British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   The McCann's again (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/mccanns-again-504674/)

teambwr47 Jan 8th 2008 7:25 pm

The McCann's again

Heard on the radio news yesterday that prosecutors in Portugal have stated they now have enough evidence to charge both parents and Robert Murat.

They've also stated they are no longer looking for anyone else in relation to the disappearance of the McCann's daughter Madeleine.

This case continues to twist and turn towards them being the people who've killed or been party to the killing of their daughter.

dreamfish Jan 8th 2008 7:28 pm

Re: The McCann's again

Originally Posted by niseysOH (Post 5759532)
Heard on the radio news yesterday that prosecutors in Portugal have stated they now have enough evidence to charge both parents and Robert Murat.

They've also stated they are no longer looking for anyone else in relation to the disappearance of the McCann's daughter Madeleine.

This case continues to twist and turn towards them being the people who've killed or been party to the killing of their daughter.

oh gawd thats awful - i cant believe they have done it. off to catch up on the news...

uk+kiwi Jan 8th 2008 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by niseysOH (Post 5759532)

Awful if true.

Can't find anything on this news though which is weird since I notice you said 'yesterday' in your post. One could therefore assume they have now been arrested? Which again appears nowhere. :confused:

UKNZAUS Jan 8th 2008 7:44 pm

Carl told me this too! He'd heard it on radio but when I looked online, I couldn't find anything on it

phil01 Jan 8th 2008 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl (Post 5759624)
Carl told me this too! He'd heard it on radio but when I looked online, I couldn't find anything on it

This was all I could google find...latest update 6 hours ago!

Representatives of Madeleine McCann's family have spoken to an entertainment and media company about turning the story of her disappearance into a film.
Clarence Mitchell, the spokesman for Gerry and Kate McCann, said the meeting with IMG before Christmas was positive, but that no deal had yet been signed.

Talks on a lucrative film deal were held amid concern the £1.2m fund dedicated to finding the four-year-old, who vanished in Portugal last May, is rapidly running out.

I really hope that they are not responsible it seems just too incredible..well for me to comprehend!

Debbie

wimpy Jan 8th 2008 8:25 pm

The McCanns only crime was being negligent in there care for Maddie, there is not a chance in a million that this is down to them.
The Portuguese police have been pathetic since day one with the investigation. I know they are a professional couple but there is no way that one or both of them would have cracked up with the pressure had they done it. :mad:

teambwr47 Jan 8th 2008 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by phil01 (Post 5759706)
This was all I could google find...latest update 6 hours ago!

Representatives of Madeleine McCann's family have spoken to an entertainment and media company about turning the story of her disappearance into a film.
Clarence Mitchell, the spokesman for Gerry and Kate McCann, said the meeting with IMG before Christmas was positive, but that no deal had yet been signed.

Talks on a lucrative film deal were held amid concern the £1.2m fund dedicated to finding the four-year-old, who vanished in Portugal last May, is rapidly running out.

I really hope that they are not responsible it seems just too incredible..well for me to comprehend!

Debbie

A film deal..............?????...:blink:

Bizarre in the extreme if you ask me.......

Read some news on CNN that that one of the so called 'Tapas Nine' who had dinner with the McCann's on the night that the their daughter disappeared has made a request to be re-interviewed by police and 'tell the whole truth' about the McCann's.....whatever that means?

CNN also suggested a while back that after discovering their daughter was missing the parents discussed with friends the legal issues involved with them having left madeleine alone in the room before then decided to call the local Police.

This is first and foremost a very very sad matter but equally an intriguing one if you have an interest crime cases.

wimpy Jan 8th 2008 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by niseysOH (Post 5759835)

Bizarre in the extreme if you ask me.......

Read some news on CNN that that one of the so called 'Tapas Nine' who had dinner with the McCann's on the night that the their daughter disappeared has made a request to be re-interviewed by police and 'tell the whole truth' about the McCann's.....whatever that means?

CNN also suggested a while back that after discovering their daughter was missing the parents discussed with friends the legal issues involved with them having left madeleine alone in the room before then decided to call the local Police.

This is first and foremost a very very sad matter but equally an intriguing one if you have an interest crime cases.

Bet both accusations were leaked by The Police

teambwr47 Jan 8th 2008 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by wimpy (Post 5759817)
The McCanns only crime was being negligent in there care for Maddie, there is not a chance in a million that this is down to them.
The Portuguese police have been pathetic since day one with the investigation. I know they are a professional couple but there is no way that one or both of them would have cracked up with the pressure had they done it. :mad:

Why is there 'not a chance in a million'......?

Have the Police been pathetic or just not come to the conclusion that the sympathetic masses want them to...?

Sadly I think they'll be charged with either assisting in or actually committing the abduction/murder of their daughter despite their attempts to overshadow their involvement via their huge and often completely bizarre press exposure.

wimpy Jan 8th 2008 8:42 pm

I know they are a professional couple but there is no way that one or both of them would have cracked up with the pressure had they done it.

Because of what I said here, but hey thats my opinion. One of the worst aspects of this case is that it has gone beyond the search for Maddie for most people. Now all they seem to do is rub there hands with glee waiting for the next little accusation and praying that they have some decent story to talk about for a week or two. :(

teambwr47 Jan 8th 2008 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by wimpy (Post 5759901)
I know they are a professional couple but there is no way that one or both of them would have cracked up with the pressure had they done it.

Because of what I said here, but hey thats my opinion. One of the worst aspects of this case is that it has gone beyond the search for Maddie for most people. Now all they seem to do is rub there hands with glee waiting for the next little accusation and praying that they have some decent story to talk about for a week or two. :(

The grim reality is that 'the search for Maddie' which has been the focus for so long is almost certainly now and has been for a long time, just a search for a body and burial site where more evidence can be uncovered.

Far from rubbing any hands with glee in response to any new information on the case, most people will now want to see whoever is responsible for her sadly almost sure death, is brought to justice and see new information as a step toward a conclusion. At the moment the only people it seems that are suspects for the crime are Mr Murrat and the parents themselves how ever much that's to the disdain of much of the public.

Sadly, if proved to be responsible, the McCanns would not be the first and certainly wouldn't be the last people to have sought over the top press attention after committing a crime of this nature. Its actually a known offender trait that's covered in UK homicide investigation and family liaison training.

Foxesecho Jan 8th 2008 9:04 pm

Nothing on th UK news about the McCans being charged.

Only talk about someone wanting to make a film about it. Which in my opinion is quite sick!

uk+kiwi Jan 8th 2008 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by niseysOH (Post 5759835)

Apparantly to raise funds for their 'finding Maddie fund' which will be depleted before the year end (almost 12 months away!) The fund currently stands at c.£1m and the film deal is for about £1.2m. Their Portuguese lawyers are on a monthly retainer of £50k. All according to press reports online.

teambwr47 Jan 8th 2008 9:16 pm

The Sunday mail this week carried a story on the Portuguese police having enough evidence to charge the McCanns and Murat. They have not done so but state they now want to re-interview the so called 'tapas nine'.
Link to the entire article

uk+kiwi Jan 8th 2008 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by niseysOH (Post 5760014)
The Sunday mail this week carried a story on the Portuguese police having enough evidence to charge the McCanns and Murat. They have not done so but state they now want to re-interview the so called 'tapas nine'.

Also covered here which is where some of us must have got the radio news....

NZ story

I'm pretty sure I read that online tonight (after your post) and it didn't say they had enough evidence to charge them (or else they would now have been arrested!)

It said that the evidence the Portuguese have (ie the blood in the car/apartment from months ago and nothing new) was being passed to someone else in an official capacity who has the ability to arrest them (Portuguese system 'rules' again) and NOT that there was sufficient evidence to arrest them.