merchant navy

Old Jul 24th 2014, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

nautical86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile merchant navy

Hi!

I'm new to the site and wondered if anybody can help me. I would like to emmigrate to new Zealand in the next few months to live and work. I am a qualified deck officer in the merchant navy and I hold a British unlimited chief mate coc and limited 3000gt masters. I would like some help with the following:

How likely is it to find a job ( I'm interested in working on ferries)
I will be bringing my dog with me is it easy to find a property to rent that accepts pets?
As it's just me and the dog is it easy to meet people?
Are there any requirements for applying/getting a job? (Such as medicals/orals)
How would I go about getting a bank account?
How long until I can apply for full residency?
any tips?

Thank you in advance!
Old Jul 24th 2014, 8:49 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: merchant navy

you would need to look at your visa options.
Immigration New Zealand | Official Government website

as for dogs I am seeing more pet friendly rentals in the Wellington area but it can be a real problem for dog owners, cat owners not so much which is strange as they are the more likely to damage things, amyway.
medical requirement would depend on the visa type
you can open a bank account from the UK and on getting an address pop in and get your cards
full residency again depends on type of visa
Old Jul 24th 2014, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Hi, I used the points indicator which showed I would get about 175 points. I would be looking at the skilled category to permenantly live and work in new zealand and the job I would be doing is on the long term skilled shortage list. The company I am looking at to work for advertises that they do the visa side of things. Thank you for the information on the bank accounts I shall have a look at sorting an account. Glad to hear that more rentals are allowing pets as I'm looking at either wellington central or thorndon!
Old Jul 24th 2014, 10:00 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

when the Company say they do the visa side of things please make sure you know what visa they are offering to get you and you know the process. seen a few people fall foul because they did not understand the visa or the process. You will still have to gather all the information and get police certs and medicals.
The points do sound believable as long as you have all the corresponding requirements that are listed for that particular occupation and job offer.

good luck
Old Aug 5th 2014, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Hi does anybody else have any advice/suggestions?Thank you
Old Aug 5th 2014, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you get residency, be aware, if you are deep sea or coastal you may find you aren't in the country long enough to qualify for citizenship. If you are working on the ferries then it possibly wouldn't apply. You have to be in the country for a minimum of 240 days for 5 years prior to applying for citizenship.
HTH.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Hi thank you. I will hopfully be working on the ferries between the islands and to start with on a wowo basis (walk on walk off so home every day)
Old Aug 8th 2014, 6:59 am
Just Joined

Simon108 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi..

Just been reading your thread, I may be able to give you some insight to your questions..I am also in the Merchant Navy working on deck (SG1A), I am currently back in the Uk working for P&O Ferries but have worked in New Zealand in Wellington for Interisland Ferries about 5 years ago, I have residency for NZ etc, Came back to the UK for personal probs but still have a interest in NZ, Hence reading this forum, just registerd so cant send you a private message until posted a few more times but you can reach me at <snkip> if you wish,

Cheers Simon

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 8th 2014 at 1:25 pm. Reason: Email address removed to save you from the spambots and weirdos - it's a public forum! OP can email you via the forum instead