British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Matamata ????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/matamata-461117/)

kato33 Jun 25th 2007 12:33 pm

Re: Matamata ?????

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 4965798)
whata whata???

/doing some hard padding in an effort to reach 1000 posts!!!!/

Totally lost the plot you have......LOL

Woodlea Jun 25th 2007 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 4965830)
Apparently, there is a 'Craigellachie' somwhere on the south island. It is my aim in life to have my photo taken against that town sign and send it back to Rothes as it is 3 miles up the road from my home village. Anyone able to help?

You know I thought it was Craig-a-leck-ie for a long time! What a bonny wee place.

I had a look on zoomin but couldn't find it in NZ.

I had a mate called Keith at school and I always wanted to go there and make him stand by the sign - cos it would be funny - but never did.

A bit like that wee village in Aberdeenshire called Lost that people keep stealing the sign for. A quirky place the NE.

karonious Jun 25th 2007 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Woodlea (Post 4965920)
You know I thought it was Craig-a-leck-ie for a long time! What a bonny wee place.

I had a look on zoomin but couldn't find it in NZ.

I had a mate called Keith at school and I always wanted to go there and make him stand by the sign - cos it would be funny - but never did.

A bit like that wee village in Aberdeenshire called Lost that people keep stealing the sign for. A quirky place the NE.

Tell me Woodlea, kin ye spik the dorric? I have 2 very valuable books that came with me: 'teach yourself dorric' and 'dorric for swots'. I think you may find them interesting! Mr B bless him, is English. When he is very very pissed, I pressure him into reading from the aformentioned books and he is funny :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Woodlea Jun 25th 2007 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 4965947)
Tell me Woodlea, kin ye spik the dorric? I have 2 very valuable books that came with me: 'teach yourself dorric' and 'dorric for swots'. I think you may find them interesting! Mr B bless him, is English. When he is very very pissed, I pressure him into reading from the aformentioned books and he is funny :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I confess I canna spek the Doric quine and I'm also a Guffy like Steve, bit efta 15 years in the NE I feel like a teuchtar sometimes even in NZ!

Lang may yer lum reek! It's a braar rar moonlit nicht, feus yer doos?

Woodlea Jun 25th 2007 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 4965947)

And me dear old Ma bought me a bottle of Low Flyer on her way over so my typing has gone to ratshit!!

karonious Jun 25th 2007 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Woodlea (Post 4965985)
I confess I canna spek the Doric quine and I'm also a Guffy like Steve, bit efta 15 years in the NE I feel like a teuchtar sometimes even in NZ!

Lang may yer lum reek! It's a braar rar moonlit nicht, feus yer doos?

Aye cluckin!

You have been there tooooooooooo long!
Time to try something new perchance?
Awesome and then my absolute favorite: 'choice as!'

Woodlea Jun 25th 2007 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 4966014)
Aye cluckin!

You have been there tooooooooooo long!
Time to try something new perchance?
Awesome and then my absolute favorite: 'choice as!'

What about 'good as gold'

karonious Jun 25th 2007 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Woodlea (Post 4966055)
What about 'good as gold'

Ahhh, you are GOD! :thumbup::);)

Elsie03 Jun 25th 2007 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 4965422)
Can anyone tell me what its like??

OH just got a firm job offer with the likelyhood of him working from there as a truckie.

Is it an ok place or not. Depending on what you lot say, I will do my EOI once the paperwork is through.

Oh yeah and we got offered $16.50/hour. Is that really that bad? :blink:

kato33

Hi Kato

Well done on the job offer...hope you dont mind me asking but did your OH go through an agency? My OH is also after a truckie job and has just completed a free self assessment with an agency to find out if he has suitable experience, etc.

Be interesting to know how you guys did it.

Cheers
Els

Boopy Jun 26th 2007 8:16 am

Google on geonet.
Matamata has earthquakes everyday, sometimes up to 3 a day. Apparently it's been like that for the last 5 years. :unsure:

weebossyboots Jun 26th 2007 11:37 am

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 4965422)
Can anyone tell me what its like??

OH just got a firm job offer with the likelyhood of him working from there as a truckie.

Is it an ok place or not. Depending on what you lot say, I will do my EOI once the paperwork is through.

Oh yeah and we got offered $16.50/hour. Is that really that bad? :blink:

kato33

Hi there,
My husband is from Matamata and I stayed there (or close by on a farm) for 5 months. It is a very small country town, with a couple of primary schools, a couple of intermediates and Matamata College (High school). It has 2 (main) main streets - one with the post office and one that takes you through town. It is small and if you want to experience small town NZ then you won't be disappointed.

It seems to do well - it has a couple of family restaurants, take away places and a cafe. It even had a Burger King (if that's good or bad). There's a small supermarket but for bigger shopping and more choice your maybe better going to Hamilton which is about 40 minute drive away (I passed about 10 cars in rush hour on that very journey). There are hairdressers, a Farmers (clothes shop) and various others - couple of jewellers, stationary shop. I know there is an Angelican church and a Roman Catholic church if that's your thing.

It is a farmers town, being in the heart of the dairy capital. It's clean, relatively safe, and surrounded by beautiful rolling countryside. Housing is reasonably priced. There's even hot pools to soak away the stress of, well, not a lot really

It's about 1.5 hours drive to Rotorua (I think, memory getting a bit hazy) and about the same to Mount Maunganui and the beach.

I am trying to be impartial. I am moving to NZ in Oct/ Nov but we are moving to the Mount and not Matamata - mainly cos I have my heart set on being near the beach. My other choice would be Hamilton, which you may prefer and is a small (but much bigger than Matamata) university town.

Hope this helps a bit. But the choice is yours

Oh, yeah, there are earthquakes all over NZ. I don't know about there being 3-5 a day. i felt one the whole time I was there and it just felt like a lorry driving passed - nothing more.

kato33 Jun 26th 2007 11:54 am

Originally Posted by weebossyboots (Post 4970715)
Hi there,
My husband is from Matamata and I stayed there (or close by on a farm) for 5 months. It is a very small country town, with a couple of primary schools, a couple of intermediates and Matamata College (High school). It has 2 (main) main streets - one with the post office and one that takes you through town. It is small and if you want to experience small town NZ then you won't be disappointed.

It seems to do well - it has a couple of family restaurants, take away places and a cafe. It even had a Burger King (if that's good or bad). There's a small supermarket but for bigger shopping and more choice your maybe better going to Hamilton which is about 40 minute drive away (I passed about 10 cars in rush hour on that very journey). There are hairdressers, a Farmers (clothes shop) and various others - couple of jewellers, stationary shop. I know there is an Angelican church and a Roman Catholic church if that's your thing.

It is a farmers town, being in the heart of the dairy capital. It's clean, relatively safe, and surrounded by beautiful rolling countryside. Housing is reasonably priced. There's even hot pools to soak away the stress of, well, not a lot really

It's about 1.5 hours drive to Rotorua (I think, memory getting a bit hazy) and about the same to Mount Maunganui and the beach.

I am trying to be impartial. I am moving to NZ in Oct/ Nov but we are moving to the Mount and not Matamata - mainly cos I have my heart set on being near the beach. My other choice would be Hamilton, which you may prefer and is a small (but much bigger than Matamata) university town.

Hope this helps a bit. But the choice is yours

Oh, yeah, there are earthquakes all over NZ. I don't know about there being 3-5 a day. i felt one the whole time I was there and it just felt like a lorry driving passed - nothing more.

Cheers for that info.

We really want the Mount/Papamoa/Tauranga ourselves so I am beginning to think we should go where we really want to.
Going the other side of the world, you have to go with your original plans I think as this is where we have researched. Saying that I am doing research on Whangerai as some on here say its lovely. We too want to be coastal.

I will show OH anyway, so thank you for taking the time to reply.

Nici

weebossyboots Jun 26th 2007 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 4970778)
Cheers for that info.

We really want the Mount/Papamoa/Tauranga ourselves so I am beginning to think we should go where we really want to.
Going the other side of the world, you have to go with your original plans I think as this is where we have researched. Saying that I am doing research on Whangerai as some on here say its lovely. We too want to be coastal.

I will show OH anyway, so thank you for taking the time to reply.

Nici

No problem, no-one else seemed to know much about Matamata (not that i have a mindfull of knowledge) - good luck - and we may end up as neighbours - I'm the mad Scot with unruly hair screaming like a banshee at the kids - and the husband

kato33 Jun 26th 2007 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by weebossyboots (Post 4970894)
No problem, no-one else seemed to know much about Matamata (not that i have a mindfull of knowledge) - good luck - and we may end up as neighbours - I'm the mad Scot with unruly hair screaming like a banshee at the kids - and the husband

I'm the mad essex gal doing the same

LOL

maysie Jun 26th 2007 9:32 pm

when we arrived in Jan 2006 I had an interview in matamata lined up (we came over here jobless and took a gamble) we new we wanted to live in Tauranga so based ourselves here and then just went looking for work. The only time I went to matamata was for the interview and for a day to look around and it certainly wasnt for us. Too quiet, too rural and definately not for us.. we had set our hearts on living near to the beach and we stuck to that and then found work within a few weeks. We have been here ever since and the lifestyle here has far exceeded our expectations. There is so much work here but people want to see you face to face.

good luck and PM me if you want

Rich