British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Migration: the myth exposed! Viva New Zealand!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/migration-myth-exposed-viva-new-zealand-503101/)

waynepfry Jan 2nd 2008 11:38 pm

Migration: the myth exposed! Viva New Zealand!!!

I have removed this post as it was initially a combination of three articles and two were removed.

Nerine Jan 3rd 2008 12:13 am

Re: Migration: the myth exposed! Viva New Zealand!!!

What immigration advice site was it? just wondering if they were putting their own spin on it.

First part about NZ we already know about.

Re Australia:

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publica...tics/index.htm

Shows PERMANENT net inflow for Australian migration was 68,045 in 2006/7 which is more than the previous year's figure of 63,740. Of all the people who left permanently left Australia in 2006/7 around half are Australian born.

Then look at the LONG TERM departures and arrivals of residents and visitors (guess this would include people like me) there is a net inflow of 170,236, which is also up on the previous year's figure of 135,533.

Neither set of figures shows a net decrease in departures for 2006/7 or the previous year either. Which I guess means house prices won't be dropping anytime soon and that the property market probably turns over quite frequently because temp visitors must sell up when they leave.

p.s.
Nice plug for emigrate.nz ;)

waynepfry Jan 3rd 2008 12:29 am

www.workpermit.com - it's an independent site so no spin on any articles - unless they are specifically quoting a specific government agency etc

I wasn't particularly trying to make it (too) pro-NZ - just wanted to show a balanced view - that despite signification numbers leaving NZ - the population is still growing, most migrants want to stay and that a lot of those who have moved to Oz do come back (admittedly it also appears a lot don't........)

At the end of the day it is a lot easier to emigrate today and there is a constant shift of people between countries. This particularly affects countries like NZ as it is geographically islolated. I know I for one will be encouraging my children to do a bit of travelling/living abroad when they're old enough. I guess what the figures show is that there's loads of people leaving both Oz and NZ yet the overall population continues to grow. - so it appears they're both popular places to live.

I wouldn't worry about the house prices - not unless you live in the UK! :ohmy:

BEVS Jan 3rd 2008 12:37 am

My husband was actually asked to take part in the NZ statistical survey. I expect Workpermit got their info. from that. You have 3 interviews over 3 years. You don't give free answers to the questions but must select from a list of pre-set answers.

My husband found it extremely unsatisfactory & frustrating as he felt it did not accurately portray his experience as a skilled trade migrant.

waynepfry Jan 3rd 2008 12:49 am

Granted and I take your point 100%. But that's what the vast majority of surveys are like as they just become unmanageable otherwise. As proven in pre-election forecasts statistics are not 100% accurate but rather give an overall impression.

I once had to complete a survey in a restaurant I'd been in. It was possibly the worst meal and dining experience I've ever had and the option I wanted to put wasn't on the list. I just had to pick very poor everytime - it certainly left them with the impression that I wasn't happy but didn't give them a true indication of my disgust.

The impression that these statistics give is that most skilled migrants are happy in the NZ - and this is backed up by net inflow/outflow figures of this group - and these figures are accurate.

Nerine Jan 3rd 2008 1:03 am

So is the myth exposed?

BEVS Jan 3rd 2008 1:47 am

The impression that these statistics give is that most skilled migrants are happy in the NZ - and this is backed up by net inflow/outflow figures of this group - and these figures are accurate.
Interesting. Where is the chart for the SMC in/outflow. Does it break down to countries of origin ?

I am sure the in/outflow figures will be accurate however, they don't factor in many other reasons why skilled migrants remain in NZ ,or Oz for that matter when they are dis-satisfied with their choice of country.

such factors could include:-

Disruption to children
Pressure from family/partner
Inability to financially fund a further move.

I'm sure that many migrants will be happy with their choice of country. Also, many will not be.

waynepfry Jan 3rd 2008 1:56 am

It wasn't that accurate I'm afraid. It was skilled migrants so I'm sure the UK would have been prominent in the survey but no idea on the % from any country.

You're right that people have many reasons for liking/not liking their choice of country. I just wanted to show some figures (accurate though albeit in no way in-depth in their specific analysis) that proved to a large degree that immigrants (in this case skilled migrants) were happy with NZ.

You can check out www.workplace.com because there were loads of articles on there and maybe some were more in-depth. I would look myself but I have to leave in 5 minutes and don't have the time..............

waynepfry Jan 3rd 2008 2:03 am

If you read the original article then yes.

I.e

NZ is continuing to enjoy net population growth despite large numbers moving from Australia.

Australia contributes the 2nd largest group moving to NZ after us Brits - 2/3 of them returning Kiwis. It obviously seems that some thought the grass was greener and have learnt from their mistake.

Australia is losing ever increasing numbers overseas - a la NZ.
This goes to show that NZ isn't alone in it's citizens moving overseas. Maybe people just like to travel and work overseas for a new experience - rather than escaping from their home country. I for one will be encouraging my children to travel when they come of age. Despite NZ's beauty it is isolated and I think it's beneficial to see more of the world.

The figures and articles went some way to show that people are leaving NZ for other reasons than they are simply dissatisfied and also,that in fact the vast majority of skilled migrants are satisfied/happy with life here.

I am anyway - we don't get funnel spiders or cane toads over here........:thumbsup:

Nerine Jan 3rd 2008 2:28 am

Just a couple of examples of skilled migrants I know and how their situations would not be accurately reflected in these questionnaires.

I have one set of British friends back on the North Shore, financially life is a real struggle for them,they know they can't move on and have learned to be happy with what they've got.

Another have their own business, his parents have moved over, but he has to go to Oz for months at a time during the winter months to earn enough to make ends meet. Would they move? not whilst his parents are alive. Could they afford to? no. Would they like to? you bet ya.

When I lived in NZ I knew a handful of Ozzies who had come to NZ, whilst here on the GC there are so many kiwis that it sometimes feels like I never left. (Also, I'm sad to say its easy to spot the Kiwi wannabe gangsta youths hanging around Robina town centre)

Cane toads? great fun:rofl:. An Eastern Brown Snake bit a Kiwi tourist Mr Suifua on a beach on Christmas day but he ignored it thinking it was an ant bite until he collapsed 45 mins later. He is now said to be reconsidering his plans to move to Australia.

I think I'd be more worried about his fellow countrymen hanging around Robina.

Ted Logan Jan 3rd 2008 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 5732161)
........... I think I'd be more worried about his fellow countrymen hanging around Robina.

Really ???
Given the wannabe gang culture in most big city environments, there will be a time when walking alone will not be possible due to the increase in crime etc. Take certain parts of SA and England for some good examples.

Nerine Jan 3rd 2008 2:48 am

Yes REALLY!! Robina isn't a "big city environment" and I'm quite happy to let my kids wander round the centre there. Even they can recognise the small number of Kiwis hoodrats propping up lamposts and carving their names in the trees, they know to steer clear.

They had enough trouble from them in Browns Bay, one of their mates had his front tooth punched out for daring to look at a Bro'. There were even adult Bro's hassling the kids & trying to start fights :thumbdown:

Ted Logan Jan 3rd 2008 3:04 am

Kiwis hoodrats propping up lamposts and carving their names in the trees = English Chavs hanging around on street corners drunk abusing anyone walking by.

Wow, kids in all countries get a bad reputation, wasn't like that when I was a lad.

So who is to blame, parents, society, TV or that stuff they put in our food.

Nerine Jan 3rd 2008 4:08 am

Kids?

phil01 Jan 3rd 2008 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 5732202)
Yes REALLY!! Robina isn't a "big city environment" and I'm quite happy to let my kids wander round the centre there. Even they can recognise the small number of Kiwis hoodrats propping up lamposts and carving their names in the trees, they know to steer clear.

They had enough trouble from them in Browns Bay, one of their mates had his front tooth punched out for daring to look at a Bro'. There were even adult Bro's hassling the kids & trying to start fights :thumbdown:

No not all countries apparently the only gangsta's in Oz are from NZ...according to Nerine...again!