Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The McCann's again

The McCann's again

Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The McCann's again

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Popping next door - get real. Nothing better to do Ian? You should spend more time getting to know your wife/the fairer sex.
you know what I mean
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
I'd be very interested to see what you have to look like, to give an accidental overdose to a child. Dare ya.
Just a dare or a double dog dare
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:02 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by misterjingo
I don't think anyone presumes they murdered her, the current thoery suggests they either OD'd her on a sedative, or she had a bad reaction to one. Please note I said 'theory'.

Something i'm not going to go into, but is relevant to this case is I know a couple in which the mother is a doctor, and they *have* used sedatives on their children before (usually long car journeys). I was shocked by this, but it seems it isn't a totally uncommon thing to occur.
It may not be an uncommon thing to happen but there is NO evidence to show that the McCanns used sedatives on their children - just rumour and speculation in the press.

If the Evidence existed charges would have been laid by now.

People should be keep an open mind until/if the case ever makes it into a court room.

If anyone is interested to about read about the possible damage the Portuguese legal system has done you may like to read this
http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle2379833.ece
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
I have. But I lock it. And still watch it continuously. I would never leave them in it unlocked for exactly the reason you mention.
Well, that's ok then .

Would you take a briefcase of $100 notes and leave it wide open on your backseat, lock the car and expect it to be there when you got back? Are kids more or less precious?

The only "crime" the McCann's committed was leaving their kids alone that evening and that's something they'll have to live with for the rest of their lives.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

misterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nerine
If the Evidence existed charges would have been laid by now.
A counter to this could be they are trying make a very tight case before laying such charges due to how they messed the beginning of the investigation up. A mistake here would be extremely embarrassing for them.

People should be keep an open mind until/if the case ever makes it into a court room.
Agreed, although I think the amount of coverage this case has been getting will cause people to theorise.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:22 am

Tight case, did you read the article?

The first few hours of an investigation are the crucial ones.

The last time a child was abducted in the region the police "solved" it by beating a confession out of the mother.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

From the BBC

Madeleine film reports dismissed LINK TO REPORT

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 9th 2008 at 9:28 pm. Reason: Copyright issues - Rule 7. Excerpts of less than one papra or 4 sentences are OK. Link to report inserted .
Old Jan 9th 2008, 11:19 am

Good for the McCanns

Shows how the press manipulates the situation to suit their own interests.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

misterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nice

Tight case, did you read the article?

The first few hours of an investigation are the crucial ones.
I skimmed the article, but as with every article i've read, it wasn't impartial to the case. It favoured the McCann's. Which is no different from people who are presuming their guilt.
Innocent until proven guilty does not mean one has to shy away from questioning those presumed innocent.

The last time a child was abducted in the region the police "solved" it by beating a confession out of the mother.
And this has no bearing on this case. Innocent until proven guilty - and all that.
Even in the UK there have been some horrific miscarriages of justice - but that doesn't automatically draw into question the competence of the police or every case before or since.

I'm pretty much on the fence. If they are charged, and truly are innocent, this will come out in court.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 12:47 pm

Somehow I get the feeling that no-one has shied away from questioning the McCanns, least of all the press.

It may have a bearing on the case in a number of ways -

1. The killer of the other child may have been connected to Madeleine's abduction.

2. The police may have missed vital evidence because of a preconceived notion that the mother is always responsible for a child's disappearance.

The article I linked to was one that Jerry McCann posted a link to on his website.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

snooze71 is an unknown quantity at this point

1 They are doctors - an accidental overdoes is impossible. They would have had to have given such a large dosage it is impossible to do accidentally

2 if they are guilty they are the best actors in the world and deserve an oscar. Daughter is at creche all day, they take her to dinner bring her home and in the hour or 2 available to them they kill her, dispose of her body and then go and have dinner with friends and act completely normally. They dispose of the body so well that it still hasn't turned up. or maybe they keep the body for at least a month and then dispose of it in their hire car (very cleverly of course because the whole world is now watching them due to the attention they've drawn to themselves).

3. any body who has ever been on a mark warner/sunsail holiday or anything similar will know that they actively encourage you to leave your children in the room. the rareity is to use the babysitting service and intercoms, whilst provided, are limited. The mccanns come from a middle class world where crime does not register on their radar. There is no doubt in my mind (as i have been in the same situation as them and done the same ie left my child whilst on the same sort of holiday) that it would not even have entered their minds that maddie would be taken..they would only have been returning to the room to check that the children weren't ill/crying. Come and tell me i'm the worst mother in the world - look at my children and you will know i'm not. When i look at the mccanns all i can think is there but for the grace of god.....
Old Jan 9th 2008, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Somehow I get the feeling that no-one has shied away from questioning the McCanns, least of all the press.

It may have a bearing on the case in a number of ways -

1. The killer of the other child may have been connected to Madeleine's abduction.

2. The police may have missed vital evidence because of a preconceived notion that the mother is always responsible for a child's disappearance.

The article I linked to was one that Jerry McCann posted a link to on his website.
I'm not saying it's clear cut, just that the posted article was biased in favour of the McCanns - and arguing that other people are jumping to conclusions is a case of double standards.
An unbiased article would criticise the police investigation if needed (which it did), and would do the same to the McCanns (which it didn't) if there was need due to their actions during and after the event (there are many unanswered questions - which do not point to their guilt as such, but they need to be addressed).
Old Jan 9th 2008, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snooze71
1 They are doctors - an accidental overdoes is impossible. They would have had to have given such a large dosage it is impossible to do accidentally
Firstly dose varies over time due to many factors, secondly, please just google the amount of these 'impossible' overdoses are given by doctors each year, and how many thousands are killed because of them. Unless you are saying these doctors meant to give overdoses?
Old Jan 9th 2008, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

snooze71 is an unknown quantity at this point

"impossbile" was perhaps the wrong term but i'm saying if anybody is least likely to give their child an accidental overdose it is a doctor as they know how important correct doses are and are trained in this regard. Most doctors i know are very strict about doses they give their children but then that is eveidence of nought...

i wasn;t responding to you inparticular but just get annoyed when people say what despicable parents the mccanns are when they don't know them from adam (as it must be said I don't either).... just my two pennies worth for what its worth...
Old Jan 9th 2008, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

It's interesting house this case seems to polarise people into two different camps. Those who say they couldn't possibly have anything to do with their child's disappearance and those who think they may have.

As far as the media goes, I think the McCanns have been quite clever at managing and manipulating the media in the direction they want, and that the Portuguese police have been unjustly criticised by those who have been carried away by much of the media hype. I feel they are not nearly as incompetent as many would like to believe.

Perhaps only time will reveal the truth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.