money transfer

Old Jun 13th 2009, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default money transfer

If, in the very unlikely event that we actually manage to sell our house we will have to transfer a sum of money to NZ to buy a house over there.

I was looking at some places on tinterweb like XE, and they do better rates than tourist rates, but we don't want to do something silly and obviously, as we've never emigrated anywhere before, dont't know the best thing to do.

Any stories? tips?

Cheers
Jan
Old Jun 13th 2009, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: money transfer

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
If, in the very unlikely event that we actually manage to sell our house we will have to transfer a sum of money to NZ to buy a house over there.

I was looking at some places on tinterweb like XE, and they do better rates than tourist rates, but we don't want to do something silly and obviously, as we've never emigrated anywhere before, dont't know the best thing to do.

Any stories? tips?

Cheers
Jan
We have opened an account with HiFX. Their rates are better than the banks and no charges to us. They say that if the NZ bank does make a charge for receiving the money into our account, they will refund the charge to us.

Very easy to set up and can all be done online
Old Jun 13th 2009, 6:29 pm
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light

I had to pay for an assessment a couple of months ago and that went through Money Corp but I have also been contacted from Halo Financial who do similar and who advertise in the Emigrate Now magazine (online). HTH, regards, LB
Old Jun 13th 2009, 8:30 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

We have used Halo Financial several times now with no issues. If you are moving more than, say, 10 or 15 thousand UK pounds, I always try to shop around a little for rates. Then, when it comes to the crunch you are sure that you are getting the best on the market.

You can do it one of 2 ways:

1) Make a 'buying order'. This is when you direct a foreign exchange company (like FX or Halo) to buy at a set excahnge rate - such as $2.75 to the pound. You then hang fire until this comes around. Advantages to this are that you won't miss the boat if rates suddenly peak and then drop over a 2 hour period whilst you were out of contact with the company making the buy for you. Disadvantage is that your desired exchange rate may not come come along for quite some time - so you need to be patient.

2) Just get the best deal at the time. For us, we have always HAD to move the money, and so have had to take the best offer on the table, dictated by the exchange rates. Companies like Halo make their money by adding on a slight % in their favour when doing the deal, and if you are changing a large amount of cash then you can squeeze this back in your favour by pushing the deal as hard as possible. I have done this to the point of them saying they wouldn't drop any further, so I said I would go elsewhere - to another company I was signed up with. 10 minutes late I had a call back and the deal was done. If you like negotiating it's great fun

Finally, whatever you do, DO NOT LOOK BACK. I try to ignore looking back at exchange rates AFTER having made the deal, as they always get better immediately!
Old Jun 13th 2009, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

We used HiFX too & they were excellent Good luck with the house selling.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Windsor2 will become famous soon enoughWindsor2 will become famous soon enough
Post Re: money transfer

Jan n Neil

You're not alone in wondering what the best way to transfer your hard earned cash is.

People often want to know how they can compare the banks and the various currency brokers.

Suggest you visit Moneysavingexpert.com run by Martin Lewis. No doubt you've seen him on TV being interviewed about how to save money on all aspects of personal finance.

The link below will take you to his website where he examines the whole foreign exchange market and tells what you should be aware of and who the main players are regardless of the amount you're sending.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ban...rency-exchange

Hopefully this is useful.

Best Regards

Mark Bodega
Director - HiFX
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:13 am
Just Joined

sary is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for being thick, but I can't get that link to work to the Moneysaving expert site. Any alternatives?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sary
Sorry for being thick, but I can't get that link to work to the Moneysaving expert site. Any alternatives?
Just tried the link myself and it is working. Do it manually

www.moneysavingexpert.com
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:36 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Numptyhead

We used HiFX both in the UK and here - very good and easy to do!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:40 am
Just Joined

sary is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Numptyhead

Thanks Numptyhead - there's a mass of information on that page! Need to have the money bit of my brain in gear now
Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Finally, whatever you do, DO NOT LOOK BACK. I try to ignore looking back at exchange rates AFTER having made the deal, as they always get better immediately![/QUOTE]

Wel bugger me! I thought the above JUST happened to me....and it has done for the past 30 odd years on ALL currency exchanges that I have entered into!!!! My motto is buy high, sell low.....okay yah?