Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Migration: the myth exposed! Viva New Zealand!!!

Migration: the myth exposed! Viva New Zealand!!!

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:58 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Migration: the myth exposed! Viva New Zealand!!!

Originally Posted by phil01
No not all countries apparently the only gangsta's in Oz are from NZ...according to Nerine...again!
Thats because all the Aussie kids are a bunch of racists.

Whoops, did I just generalise that
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:58 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Good job ours are British then.

In actual fact I felt quite embarassed for them when I saw this group of guys knocking round the town centre, dropping the shoulder and doing the hand on the groin thing ....whilst wearing their Kowhaiwhai T shirts under their hoodies, and beanies pulled down in the heat! . Whatever happened to Mana? Quite frankly they were ridiculous

I still get a tingle when I see people here wearing their greenstone pendants with pride and their heads held high.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:02 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nerine
Good job ours are British then.
So they would be into the binge drinking bling culture than.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by waynepfry
It wasn't that accurate I'm afraid. It was skilled migrants so I'm sure the UK would have been prominent in the survey but no idea on the % from any country.

You're right that people have many reasons for liking/not liking their choice of country. I just wanted to show some figures (accurate though albeit in no way in-depth in their specific analysis) that proved to a large degree that immigrants (in this case skilled migrants) were happy with NZ.

You can check out www.workplace.com because there were loads of articles on there and maybe some were more in-depth. I would look myself but I have to leave in 5 minutes and don't have the time..............
Yes. I'd be interested to have a read.

It is an interesting topic given the vast voluntary migrational movement around the globe.

I see you have re-edited the adjustment I needed to do on the first post. The edit was made to remove the copy and paste content . It was replaced with the link as per - rule 7 about copyright.
Perhaps you could put up the links to the three articles you quoted to make sense again of this thread.

You may be interested to read the outcome of a survey that was conducted through BE . Part of it was to find out where and whether expats were happier abroad and their reason to move overseas. Of course the result is dependant on how many and from which country, completed the survey as it was not a controlled exercise.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:17 am

Ted. More like Bob the Builder and Blue Peter than Binge Drinking Culture.

And the only time they've ever seen "bling" has been in NZ

Normal street wear here usually consists of shorts and a T shirt, sometimes only the shorts...sometimes only togs...togs...togs...undies depending on distance from the beach.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:20 am

Whooops! a timely reminder that this thread is well off track
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

Hi Bevs

Took a bit of trawling through but here are the original articles:

SKILLED MIGRANTS ENJOY LIFE IN NEW ZEALAND
http://workpermit.com/news/2007_04_2..._kiwi_life.htm

IMMIGRATION TRENDS - NZ/OZ
http://workpermit.com/news/2007-11-2...statistics.htm

NZ MIGRATION TO AUSTRALIA
http://workpermit.com/news/2008-01-0...-australia.htm

LEAVING NEW ZEALAND
http://www.emigratenz.org/leaving-New-Zealand.html

I wanted to show a balanced account. That yes immigration to Oz from NZ is at record levels but there is a siginificant amount from Oz the other way (particularly Kiwis returning home). With the mass migration between countries it is inevitable and with NZ being geographically isloated there is always going to be a large proportion who want to travel.

With changes in the international economies of scale I'm sure the migration will turn around. I.e. food prices are shooting up which will only improve NZ's position. This, coupled with taxes coming down should entice more people home.

The only problem with these figures - and others posted on this board in the past - is that they don't provide reasons why people are moving. Is it salary, family, yearning for travel, tax, career opportuntities etc? The fact that 2/3 of all immigrants from Australia to NZ are returning Kiwis seems to indicate either life wasn't as good as they thought it was going to be or they hadn't left NZ in the first place because they hated it.

Also looking at the last article it appears that over 91% of UK immigrants to NZ are still here after 6 years.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:37 pm
Winter hibernator

........Also looking at the last article it appears that over 91% of UK immigrants to NZ are still here after 6 years.
.... still waiting for their NZ passport so they can move to Australia
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

Ha! Ha! Obviously!

I don't blame them as I couldn't bear to carry around an Aussie passport either - I'd just never feel the same watching us beat them at rugby again!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:55 pm
Winter hibernator

NZ immigration is not as tight as Australia therefore the English come here first to get their kiwi passport to allow them access to Australia. To fight this NZ immigration put up the stay time for NZ citizenship from 3 years to 5.

Still, as much as Australia looks good, wouldn't want to live there.
Too bloody hot and too may things that can kill you.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:20 pm

I wonder how many of the Kiwi returnees are people like my friend who work in Australia for a few months every year to get some extra money?

I think a lot of Kiwis use Oz as a means to an end - go there to earn money and return when the coffers have been topped up. This must be the case for many graduates who do their OE close to home for a few years and then return to NZ when they can afford to. They may also be claiming Ozzie tax breaks such as the Living Away from Home Allowance, which would make living away from home for a few years more tempting across the ditch than in NZ.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

I would imagine the figures do include those who use Australia as a means to an end - if this is the case just shows that they prefer to live in NZ rather than OZ. I'm sure it includes a few people like the one's I've talked to - gone overseas and come back as things weren't as rosy as they thought they would be.

I deinately know a lot of grads go over to earn more money, gain working experience then return home in their mid-20s. I'm sure more Brits would do this in Europe if we were capable of speaking more than just English...............
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:13 pm
Winter hibernator

.........I'm sure more Brits would do this in Europe if we were capable of speaking more than just English...............
and hell will freeze over if that ever happens.

Makes an interesting point that if all the kiwis returned home from Australia and Britian how big a population NZ would have. Than maybe we could win the World Cup ..... just maybe ..... please

Still not bitter over that English ref ............ honest
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:47 pm

I would imagine the figures do include those who use Australia as a means to an end - if this is the case just shows that they prefer to live in NZ rather than OZ. I'm sure it includes a few people like the one's I've talked to - gone overseas and come back as things weren't as rosy as they thought they would be.

I deinately know a lot of grads go over to earn more money, gain working experience then return home in their mid-20s. I'm sure more Brits would do this in Europe if we were capable of speaking more than just English...............
Definitely right there, that's why English speaking Australia, NZ and Canada are the most popular destinations for British expats.

Re. Kiwi returnees, remember that these figures only show Kiwis as the proportion of people who leave Australia. The greater majority of Kiwis choose to stay.

In June 2005 there was an estimate of 449,000 New Zealanders in Australia according to Australian immigration's own figures. In August of that year workpermit.com put the figure at 335,000 (a bit of a difference in the figures!)

With the increase in net migration from NZ to Oz every year since then the figure is probably higher now, so if they all returned those world cup chances could increase substantially.

Last edited by Nerine; Jan 3rd 2008 at 11:52 pm. Reason: forgot a link
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Luke McAllister's moved to Sale - that should be one Kiwi who will defo come home to bolster your World Cup chances!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.