Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The minefield known as the 2nd hand car market?

The minefield known as the 2nd hand car market?

Old Sep 5th 2010, 3:24 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The minefield known as the 2nd hand car market?

TN, we've got that little delight to come. We head for Christchurch in February. (Hopefully, they will have repaired the earthquake damage by then in the roads, houses, shops, hopitals, offices etc etc etc). Initially we will rent, apparently some houses have plenty of fresh air ventilation and lots of natural light now. One house for rent which we spied on Trademe is right on the edge of the cordoned off curfew zone ! We need to rent small, cheap and furnished initially whilst our 'worldly goods' are at sea in a ships container.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 3:31 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The minefield known as the 2nd hand car market?

TN, I've just clicked on all 3 of those links ! Oh, I didn't realise you had real money to spend. I'll have the same, 'pocket money prices' metality for purchasing a car that I have here in Britain. As in £1,000 for the VW Golf that we've been driving since December 2008. The last link made me laugh ! Not even I'd part with money for that. No wonder he wants NZ$0.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Toon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to all

Nah, I deffo haven't got money to spend!!! Nee way! We'll need that cash in the bank once we look to buy. It's just like for like that's all, it's what I'd get here for my jeep so I'm not laying anything out plus the fact I'll have a company vehicle once I start anyway. I want something half decent for a few month till we get settled, then I'll flog it. If I loose a grand it's only what I would of paid in rental plus more anyway, yeh?

Well, that's my thinking anyway!
Old Sep 5th 2010, 5:04 pm

Oh, ok. I got the Golf valued on WeBuyAnycar.com and they would pay nearly a couple of hundred quid for it but would still want a £49.99 fee. (That was funny, got anymore ?) The bodywork is in a bad way, we've both mullered it ! The drivers' door is stoved in, passenger side has a long, thin gouge down it, the locks don't work. The £650 we spent having the gearbox and clutch replaced 3 months ago will just have to be by the way. I'll sell it to a mobile phone number for cash 24 hours before we leave next February. Or just do whatever it takes to get rid for a few quid. Hey, that rhymes
Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

joannii is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, I'm highjacking threads all over tonight So sorry about highjacking....again!

Talking about 2nd hand cars, we would love to bring over our car, we saved for ages for it and its our only love(no children yet), it is a Chrysler 300c and we are worried that it might stand out over other cars and cause problems?

Would we be better to sell it and buy a car over in NZ? Especially as I have heard they wear dents as badges of honour!

Thanks.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Toon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to all

Originally Posted by joannii
Wow, I'm highjacking threads all over tonight So sorry about highjacking....again!
Fill ya boots, that's this place is for.

As long as you have owned it for 12 months or more and it meets the compliance test then why not?
Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Well it has been ours for over a year now, I think it will be fine but my partner thinks it might be a bit stand-outy.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 8:15 pm

The car would be an extra cost on the shipping and inspection fees on arrival in NZ. It's gonna be hard to part with it of course. Have a look and see if the same model is available to buy in NZ. Basically, could you buy another in NZ with what you sold yours for and save yourself the cost of shipping ? My late father in law regretted not shipping their family car out to NZ back in 1966. Different story now with motor dealers in every neighbourhood. I will just buy an old 'crate' (as I believe they are called in NZ) as no one else will want the ugly unfashionable thing. Maybe the other cars will see me coming and get out of the way ! Initially we will get around Christchurch without a car as we will need to find a job so that we can fund said vehicle. Yes really. (Married to a New Zealander y'see.)
Old Sep 6th 2010, 1:20 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joannii
Well it has been ours for over a year now, I think it will be fine but my partner thinks it might be a bit stand-outy.
Depends where you are heading for, if you are going for the East Coast Bays on North Shore for instance it will be fine - they have them here.

On some streets it might look a bit tatty even
Old Sep 6th 2010, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

No reason why a 300c would stand out, you can buy em here and see plenty around.

http://http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/CategoryAttributeSearchResults.aspx?search=1&mcat= 0001-0268-&sidebar=1&5=&14=Chrysler&15=300c&18=0&18=0&24=0&2 4=0&searchRegion=100&sidebarSearch_keypresses=4&si debarSearch_suggested=0

TN they might knock 500 bucks off that car but they will assume
with you being a pom thet you are loaded so be warned.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Awesome thanks, just what we wanted to hear! Paid less than those on there as got it from a mate, so it is still worth shipping
Old Sep 7th 2010, 6:12 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses65
Im the hoon mother in Taupo in the wide bore exhaust Subie lol.........
.....and believe me, we're all sooooo impressed!!