Reload this Page >

Midwifery in New Zealand

Midwifery in New Zealand

Old Jul 20th 2010, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

midmand is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Midwifery in New Zealand

Hello
I was wondering if any midwives out there could help me. Im in the process if filling in my EOI and im aware that if i have a job offer i will get more points. So my question is about the midwifery interveiw process. What kind of questions do they ask?? Are they mainly practical based?

Any advice would be greatly received
Old Jul 20th 2010, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Midwifery in New Zealand

Midmand I've recently gained a midwifery job in NZ and I'm heading over in just under 3 weeks.
I'm assuming your got your NZ Midwifery Registration all sorted already if your onto the job search stage, if not and you want any advice on the process feel free to ask.

I think the interview process varies from place to place as it does in the UK. Mine was a very informal telephone interview although it did last almost an hour. They asked about my present post, what areas I had experience in and what training I had. They were interested in what type of midwife I was (more focused on normality or high risk kind of thing) and what type of environment I would like to work in in NZ. They didnt ask me any clinical scenario type questions but were interested in how in how I felt I would fit into an already established team.

I do know of others who were asked quite a few clinical scenario type questions though so I guess its pretty much like the UK and dependant and where and who you interview with.

Hope that helps.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

lisamct, thanks so much for your response. How exciting that you are going out there in three weeks. I bet you cant wait. Whereabouts are you going? have you worked out there before?

Yes i do have my midwifery registration. I have just sold my house. How long did the process take you??
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midmand
lisamct, thanks so much for your response. How exciting that you are going out there in three weeks. I bet you cant wait. Whereabouts are you going? have you worked out there before?

Yes i do have my midwifery registration. I have just sold my house. How long did the process take you??
Its exciting and terrifying at the same time!

I'm going to Rotorua. I've never been to NZ so when I was applying for jobs I pretty much stuck a pin in the map, knew I didnt want to be in a big city andto have the option to work in a variety of settings and Rotorua pretty much fits the bill.

The actual process of getting a job was pretty quick. I used Tonix Recruitment and so far cant fault them, they're free to use and have been so friendly and helpful its really made the process much easier. From first contact with them to getting a contact was probably 3 weeks.

Visa wise I did a bit differently. I went down the work visa route instead of going straight for PR (even though I had more than enough points for PR) as it was a much easier, quicker and cheaper process. Other than a small issue with my medical I got my visa in 2 weeks. I have a 3 year work visa so plenty of time to appy for my PR once I'm there.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Oh yeah. Spent some time there. It is lovely. Go and do the Luge in Rotorua, its great fun. We went to a traditional Hangi there too - it was fab and met some really nice people.

Im using Tonix too - they have been great so far. we are planning on going to the South island, probably Marlborough district.

Anyway good luck with everything. Keep in touch. It will be great to know how you get on x