Machu Picchu

Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:13 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Machu Picchu

Any one been to Peru and in particular Machu Picchu ?
Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Machu Picchu

No, but if you're going I shall be dreadfully envious, I would love to go!!
Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
Any one been to Peru and in particular Machu Picchu ?
Did you see 'An Idiot Abroad' the other night by any chance?
Old Mar 25th 2011, 9:01 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i did and watched a Docco on it, how they built the place was amazing , its on my bucket list, just have to find a few more people to bring the cost down , i work for Correction so will ask them all first and see if we can get over 10 , looking at doing the Amazon trip first then onto a 4 day trek on the Inca trail to Machu Picchu .
Old Mar 25th 2011, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i did and watched a Docco on it, how they built the place was amazing , its on my bucket list, just have to find a few more people to bring the cost down , i work for Correction so will ask them all first and see if we can get over 10 , looking at doing the Amazon trip first then onto a 4 day trek on the Inca trail to Machu Picchu .
Rather you than me... couldn't stand all those bugs... on a camping trek...
Old Mar 25th 2011, 10:51 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

You can go on your own on the 4-day trek as its the same price - a per-person fee with the trekking companies who bolt together 8-15 people for the hike.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

padozwi has a brilliant futurepadozwi has a brilliant futurepadozwi has a brilliant futurepadozwi has a brilliant futurepadozwi has a brilliant futurepadozwi has a brilliant futurepadozwi has a brilliant futurepadozwi has a brilliant future

Yes,have been to Peru and Machu Pichu.What would you like to know?
Old Mar 26th 2011, 1:23 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I have and it is an amazing place to visit. I did the 4 day Inca Trail to get to Machu Picchu but also travelled through the southern part of the country down to Lake Titicaca. The Inca Trail was hard work in places but fun, I made an effort to get fit before I went so that coping with the altitude was not as arduous as it would have been. All that hard work gone to waste now...
I would suggest seeing more of Peru whilst you are there eg Nazca lines, Lake Titicaca, Colca Canyon, Arequipa. I personally found being in the Amazon the least captivating, too hot and humid and well just river and jungle. All depends on what you want to see and do of course but I found the places I mentioned above more interesting than the Amazon.

I did a three week tour which was organised through an adventure tour company. I had limited time and even more limited Spanish so was not going to go it alone! A lot of the taxi drivers, shop owners and sellers on the street do not speak English so a little bit of Spanish is handy. I picked up quite a bit whilst there.
Feel free to PM me for more info

Last edited by Persephone; Mar 26th 2011 at 1:28 am.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice

Its a great place and definately worth the 4 day walk- although from what I gather lately, there is alot of talk about limiting the number of tourists entering due to the damage to the environment.

Peru is awsome and even with little/no Spanish, its not so hard to move around on your own.

United Mice is a good company to help organise the trek up the mountian, and as has been said above, give yourself plenty of time to acclimbatize to the altitude. I struggled the first day of the walk, but after that was fine. As was also suggested- you really ought to see more of the country as there are plenty of places of interest. There are many ruins and with some research you could find other multiday treks that would take you to equally intersting places without adding to the environmental impact caused by the likes of me!

Enjoy!
Old Mar 26th 2011, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

We did a week-long charity trek in Peru which culminated at Machu Picchu - although we didn't do the Inca trail (we got the train the last bit).

Some iconic settings are a disappointment when you see them, but Machu Picchu is everything you think it will be and more.

We climbed the mountain facing it and it was simply amazing. It's a beautiful country with many differnt microclimates - the hour spent watching humming birds among a field of orange flowers will stay with me forever.

We even had a munch on some guinea pig = tastes like chicken!
Old Mar 26th 2011, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

We had a fantastic time with these lovely folks. Not too expensive either.

http://www.dragoman.com/
Old Mar 26th 2011, 10:45 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

machu picchu...

is that a children's animated character - like a hard-knock "macho pingo"?
Old Mar 26th 2011, 11:40 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer
Some iconic settings are a disappointment when you see them, but Machu Picchu is everything you think it will be and more.

We climbed the mountain facing it and it was simply amazing. It's a beautiful country with many differnt microclimates - the hour spent watching humming birds among a field of orange flowers will stay with me forever.

We even had a munch on some guinea pig = tastes like chicken!
Agree, just wish we had had more time there.
We climbed Huayna Picchu which is the big mountain at the back if you look at the usual view of Machu Picchu [taken from the Sun Gate]. It's worth doing and gives you a different perspective on the place. It is however not great if you're scared of heights-you have to sign in and out in case you fall off as it's a near vertical climb up the side.
I also tried guinea pig, tasted good but a bit fiddly to eat and is not a good choice for anyone who has a problem with their food looking like it did when alive