Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

making friends abroad

making friends abroad

Old Apr 10th 2013, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

thintom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default making friends abroad

Hi I'm.seriously looking.into Christ church for the rebuild.as.I'm a carpenter and would love the experience.

Basically.wondering how to meet.people or if there is a.New.migrants club type thing?
Old Apr 11th 2013, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: making friends abroad

Originally Posted by thintom
Hi I'm.seriously looking.into Christ church for the rebuild.as.I'm a carpenter and would love the experience.

Basically.wondering how to meet.people or if there is a.New.migrants club type thing?
In my experience, it happens all kinds of ways.... when we came out in 2007, we were able to meet lots of other expats from this forum, a lot we are still good friends with, okay there all poms, but it does help. We made loads of friends through my son's school, meeting lots of other mum's and dad's from all over. Friends from work, neighbours, going to the gym, i've even made friends through enrolling for swimming lessons...
Old Apr 11th 2013, 6:11 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Work is a obvious one, my first job way back in 2004, I met another English lad who started just before me and we are great mates still today.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Cool what's the expat community.in Christchurch like
Old Apr 11th 2013, 10:37 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Cool what's the expat community.in Christchurch like
Don't think expat.

Think all ChCh people.

You'll be fine if and when you come.

Work will help and then where you stay will help to. Just let it evolve.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Yea I no I will do u no if many of these people are put into special accommodation for the earthquake rebuild?
Old Apr 11th 2013, 4:10 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

You will meet people and make friends the same way you do in the UK, it's fine.

As to accommodation, I know the place where we got married was taken over by rebuild people who were living there, so yes there will be special accommodation. Whether it is available to you, I don't know. Something to ask your employer
Old Apr 11th 2013, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

I'm really looking forward to it the place looks amazing is it hot? How bad is the rain.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 4:31 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Christchurch can be hot in the summer but only once have I found it unbearable. I am not a fan of hot weather We did have an air conditioner in our house but I can only recall using it once.
The sun is a lot brighter and even a winter's day can be very pleasant and sunny. You will need good sunglasses and use sunblock!!

It rains reasonably often but you're less likely to see the long continual grey days that you see in the UK. You may get rain, sunshine and clear skies and mist all in one day. Four seasons in one day!