British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Matamata ????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/matamata-461117/)

kato33 Jun 25th 2007 11:21 am

Matamata ?????

Can anyone tell me what its like??

OH just got a firm job offer with the likelyhood of him working from there as a truckie.

Is it an ok place or not. Depending on what you lot say, I will do my EOI once the paperwork is through.

Oh yeah and we got offered $16.50/hour. Is that really that bad? :blink:

kato33

karonious Jun 25th 2007 11:37 am

Re: Matamata ?????

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 4965422)

OH just got a firm job offer with the likelyhood of him working from there as a truckie.

Is it an ok place or not. Depending on what you lot say, I will do my EOI once the paperwork is through.

kato33

I just know it is a small place in the Waikato region. My daughter has just come back from a sleepover there. If you can wait, I can try to get the friend's parent's email address and you could ask them yourself. Mum sounds like a real Kiwi to me and she works at the primary school Melissa went to.
As for the $16.50 per hour - I was the lowest paid person on my ward including the care assistants (who have all been there forever) at $20 dollars per hour. I felt poorly paid in comparison with everyone else and we live in Hamilton. Maybe out in a small community, that would pay the bills and the mortgage - prices out there are likely to be lower for housing. if you want to PM me your prospective employers I could make enquiries - no guarantees though!! :cool:

Bugger! Just realised I had it muddled up with Whatawhata! really sorry about that!

kato33 Jun 25th 2007 11:40 am

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 4965516)
I just know it is a small place in the Waikato region. My daughter has just come back from a sleepover there. If you can wait, I can try to get the friend's parent's email address and you could ask them yourself. Mum sounds like a real Kiwi to me and she works at the primary school Melissa went to.
As for the $16.50 per hour - I was the lowest paid person on my ward including the care assistants (who have all been there forever) at $20 dollars per hour. I felt poorly paid in comparison with everyone else and we live in Hamilton. Maybe out in a small community, that would pay the bills and the mortgage - prices out there are likely to be lower for housing. if you want to PM me your prospective employers I could make enquiries - no guarantees though!! :cool:

Bugger! Just realised I had it muddled up with Whatawhata! really sorry about that!

As ever, the old faithful ones reply.

What would we do without you Karonious.

Cheers for the offer or the email addy, it would be good to speak to someone in the area.

PM coming over.

Nici

ceri75 Jun 25th 2007 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 4965422)

kato33

HOBBITON !!!:thumbsup:

kato33 Jun 25th 2007 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by ceri75 (Post 4965723)

I don't even like the bloody film.............OH is vertically challenged so maybe he will enjoy it more. I am sure he could fit in those litlle doorways.........I am a dead women if he sees this
LOL
LOL

lardyl Jun 25th 2007 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by ceri75 (Post 4965723)

indeed......driven through the charming small town a couple of times in the last few two months :)
BTW, aren't NZ place names hard work some times? I notice that some people in the office who have lived here most of their lives have similar problems to me - I suppose I will learn in the end. :)

kato33 Jun 25th 2007 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 4965748)
indeed......driven through the charming small town a couple of times in the last few two months :)
BTW, aren't NZ place names hard work some times? I notice that some people in the office who have lived here most of their lives have similar problems to me - I suppose I will learn in the end. :)

Did you like??????????????

lardyl Jun 25th 2007 12:20 pm

Oh yeah, its in a valley just to the east of the Kaimai ranges which separate it from the Bay of Plenty. Found that the valley was pretty foggy when I drove through but the area (AFIK) is good horse rearing country, seems a bit like the UK as far as the countryside goes. Not difficult to get from there to Corromandel, Auckland, Hamilton and BoP so geographically a resonable spot (hence the transport Co's location I suppose). Otherwise I know nothing and I ma sure others will have more useful info. Good Luck, LL :)

lardyl Jun 25th 2007 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 4965772)
Did you like??????????????

I didnt stop - just noticed the sign for Hobbiton and the main street :)

karonious Jun 25th 2007 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 4965733)
I don't even like the bloody film.............OH is vertically challenged so maybe he will enjoy it more. I am sure he could fit in those litlle doorways.........I am a dead women if he sees this
LOL
LOL

A 'small' part of me really wants to tell him this...............:rofl:

lardyl Jun 25th 2007 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 4965782)

whata whata???

/doing some hard padding in an effort to reach 1000 posts!!!!/

Woodlea Jun 25th 2007 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 4965748)
BTW, aren't NZ place names hard work some times?

Yip, I really struggle with lots of places in Christchurch, like Belfast, Bromley, Brighton, Richmond, St Albans, Sydenham, Beckenham etc.....;)

karonious Jun 25th 2007 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 4965798)
whata whata???

/doing some hard padding in an effort to reach 1000 posts!!!!/

GO TO BED! :rofl::p

karonious Jun 25th 2007 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Woodlea (Post 4965808)
Yip, I really struggle with lots of places in Christchurch, like Belfast, Bromley, Brighton, Richmond, St Albans, Sydenham, Beckenham etc.....;)

Apparently, there is a 'Craigellachie' somwhere on the south island. It is my aim in life to have my photo taken against that town sign and send it back to Rothes as it is 3 miles up the road from my home village. Anyone able to help?

kato33 Jun 25th 2007 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 4965782)

:thumbsup::rofl::thumbsup:

Oh please don't. I may have to move on my then...........

kato33

Oh sod it.................go on then. Give him something to do tonight when he is moaning. Victor meldrew is based on him, but obviuosly not his size, that would be danny devito.

Now I am really for it. Crap!!!