Advise on Banking

Old Jun 21st 2006, 10:43 am
Just Joined

shanedowd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advise on Banking

Hello everyone,

Apologies if this is covered already in the forum, first post and very interested to hear on peoples experiences.

We will be arriving in Dunedin on the 31st July 2006, and now seems like a good time to make the necessary applications for a bank account. It would be great to hear your thoughts and advise.

Best regards,

Shane, Joanne and kids.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Advise on Banking

Originally Posted by shanedowd
Hello everyone,

Apologies if this is covered already in the forum, first post and very interested to hear on peoples experiences.

We will be arriving in Dunedin on the 31st July 2006, and now seems like a good time to make the necessary applications for a bank account. It would be great to hear your thoughts and advise.

Best regards,

Shane, Joanne and kids.
The advice I would give you is to look at www.interest.co.nz On that site you will see a table of all the financial institutions that compares their bank accounts including minimum balances, interest payments on balances and so forth. It is quite useful. Most institutions will allow you to open up to three months before you arrive. I have chosen HSBC and opened up my account already. I did that from a local HSBC branch here in Canada. HSBC only has branches in Auckland, but you may use a Westpac ABM and branch for deposits and withdrawls. There are a number of threads on this topic and I would encourage you to use the search.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

nickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant future

Hello everyone,

Best regards,

Shane, Joanne and kids.
Hi

I too have been researching banks. I haven't yet opened an account but it looks fairly easily online. Feed back on here would agree with that. I looked at each of the big banks that I know there are branches of in Tauranga. I checked out the basic accounts/fees and services etc. It depends how you use your account as to which account you will be better off with. I reckon it is as well to go just with one account until you are over there and can suss it out properly. In all fairness I use the bank a lot here, but not do so in NZ quite as much (convenience makes me call regularly here). This could mean that the account that seems like the best deal from here may not actually turn out to be so. I think it will be a suck it and see thing!
Old Jun 21st 2006, 3:55 pm
Heading for Oz

ForeignBody is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,

Best regards,

Shane, Joanne and kids.
Hi, I did a fair bit of research into this for my mother who is heading over to NZ soon. I found that the best deal for her was with kiwibank. Their accounts have had good reviews in the papers and on the net. They also let you open them whilst in the uk and put in money too. All very simple just download the forms and post them off.

Click Here for info...
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 3:29 am

taffinkent will become famous soon enough

Hi,

We opened 2 bank accounts in NZ from the UK before we arrived. One with The National Bank of New Zealand and the other with Westpac. It was done via the internet and post. Once opened, we transfered money using HIFX. When we arrived we validated the accounts ( all arranged over the internet ie. date, time , venue and contact name ) by showing our passports and Permanent Visa ( for a credit card ) and could then withdraw some money. One bank even rang us in the UK to see if things were OK !!! Cant see that happening on your High Street Bank ?!! We use Westpac here as they have discounts for Government employees.

Taff and Debs.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Hello everyone,

Best regards,

Shane, Joanne and kids.
the main banks generally let u open an account from the uk via their internet sites.

main banks are
nbnz.co.nz
westpac.co.nz
asb.co.nz
anz.co.nz
bnz.co.nz

we are with national bank (nbnz) and westpac, and asb has a good reputation as well

opening a bank account is one issue of immigration that is actually easier and less hassle than expected. dont get used to having things easy though....
Old Jun 26th 2006, 10:19 am
Freak of nature

asiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud of

Hello everyone,

Best regards,

Shane, Joanne and kids.
Yeah, Westpac account was very easy to open - via Internet. We had an introduction/validation meeting a couple of days after we arrived in NZ. We tried to open an account with HSBC, however they proved difficult to work with. A bit strange really, as I was a HSBC account holder in UK.
Free advice: (i) watch out for those banks which operate their call centres outside of NZ (ii) charges - some charge when you pay money in to your NZ account, most charge when you withdraw money , all appear to charge when you don't pay money in or withdraw out, saying that I think a minimum balance of $4k with kiwibank eliminates most if not all charges. (iii) when shopping you never get exact change either. And the 5c is soon to disappear I hear.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

shanedowd is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the information, very helpful.

Shane & Joanne