Reload this Page >

GST On Imported Goods

GST On Imported Goods

Old Jul 6th 2014, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Coleyheb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GST On Imported Goods

Hi there,
Hope someone can help me on this, I have done a quick search but not found anything recent.

I arrived in NZ on a visitor visa in Dec 2011 to be with my Kiwi partner who I met online and subsequently met for 4 weeks in the UK prior to heading out to NZ.

Since this time I have resided in NZ and have gone through all the hoops to gain residency on the basis of my partnership with a Kiwi, which of course requires living together.

I finally got my residency visa (after holding a couple of short term work visas) in Jan this year and I have come back to the UK to organise shipping my goods and selling my house.

I am 50 years old and have a lot of aquired stuff - and so didn't want to ship anything until I knew I could actually stay. Shipping from the outer hebrides is going to cost in excess of £4k.

The shipping company gave me the import docs I have looked at the customs website and now worried I'll Get slapped for GST because I have been living in NZ (I just assumed personal possessions would be excluded). i have a lot of high value goods, even though a lot were bought second hand on ebay. CD collection could be valued at replacement cost of £20k I also have lots of bikes, outdoor gear and clothing. I just can't afford 12.5% gst as well as the shipping and insurance costs.

Has anyone else experienced this type of move and is there any way customs would waive the fee given that it would be madness to ship all my stuff until I knew I could actually stay in NZ.

I do nsot have time or the mean to sell any off my stuff, so If I don't ship I just have to give or throw all my possessions away

Any advise would be appreciated

Last edited by Coleyheb; Jul 6th 2014 at 10:38 am.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GST On Imported Goods

Hi
I have moved to NZ twice and never been charged you don't on personal affects as long as they are over 12months old? as you have residency this should be ok
Old Jul 8th 2014, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Engel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really nice

I gave away over 500 CD albums and 200 singles. I could not sell them and the shipping was a pain.

I did back them on to a drive that fit in my luggage.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies.

My partner rang Customs and Exise in NZ and they confirmed that I don't have to pay any GST unless I have new or unused items!

As an aside and extra bit of info:- my insurers for the shipping have told me I have to value my full shipment at replacement value and can't under insure myself, which is another financial blow to be honest. I have loads of old walking gear and fleeces and my CD collection is mainly second hand from ebay, but it will cost quite a bit to insure it at replacement value. I'd be quite happy replacing stuff second hand in the event of full loss! Anyway just something to be aware of if people didn't know this already!
Old Jul 9th 2014, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that's true. We had a number of things that we brought, that we didn't insure. We figured that we could suffer the loss on those, and buy second hand if we wanted to replace them. We insured the high value goods, like art and electronics, and didn't insure stuff like books and pots and pans, because the books couldn't be replaced, and the pots and pans could be replaced cheaply.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 6:44 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Janie, how will the insurers know the true value of the things. At the end of the day if you under insure it is you that would be affected. we clumped together all the kitchen stuff at one price, books, records, dvd's at another and then for the more higher value goods we noted them individually with replacement costs. Don't forget the replacement cost will be what it would cost to replace in NZ and not what it would be to replace in the UK.
which Insurance company was this?
Old Aug 1st 2014, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
it is Letton Percival and it is also written on their contract documentation to provide a full replacement value of all goods shipped.
It is going to cost me a lot more than I thought, but probably in total still cheaper than the other insurance companies.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 8:39 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Insure what you are happy to obtain back if it gets lost/sinks etc.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Careful with Letton Percival, their std policy doesn't cover the removal company going bust. The one I went with 6yrs ago did, and I ended up shelling our practically the full removal cost again, despite the fact that my goods had actually arrived in NZ at the time, and the NZ removal company were telling porkies re: the apparent delay.
I think if you pay by credit card in the UK, you'd be covered though.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

IN terms of shipping 'new goods'. I have some small items that have never been used. Like spare parts for a bike etc. These will be mixed in with a load of other stuff but in theory would any questions be asked? Or is it mainly for furniture etc?
Old Aug 8th 2014, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

JerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by desmondo84
IN terms of shipping 'new goods'. I have some small items that have never been used. Like spare parts for a bike etc. These will be mixed in with a load of other stuff but in theory would any questions be asked? Or is it mainly for furniture etc?
You should be fine so long as the parts aren't in their original packaging. I shipped my bike with new tires fitted and some other things, they didn't question the fact that the tires were spotless when they opened to check it.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by desmondo84
that depends entirely on who is inspecting your stuff and how thorough they feel like being that day.

Our inspector came to the house on day of container delivery. the delivery guys had left aside the bits that had been marked on the inventory of goods, he pocked his hand in a few boxes asked when I had got the tent and then left. 10mins I would say. But I do know of people where the inspectors have spent a good hour or so. No idea what happens if they inspect at the dock