch and racing at tracks or on the roads!!....looks like he will have to settle for DVD being sent over curtesy of his mom and dad then.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:28 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Re TV I thought I would get to see this weekends race at a reasonable time but they have got delayed live coverage starting at midnight!!!

On the racing front there is a new track just opened in Taupo built for the A1 cars,maybe that will attract some proper racing?
Old Sep 17th 2006, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

IainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really nice

You can watch 'The battle of the streets' - the first leg of which is in Wanganui every Boxing Day. It's street circuit, known as the Cemetery Circuit,around the town centre (and through the graveyard!) - usually get crowds of around 10-15000 or so. All sorts race, middleweight & sportsbikes, supermoto, sidecars and classics. The second round is in Paeroa early the following year.
http://www.cemeterycircuit.co.nz/ The bit about it being the Southern Hemisphere's Isle of Man is just a tad tongue in cheek

There's tons of bike racing here, most of it is the more grass roots level stuff. Some club circuits, but a lot of biking here is off road. Heaps of MX tracks all over the shop.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all

Originally Posted by daviesl
Hi all

Hi there ... I see someone has already mentioned my previous posts here already. I live in Tauranga and I am a biker here (Honda ST1300). There is a very active biking scene in the BOP. I have joined a local branch of the Ulysses bikiers club. This is a nation wide organisation mainly for the more mature rider. It costs $60 a year to join and they organise local rides every Sunday, winter and summer. I went for my first ride with them this Sunday and we did about 120 miles with a stop for lunch. The advantage of joining is that the locals know all the best rides where the roads are quiet and there is little chance of police radar checks. The Sunday rides are definitely touring rides but it's vert pleasant now that Spring is on its way here.

A tip for you - if you are planning on buying your bike over here if you buy Japanse then they are a lot cheaper here than the UK. My ST 1300 was about $11,000 cheaper than it would have been in the UK and the only difference is that it doesn't have the Pan European stickers on it! European bikes and Harleys are pretty expensive to buy new and very expensive to service.

Tauranga has dealers for all the major motorbike manufacturers including Harley, BMW and all the Jap makes.

As far as street racing is concerned - there is a town about an hours drive to the west of Tauranga on the main road to Auckland where they hold annual bike street racing. The place is called Paeroa (As in the Kiwi drink Lemon and Paeroa) and the racing is on all weekend in March. I missed it last year but fancy taking a trip to see it this year.

I hope this all helps. If you need any more then please drop me a message and I will give whatever help I can. If you need an intro to the club then I should be able to do this too.

Good luck :scared: