Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

menningitis vaccination

menningitis vaccination

Old Jun 22nd 2006, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Alex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really nice
Default menningitis vaccination

Hi, I just thought I would tell other Mums thinking of coming to New Zealand of my recent experience.
We have been here now for 2 months, and are settling in fine....the girls are in school and there vaccination records were checked "yup, menningitis is there, fine"
However we recently were in a conversation with some expat G.Ps who advised us that the menningitis strain is different in New Zealand to that of the UK . I was quite shocked as I lost my Goddaughter at the age of 9 to it...and so I phoned the Doctors surgery and found this to be true.
I have now booked the girls in for there set of 3 injections.
I am probably telling people who already know, however better safe than sorry.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: menningitis vaccination

Yes, very True and all kids upto the age of 19 should be vaccinated here, it is FREE.
A friend of mine has one of her work collegues in hospital right now with meningitis, it's really nasty.
Be wise Imminunise (as the saying goes).
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, youre right its a different strain here. My 2 year old son was totally up to date with vaccs when we left UK. Here he had to have 7 more to catch up with the NZ kids.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Our kids need menningitis B & hib B (i thinks the B bit is right but they definatley need menningitis - 3 injections, & hib -3 injections) here in Nz to be up to date. They had all injections required in UK.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 9:37 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex
Hi, I just thought I would tell other Mums thinking of coming to New Zealand of my recent experience.
Really thoughtful of you to share that information. And I am so very sorry to hear about your Goddaughter. How extremely sad. It's just not something we really expect these days. Just felt compelled to say that and also how kind your message was. Carmen.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 7:38 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your Goddaughter.
We have not yet registered with a doctor (no-one sick yet, touch wood). So how do I get my kids done? Do I just go to the local doctor and ask for the meningitis injections and what is the age limit on it, I also have two older boys (14 and 15) would they need it done too? Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

If you see my post above all children upto the age of 19 have to have it. Ring yr local Doctor and ask them, it has to be done 3 times normally a week apart.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
We have not yet registered with a doctor (no-one sick yet, touch wood). So how do I get my kids done? Do I just go to the local doctor and ask for the meningitis injections and what is the age limit on it, I also have two older boys (14 and 15) would they need it done too? Thanks for any help.
we went to our local health centre & asked how to register, fill out a couple of forms & make an appointment to see the nurse ($18) who should let you know of any injections needed. i think that once you are registered its cheaper to see the Drs than if you're not & you go down for an energency. I'd pop in & chat to your haelth centre to find out for sure though.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Alex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really nice

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
Hi,
I phoned the surgery and spoke to the nurse who was really helpful, and she does the jabs, we don't actually have to see a Doctor. She did say that some children can have really achy limbs afterwards, some so bad they are off school for a week !!! , but that is only a few cases.
I must admit I will be quizzing her when we go about the Hib injections because I didn't know about those ones either.( This site is great 'cos without it I would not have known to ask!)
Good luck with telling the boys they are gonna get injected !!!
Regards,
Alex
Old Jun 26th 2006, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

tom's mum will become famous soon enoughtom's mum will become famous soon enough

Hopefully I can help to clarify the situation regarding vaccinations here and in the UK. I was a health visitor in the UK and vaccinate children here in NZ. In the UK children are offered the following vaccinations:

2, 3 and 4 months: Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), polio and Hib (DTaP/IPV/Hib) One injection
MenC One injection
Around 13 months old Measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) One injection
3 years and 4 months to 5 years old Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough) and polio (dTaP/IPV or DTaP/IPV) One injection
Measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) One injection

13 to 18 years old Diphtheria, tetanus, polio (Td/IPV) One injection

In New Zealand children are offered:

6 weeks and 3 months: Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), polio,
Hib/Hep B
Meningococcal B (MeNZB) vaccination Three injections.
At 5 months old they have: Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), polio,
Hepatitis B (hepB)
MeNZB
At 10 months old they need the fourth MeNZB Vaccination.

If a child starts the MeNZB course over the age of 6 months they only require 3 vaccinations and not the fourth.

At 15 months they have: MMR (measles, mumps and rubella)
Hib vaccination.

At 4 years they have Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), polio,
MMR.

Please ask me any questions or visit the Immunisation Advisory Website at:
http://www.immune.org.nz/

Many thanks

Helen

Last edited by tom's mum; Jun 26th 2006 at 10:42 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom's mum
Hopefully I can help to clarify the situation regarding vaccinations here and in the UK. I was a health visitor in the UK and vaccinate children here in NZ. In the UK children are offered the following vaccinations:

2, 3 and 4 months: Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), polio and Hib (DTaP/IPV/Hib) One injection
MenC One injection
Around 13 months old Measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) One injection
3 years and 4 months to 5 years old Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough) and polio (dTaP/IPV or DTaP/IPV) One injection
Measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) One injection

13 to 18 years old Diphtheria, tetanus, polio (Td/IPV) One injection

In New Zealand children are offered:

6 weeks and 3 months: Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), polio,
Hib/Hep B
Meningococcal B (MeNZB) vaccination Three injections.
At 5 months old they have: Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), polio,
Hepatitis B (hepB)
MeNZB
At 10 months old they need the fourth MeNZB Vaccination.

If a child starts the MeNZB course over the age of 6 months they only require 3 vaccinations and not the fourth.

At 15 months they have: MMR (measles, mumps and rubella)
Hib vaccination.

At 4 years they have Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), polio,
MMR.

Please ask me any questions or visit the Immunisation Advisory Website at:
http://www.immune.org.nz/

Many thanks

Helen

Also there is the dTap-IPV (adult Diphtheria - Tetanus - acellular Pertussis - Inactivated Polio Vaccine) at age 11 years.
You can now also have the chickenpox vaccine. My daughter got Chickenpox at the age of 14 and was so ill with it for about a month, if I had known about the vaccine I would have got this also.